Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
the messenger

Puel

I stand to be corrected but aren't  Puel's stats worse than Shakespeare's?  Given Shakespeare's "hard" start this season and Puel's "simple" run in surely that's taking the word "progress" a bit far.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Can't believe people still trot out the "we went backwards under him" line. What are people comparing that to, our final league position in 2016 FFS?

I'm comparing it to the fact that we lost heavily and were thoroughly outplayed by very mediocre teams. Nobody can honestly say they saw us thrashed twice by Palace and could see any signs of improvement. Nobody could have seen us against Newcastle, West Ham and tell me we were unlucky. Lame draws against Stoke, Swansea and Southampton. 

I honestly can't see where people are getting their optimism from.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

I'm comparing it to the fact that we lost heavily and were thoroughly outplayed by very mediocre teams. Nobody can honestly say they saw us thrashed twice by Palace and could see any signs of improvement. Nobody could have seen us against Newcastle, West Ham and tell me we were unlucky. Lame draws against Stoke, Swansea and Southampton. 

That's not a comparison though is it. That's a list of the shite results/performances we've had while he's been manager. There were bad performances and results under Ranieri and Shakespeare too, and we were in much worse positions when they left than we are now.

People have every right to say the football's been awful at times, I won't dispute that, but you can't confuse that with us regressing as a club because the facts speak for themselves. We haven't.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Webbo said:

In 2018, Palace and Newcastle had the same number of points than Arsenal and Chelsea, they're not the shitty teams you're trying to make them.
For someone who is so keen about judging a club on such a short period of time, that should mean something: they are now Top 6 clubs and had massively improved thanks to their genius managers. /s

Edited by yks
  • Like 3

For me it's isn't where we finished, it's the fact I started to stop looking forward to games, often found games dull and uninspiring 

I'm 50/50 on the guy, mainly due to the lack of alternatives.

On balance he deserves a chance to get in he's own players, have a pre-season and go again.

But I can see the owners pulling the trigger, if he has poor start.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, yks said:

In 2018, Palace and Newcastle had the same number of points than Arsenal and Chelsea, they're not the shitty teams you're trying to make them.
For someone who is so keen about judging a club on such a short period of time, that should mean something: they are now Top 6 clubs and had massively improved thanks to their genius managers. /s

So Roy Hodgson, who didn't have a pre season and only one transfer window,has out performed our transformative manager?

• Like 4

23 hours ago, lifted*fox said:

ah, some real life management experience - finally! 

it makes me do a 'lol' on here - so many arm-chair managers who probably haven't had to manage a team of people in their lives. 

sometimes a proper leader has to make tough decisions that alienate certain staff and forgo the love and adoration of everyone to make improvements and push things forward.

early in my management career someone said to me 'you're not here to be liked or loved, you're here to be respected and get the job done'. 

after initially twatting about trying to keep everyone happy / on-board with my ideas / plans it clicked and I realised that you cannot keep everyone happy and sometimes have to just **** people off to get to the end result. 

that's life, actual real life.

I learned this through playing Football Manager, meaning hours of playing Football Manager is now justified.

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, lifted*fox said:

ah, some real life management experience - finally! 

it makes me do a 'lol' on here - so many arm-chair managers who probably haven't had to manage a team of people in their lives. 

sometimes a proper leader has to make tough decisions that alienate certain staff and forgo the love and adoration of everyone to make improvements and push things forward.

early in my management career someone said to me 'you're not here to be liked or loved, you're here to be respected and get the job done'. 

after initially twatting about trying to keep everyone happy / on-board with my ideas / plans it clicked and I realised that you cannot keep everyone happy and sometimes have to just **** people off to get to the end result. 

that's life, actual real life.

OK, so let’s get some results, then.

34 minutes ago, Webbo said:

So Roy Hodgson, who didn't have a pre season and only one transfer window,has out performed our transformative manager?

Yes.
And he also out-performed Antonio Conte and Arsene Wenger who had a far better team.

That does'nt mean Hodgson became a genius or Puel, Wenger or Conte became shitty managers, that just proves that judging a manager based on a period of 6 months doesn't make any sense. (So please do yourself a favor and stop)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, yks said:

Yes.
And he also out-performed Antonio Conte and Arsene Wenger who had a far better team.

