Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

England - Road to the World Cup - Russia 18

Amongst all the hysteria this week, around the potential / rumoured actions of Russia attempting to kill people on British soil, Gareth Southgate announced an England squad, which seems to have largely gone undiscussed on here.

Goalkeepers: Jordan Pickford, Nick Pope, Jack Butland, Joe Hart

Defenders: Ryan Bertrand, Eric Dier, Joe Gomez, Alfie Mawson, Harry Maguire, Danny Rose, Kyle Walker, John Stones, James Tarkowski, Kieran Trippier

Midfielders: Dele Alli, Lewis Cook, Jordan Henderson, Adam Lallana, Jesse Lingard, Jake Livermore, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Jack Wilshere, Ashley Young

Forwards: Raheem Sterling, Marcus Rashford, Jamie Vardy, Danny Welbeck

Games against Netherlands / Italy

No place this time around for;

Kane, Drinkwater, Jones, Smalling, Forster, Delph, Cahill, Shelvey, Walcott, Barkley, Chambers, Clyne, Gibbs, Sturridge, Heaton, Shaw, Cresswell, Abraham.

Some of those are injured, some Gareth has just decided to bin off.  

What Livermore or Welbeck have done to deserve a call up ill never know. I would have had Shelvey and Wilson

When you see the French/Belgian teams it just shows how we are so much weaker in terms of actual quality. I cant wait for the World Cup as I love tournament football but I am holding no expectations for England so they can hopefully surprise me by getting past the Round of 16.

Out of that squad I would go for

Pickford

Stones, Tarkowski, Maguire

Walker, Dier, Wilshere, Rose

Ali     Sterling

Vardy

I think its the best we can do, depending on how Tarkowski gets on. Argument for Young at left wing back but I think we need a left footer. Dare I say it, Kane for Vardy and that's probably our best side.

Edited by RowlattsFox

Such a wank squad lol. I'd actually have Nick Pope starting between the sticks. Welbeck and Livermore should be investigated as they've clearly got something on someone in the FA.

We'll be lucky to escape the group.

7 hours ago, Sly said:

Amongst all the hysteria this week, around the potential / rumoured actions of Russia attempting to kill people on British soil, Gareth Southgate announced an England squad, which seems to have largely gone undiscussed on here.

Goalkeepers: Jordan Pickford, Nick Pope, Jack Butland, Joe Hart

Defenders: Ryan Bertrand, Eric Dier, Joe Gomez, Alfie Mawson, Harry Maguire, Danny Rose, Kyle Walker, John Stones, James Tarkowski, Kieran Trippier

Midfielders: Dele Alli, Lewis Cook, Jordan Henderson, Adam Lallana, Jesse Lingard, Jake Livermore, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Jack Wilshere, Ashley Young

Forwards: Raheem Sterling, Marcus Rashford, Jamie Vardy, Danny Welbeck

Games against Netherlands / Italy

No place this time around for;

Kane, Drinkwater, Jones, Smalling, Forster, Delph, Cahill, Shelvey, Walcott, Barkley, Chambers, Clyne, Gibbs, Sturridge, Heaton, Shaw, Cresswell, Abraham.

Some of those are injured, some Gareth has just decided to bin off.  

What a rank squad. Think we'll lose both, and the frightening thing is neither of the two teams we are playing are going to Russia.

Gareth clearly doesn't fancy Shelvey, he's a far better footballer than Livermore but he has the potential to be a big liability. He'd prefer someone reliable with a 'good' personality than a loose cannon. 

Goalkeeper, a third CB and both central midfield are the obvious weaknesses. Assuming we go with a Chelsea/Tottenham style 3-4-2-1shape

Maguire, Stones, Rose, Walker, Sterling, Alli, Kane all nailed on starters for me 

Edited by Richard

The quality of England players is appalling.

How many of those players would get into a top squad? IE Germany.

edit: I'm pleased for Tarkwoski though, glad he's got a look in.

