Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
the messenger

Puel

The problem for me is the spirit and fearless attitude we once had has totally been lost, yet we have a group that need this ethos to thrive. Our squad isn’t full of gifted individuals as found in the top 6, but we do still have a very good side that together is capable of achieving better than it currently is. 

I don’t think we should be trying to completely overhaul the way we play. We have a team that can continue our attacking style but Claude doesn’t appear to have the personality to install the spirit and fight to get the most out of this squad. 

Edited by NeilLCFC
  • Like 2

He makes some weird decisions at times and I feel almost as if it's due to him putting too much faith in some players. I can't tell if when he's leaving the subs so late it's because he thinks we'll definitely get a goal to take the lead and he'll use them as a time-wasting tactic when in reality, time and time again we're not breaking teams down. When did we last lead a game at home?

I still think the tools at his disposal aren't really fitting what he needs. He's tried to change the way we play, which you'd say he's had relative success doing, but it's putting demands on some players that just aren't up to it.

I'll judge him more when he's got some more of his own signings in. The last few games at home have been bad but I don't think the players are blameless here.

I'm also worried that if we do sack Puel this calendar year, we'll just turn into another one of those useless bottom half clubs that this league is full of, that survive every year not through being any good, but more by being less crap than the others. Clubs with no clear direction and clubs who sack a manager every season - who do eventually fall through the trap door. I can't be arsed with years of us going through that phase before the inevitable happens.

I want Puel to be shown some real faith in by the board, for him to be able to bring in his own players, for him to have some control over the signings, because it's clear to me the managers' authority in the transfer window has dropped at this club and it's no surprise at all that we're suffering as a result.

It's about time we plugged some gaps in this side. I swear to god if we go and spend big on another number 9 and play him behind Vardy I'll shoot myself.

• Like 2

Lets be honest we were linked with Coleman and Pardew changing Managers twice a season is hardly going to make us look like an attractive proposition to a new manager or players and amazed that some on her are blaming him for a goalkeeping error and the fact when we got into attacking positions on numerous occasions the final ball let us down. Think playing "his way" will mean a lot more quality down the flanks Man City have spent something like £150 million improving their full backs/wing backs between Fuchs,Chilwell,Simpson Amartey and Albrighton we have spent something like £7 million which is around £5 less than Palace paid for a guy called Jeff. We have a base to move forward and try to be the best of the rest and establish ourselves. Give the guy a break, if he brings in Sagna,Glenn Johnson, Charlie Adams and Andy Carroll in the summer then feel free to have a go

1 hour ago, DrezZone said:

Name someone better who can replace him that'll actually want to come to Leicester. 

I dare you.

Fans need to wake up and realize that most of the players here don't suit his style. There will be a big summer clearout this year. Puel will bring in players that can actually pass and stuff.

Which would mean he isn’t the right manager for us...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

Yeah let's keep playing with the dross we have until get relegated again.

Or we could sell all the players we have to get the players that suit his style and it doesn’t work out and we would be screwed! 

But remember we are 8th with the players he has now! 

• Thanks 1

Just now, chapero82 said:

Or we could sell all the players we have to get the players that suit his style and it doesn’t work out and we would be screwed! 

But remember we are 8th with the players he has now! 

We only need FBs, a 10 and a Mahrez replacement if he goes this summer. Morgan's successor is already avalaible aussming he's still there in the next transfer window.

Calling for Puels head is utterly ridiculous. Some need a reality check.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AS78UK said:

Puels career next season is fully dependent on how well he replaces Mahrez in the winter. He manages that well, we will have a good season, if not he will be gone before the next January window. 

If he waits that long then he won't see that time anyway.

1 hour ago, NeilLCFC said:

The problem for me is the spirit and fearless attitude we once had has totally been lost, yet we have a group that need this ethos to thrive. Our squad isn’t full of gifted individuals as found in the top 6, but we do still have a very good side that together is capable of achieving better than it currently is. 

I don’t think we should be trying to completely overhaul the way we play. We have a team that can continue our attacking style but Claude doesn’t appear to have the personality to install the spirit and fight to get the most out of this squad. 

