Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
htfc_morris

Racism in English football

Hi everyone,
I am currently conducting a research report into racism in English football and whether the rise of social media has caused a rise in racism. I would be very grateful if you could take a couple of minutes of your time to fill out this short survey for me please?

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/XRM2SV8

Thanks and good luck for the rest of the season

LSM

Done!

I think attention seeking, retweet hungry trolls are doing most of the racist things (like calling big african players gorillas) to feed their egos and feel important and little kids are putting more fuel into the fire thinking it's a joke.

Racism in football has been around a lot longer than Social Media and there is less racism in football now than in the past. You're trying to create a problem that isn't there. Social media just helps to bring like minded people together.

Getting along with people with different beliefs and from different backgrounds is something you can ignore these days. You can just ignore everyone and open Twitter and Facebook to happily see some random 'like' your rant. And the rant was probably based on a sensational article that was corrected long after you read it. And anyone who could disagree has probably been muted anyway. I doubt social media helps society just allows us to retreat into our little groups. There was an ex Facebook director who quit a while back saying something similar.

Edited by Foxxed

5 minutes ago, sylofox said:

Obviously to young to have gone to games in the 70s and 80s.

Players can block people on social media. They could not stop 5/6k on the kop doing monkey calls BNP chants and the like.

True. But that had reduced before social media arrived. And real life society reduced that. He could still argue social media increased racism compared to 2004 or whatever. I can't say I've seen it though.

6 hours ago, Foxxed said:

True. But that had reduced before social media arrived. And real life society reduced that. He could still argue social media increased racism compared to 2004 or whatever. I can't say I've seen it though.

Point taken. But it's more likely little tw@s trying to look hard than swaths of grown men that meant it.

3 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Social Media can cause an instant rise in anything, good or bad. Some Football Twitter dweeb might make a racist joke for retweets, but at the same time there are positive campaigns that spread quickly too. 

Name 483 of them.....

It’s society in general at the moment. Social media seems to be a consequence-free environment for people to spout their views, often anonymously. Brexit didn’t help- the people who voted for xenophobic reasons feel that’s the majority view of the population and acceptable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There are more and more walls going up all round the world. ..to stop refugees to stop asylum seekers and to stop economic migrants.  20 years ago you couldn't talk about controlling imigration without sounding racist... but now we have that vocab.  You will see protectiomism.. trump... brexit... the eu in brussels etc etc.  The uk swing to corbyn is unusual. ... many countries will swing right.  As folk try to protect what they see as theres you will see more xenophobia.  

Against this background i think foot ball crowds reflect society... or....perhaps foodball are slightly better that society?

22 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

It’s society in general at the moment. Social media seems to be a consequence-free environment for people to spout their views, often anonymously. Brexit didn’t help- the people who voted for xenophobic reasons feel that’s the majority view of the population and acceptable.

This is the key thing for me. In real life you face the social consequences of being a dick. On Twitter you've got a Russian bot farm telling you you're amazing.

16 hours ago, FIF said:

Racism in football has been around a lot longer than Social Media and there is less racism in football now than in the past. You're trying to create a problem that isn't there. Social media just helps to bring like minded people together.

How is the OP trying to create a problem by sharing a poll? Try not to be miserable for once.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, The_77 said:

How is the OP trying to create a problem by sharing a poll? Try not to be miserable for once.

If you don't understand, either ask or say nothing and get over my comment about American football fans - it's a long time ago.

10 hours ago, Foxxed said:

This is the key thing for me. In real life you face the social consequences of being a dick. On Twitter you've got a Russian bot farm telling you you're amazing.

Don't tell Trump about that Russian bot Farm,he is in enough shit without another temptation waved in his face!