That does'nt mean Hodgson became a genius or Puel, Wenger or Conte became shitty managers, that just proves that judging a manager based on a period of 6 months doesn't make any sense. (So please do yourself a favor and stop)

Gee, if you say so.

• Haha 1

The team let itself down at the end of the season. Claude partially to blame and the players also, the old guard especially mixed with a bit of bad luck in injuries and suspensions. 

Finally the downtooling players won't get a chance to do it a 4th time as the board can see we need consistency in the managerial chair. Even Claudio only had 18 months. 

I was one furious with Puel after Palace. I was calling for Marco Silva to be instated immediately. With hindsight the club needs a long term manager and we have an experienced one now after "amateur" Shakey. 

Give him a summer to weed out the surplus and get in quality and bed in a more possession based style he likes. 

As fans we need to get behind the team and the manager this summer and come out with a bang in August. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

Might be wrong but does anyone else think the owners are waiting to see what happens with fulham in the play offs? 

No - jokanovic is from the same footballing stable as puel. There is no point. As Stan says, steve Bruce would no doubt appeal to some of the old school ‘up and at em’ on here 

imo, nothing has changed- unless a more attractive option becomes available (Sarri just been sacked by Napoli but sadly will go to Chelsea - he would suit us), puel will stay 

48 minutes ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

I feel better about Puel, as he is seeming to be targeting the right kind of players. Let's hope he does get things right.

Yes I can go with that. We do need to give him a transfer window and see who he can bring in, and, as importantly, offload.

The club is full of total mediocrity at the moment, probably all on Mickey Mouse money. If Musa, for instance, is getting paid 60k per week, the world of football has gone to Hell in a handcart. It oozes obscenity from every pore and I’m afraid we’ve become just as bad as the rest of em. 

Edited by Col city fan
  • Like 2

If as is likely now , he is staying , then we need to get behind him.

For his part he needs to motivate the teams he puts out and try and improve 

his communication skills for everyone’s benefit.

Edited by LestaAl
Spacing

Nice to see some positive posts on this thread. Back the manager and enjoy the ride up or down that’s life enjoy it everyday. You never know what’s round the corner. Puel might turn out to be a fabulous manager given the chance. Or a flop but give our managers a chance. If we lose it makes  the next win sweeter. Enjoy that and move on. Appreciate the football of the other team or the smell of the person by you. Winning and losing at complementary with out one you cannot appreciate the other . ?

• Like 3

On 23/05/2018 at 16:38, Webbo said:

Woy came in when they couldn’t be much lower, so he started from a lower base. It couldn’t get any worse for them. Ours was a different job, and not helpful to compare imo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, waylander said:

Nice to see some positive posts on this thread. Back the manager and enjoy the ride up or down that’s life enjoy it everyday. You never know what’s round the corner. Puel might turn out to be a fabulous manager given the chance. Or a flop but give our managers a chance. If we lose it makes  the next win sweeter. Enjoy that and move on. Appreciate the football of the other team or the smell of the person by you. Winning and losing at complementary with out one you cannot appreciate the other . ?

Have you read my smelly supporters thread? 

• Haha 2

On 23/05/2018 at 16:38, Webbo said:

You could say that but, Roy only had to get them to stay up to be considered a successful season. 

Puel, to what we're led to believe has been brought in to change the way we play as well as make progress as a club. 

Obviously it can all be argued, but we did make progress under him. We were in or around the relegation zone when he took over, and we finished 9th. 

This whilst trying to change our style of play, to a more possession based style. 

Where as Roy just had to win games by any way necessary. 

So different ways of looking at it. We just massively stalled along the way too. 

The miserable, clueless anti-Puel brigade must be delighted that they’ve got another season of whinging to look forward to. Oh how I envy the enjoyment they are going to get in the coming months.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Daggers said:

The miserable, clueless anti-Puel brigade must be delighted that they’ve got another season of whinging to look forward to. Oh how I envy the enjoyment they are going to get in the coming months.

You forgot to take your meds again, daggars.