I do worry that at the minute we're a bit caught in the middle of everything. Are we an ordinary side with a brilliant team ethic, or are we a technically good side with some mental flaws? Neither really. I can't really describe it.

1 hour ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I don't understand the Puel criticism. What did he do wrong today? Not bring on Diabate earlier? Really? So at 1-1 with Chelsea you wanted to sacrifice our right back and go hung ho. Effectively leaving Willian/Hazard with oceans of space in behind us? Or maybe at 1-1 you wanted him to take off Albrighton? Effectively taking off our best player and leaving the Chelsea right wing back free? Yeah, losing from that position would've been worth it? The man did nothing wrong tactically! We were fine and well in a game. We lost due to an individual error - how can the manager control this with substitutions?

Seriously, makes no sense the criticism of the manager today. We do need a right back who can attack and defend - give him the summer to find one. We need to get Silva/Ndidi and Iborra playing time. This season can only help. We need to find a match winner once Mahrez goes - the scouts need to earn their money here. The manager could not have done more than what he did today. Oh, Chelsea are not at the paces and ran through the mill against Barca a few days earlier. So what? They're still ****ing Chelsea we are not exactly going to cut them open at every opportunity are we? 

I agree that the players were a lot at fault today. I can't blame him too much until he's put his own stamp on this side with his own players. His only signing is Diabate for about £2mil. If we sack him while that's all we've let him spend then we're going to be rightly viewed as a loose cannon to any prospective managers and players. It'll do more damage than good.

25 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

If he waits that long then he won't see that time anyway.

I do worry that at the minute we're a bit caught in the middle of everything. Are we an ordinary side with a brilliant team ethic, or are we a technically good side with some mental flaws? Neither really. I can't really describe it.

I tend to think to the first option holds some truth. We're actually a solid midtable team composed of mostly very willing players with either limited abilities or a potential which is yet to be fullfilled. Two players make us stand out and let us hope for more: Vardy and Mahrez. That's exactly where lies the danger imo. We're worlds away from challenging the top 6 be it one season or consistently and I'm curious to see how we wll fare without Mahrez. Vardy might be one of the best strikers of the league and a club legend, he's still the tip of the spear and can't do much without being properly fed.

I have high hopes for Diabaté , Iborra and hopefully Silva. But we still need proper FB (on both wings) and a proper 10 if we ever want to challenge the top 6.

Edited by ZeGuy

16 minutes ago, Donut said:

The problem for Puel, is that he is going to lose a key asset in Mahrez in the summer and this wont be his fault.

Whoever comes in, its highly likely they will be worse than Mahrez, and at best will need a settling in process.

So he will be on the back foot straight away next season and fans will be asking for him to leave.

For some reason, a lot of Leicester fans seem very reluctant to buy into anything other than up and at em, high tempo low quality direct football. I think Puel has tried to make some positive changes and we have produced some very good displays INCLUDING today in my opinion, but the balance of the squad just isnt right to execute the plans.

Its so blindingly obvious though, the signs are already there he will be hounded out. Someone else will come in and for 5 games things will improve and people will hail them as the answer.......then itll wear off. then theyll be sacked........repeat repeat repeat until total boredom.

Agree with this. My fear of this is why I want us to stick with Puel, and if we do cave in and sack him, then big questions need asking again at the suits at LCFC.

I'm really worried we're going to become Swansea.

2 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Agree with this. My fear of this is why I want us to stick with Puel, and if we do cave in and sack him, then big questions need asking again at the suits at LCFC.

I'm really worried we're going to become Swansea.

Exactly.

I wouldnt be in the least bit surprised if Carvahal did enough to keep them up this season, and soon as they do it all goes completely flat and hes gone.

This kind of approach leads to nothing sustainable. the clubs who do regularly change managers and still have success, the likes of Chelsea and Watford for example (Watford are a small club, theyre successful at what they do) are successful because the manager is a smaller cog in their overall machine, hes not the omnipotent manager in the style we think of managers, like a Wenger or Ferguson, and they work under a clearly defined sensibly planned structure.