Edited by Fox92

11 minutes ago, Richard said:

Gareth clearly doesn't fancy Shelvey, he's a far better footballer than Livermore but he has the potential to be a big liability. He'd prefer someone reliable with a 'good' personality than a loose cannon. 

Goalkeeper, a third CB and both central midfield are the obvious weaknesses. Assuming we go with a Chelsea/Tottenham style 3-4-2-1shape

Maguire, Stones, Rose, Walker, Sterling, Alli, Kane all nailed on starters for me 

I'm for Shelvey too. So good on the ball and actually moves the ball forward.

Regardless, the midfield will get eaten alive.

I don't think england are too far away from a quality starting 11. The only position where quality is lacking is central midfield and possibly on one of the wings. 

There has certainly been worse england sides that this

Butland

Walker  Maguire  Stones   Rose

Dier      Other CM

Sterling        Ali       Other winger

Kane       

If Joe Hart is 4th choice then I'm not too bothered about his inclusion.

Defensive selections are spot on for me, good to see Tarkowski included, well deserved.

Don't understand the inclusions of Lewis Cook and Jake Livermore, two of Winks, Drinkwater, Shelvey or Ward-Prowse should be in there.

Welbeck's selection is laughable, I would've preferred Abraham or Murray.

For these qualifiers I'd try out two formations 4-2-3-1 and 3-4-2-1.

The main issue for me is the 4 goalkeepers thing.

It reminds me of Shakespere here, Gareth just doesn't have it in him to upset the old guard so Hart has to come along even though he has no right being in the squad!

Picking 27 is stupid as well. Either pick 30 and treat these two games like you will have to the two world cup warm ups (30 down to 23) or pick 23 and let everyone have a chance!

Also the under 21 squad includes the likes of Alexander Arnold and Harry Winks who are more than worth a senior place if Welbeck and Hart are!!

Edited by AjcW

3 hours ago, AjcW said:

The main issue for me is the 4 goalkeepers thing.

It reminds me of Shakespere here, Gareth just doesn't have it in him to upset the old guard so Hart has to come along even though he has no right being in the squad!

Picking 27 is stupid as well. Either pick 30 and treat these two games like you will have to the two world cup warm ups (30 down to 23) or pick 23 and let everyone have a chance!

Also the under 21 squad includes the likes of Alexander Arnold and Harry Winks who are more than worth a senior place if Welbeck and Hart are!!

The only thing I can think is he has absloutley no idea who is no.1,2,3 or even 4 is out of those four and intends to play each one for a half over the two games. 

If not 4 is just stupid, we don't need to take four keepers to a world cup.

4 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

The only thing I can think is he has absloutley no idea who is no.1,2,3 or even 4 is out of those four and intends to play each one for a half over the two games. 

I'd have let him off with similar thinking but he did it for the last round of games and I think two got a game? So it wasn't like a half each.

On 3/16/2018 at 12:00, Richard said:

I'd question that about Livermore. He was involved in that shambles in Barcelona recently for West Brom, has struggled to hold down a place in their side which is bottom by 8 points, isn't rated by their fans one bit. Don't forget as well the drug thing a couple of years ago, feel a bit harsh mentioning it as it sounded like there were reasons for it but it still hardly smacks of reliable.

There's just literally no reason at all he gets in the squad and the consistency he makes it is starting to concern me that he's actually going to make the final 23.

Him and Welbeck would be joke selections. Both garbage, both doing nothing at international or club level.

I'd actually take Shelvey personally. Agree he's a loose cannon but he's a bit different. We need to gamble more.

On 3/16/2018 at 16:53, Manwell Pablo said:

If he makes his decision over those two friendlies, based on 45 minutes each then we're in trouble.

Agree with the poster who said it reeks of not upsetting the old guard. Hart's been woeful for ages now and shouldn't be in the squad.

Tickets on sale today (to registered England supporters) for Nigeria friendly in June.  General sale next Monday.  Will probably be five Foxes involved, mostly on the Nigeria side.  Will this be the highest number of Leicester players to have featured in an international?

Edited by WilmslowFox