Random manager hopping is boom and bust. Riding waves of bounce and slumps until one manager doesnt get a bounce and youre stuffed.

2 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I don't understand the Puel criticism. What did he do wrong today? Not bring on Diabate earlier? Really? So at 1-1 with Chelsea you wanted to sacrifice our right back and go hung ho. Effectively leaving Willian/Hazard with oceans of space in behind us? Or maybe at 1-1 you wanted him to take off Albrighton? Effectively taking off our best player and leaving the Chelsea right wing back free? Yeah, losing from that position would've been worth it? The man did nothing wrong tactically! We were fine and well in a game. We lost due to an individual error - how can the manager control this with substitutions?

Seriously, makes no sense the criticism of the manager today. We do need a right back who can attack and defend - give him the summer to find one. We need to get Silva/Ndidi and Iborra playing time. This season can only help. We need to find a match winner once Mahrez goes - the scouts need to earn their money here. The manager could not have done more than what he did today. Oh, Chelsea are not at the paces and ran through the mill against Barca a few days earlier. So what? They're still ****ing Chelsea we are not exactly going to cut them open at every opportunity are we? 

We were the home side, Chelsea had played mid-week (and overseas) and were not at their best. They're a few places above us, nothing more. On top of that, we were Champions the season before last when they finished mid-table. It's not unrealistic or unreasonable to ask questions when we lose a critical game like this one.

I think it's okay for people to worry that we didn't get a shot on target in the first half of a home game, and not for the first time. And everyone I spoke to, and every single pundit as far as I'm aware, was saying at half-time that Iheanacho needed removing, and yet it took Puel a further 20 minutes to make the move. As a one-off question mark, you could debate it or gloss over it, but when there's a 20-30 minute delay in his proactive decision-making every single game, and so often to our detriment, it's hard to shrug off. It's reasonable to wonder why, over time, our manager has waited so long, and conceded the initiative in so many games, before reshuffling his pack.

It was our game to take the initiative in today, but it was Chelsea who played their cards, Chelsea who took the initiative and us who responded to it afterwards, when it was all too late. I respect what Puel's done and, as it stands, I'd like to see him remodel our side, but you don't even need the power of hindsight to see how questionable his match-day management is.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

My only criticism of Puel was when Chelsea bought Cahill on, that’s when Gray or Diabate should of come on, and put Albrighton right back

For me Chelsea had settled for pens, they never looked like scoring, that was our big chance to finish them off.

will wait to see what he signs in the summer, and what he clears out. but the bloke worries me with his faith in 3-4 players which most on here see also as crap players yet he continues to pick them ahead of others who get very little or no time at all. he is either stupid or pig headed.

1 hour ago, bpfox said:

will wait to see what he signs in the summer, and what he clears out. but the bloke worries me with his faith in 3-4 players which most on here see also as crap players yet he continues to pick them ahead of others who get very little or no time at all. he is either stupid or pig headed.

Or (3rd option) he knows way more than any of us do

8 hours ago, DrezZone said:

Name someone better who can replace him that'll actually want to come to Leicester. 

I dare you.

Fans need to wake up and realize that most of the players here don't suit his style. There will be a big summer clearout this year. Puel will bring in players that can actually pass and stuff.

Oh shut up and go away!

seriously i’d go for Benitez unhappy at Newcastle.

I personally don't really get this "we lack fight and attitude" - I don't think we do. I just think we're going about the game in a different way. 

We had so much more of the ball last night than we probably ever have before vs Chelsea. I think it all boils down to the fact that we're maybe a few players short really. And I mean - let's not kid ourselves. 2 quarter finals, 8th (currently). I think at the start of the season most would have taken that. Cut out a few individual errors and add some attacking threat and I think we're a top 6 side.

For me, Simpson isn't really a "bombing forward" type of right back. Chilwell gets forward well but - defensively is lacking somewhat. 

Morgan isn't getting any younger although for the most part I thought he was ok last night. Sign Dragovic/someone else and I think we're good. 

We can't play 4-4-****ing-2 for the rest of our lives. We can't play on the counter attack for the rest of our lives. We have to evolve. Personally I think Puel is the right man to do that.