Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
the messenger

Puel

Just now, Ricey said:

Team still sit back and we now struggle more than ever to break them down.

Not really the case though is it? Compare our percentage of possession recently versus that of last season, and then compare our points and position in the league. We might sometimes struggle if they are very well drilled (every time struggles), but we're much, much better than last season.

3 minutes ago, Ricey said:

Team still sit back and we now struggle more than ever to break them down.

More than ever? We're three goals off our entire total from last season and one goal off our total for our first season. We're also higher in the league than both of those seasons. So essentially we're struggling more than the season we won the league where we caught people cold and was never, ever going to be repeated. 

The point is we're trying to learn to play a different way, to have different options. Until we have the attacking full backs it's always going to be a bit stunted, as we saw last night. We've still counter attacked teams and scored goals that way, people still sit back because they know we can do that. We need to improve our play with the ball, that was obvious when we were failing with the counters and sitting with 28% against absolute dross teams.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, chapero82 said:

That’s what the January transfer needed and we didn’t get anybody 

And Puel's control over that is?

Club (Rudkin/Macia) failed as a whole or didn't want to pay over the odds. Wouldn't hold it against Puel. 

21 minutes ago, chapero82 said:

January is always renowned for being difficult to sign players. I'm glad we didn't just throw money at any old player. Our scouting has been hit and miss throughout the last few years so I hope given the extra time, we have some good players lined up. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, chapero82 said:

We got Diabaté.

If you think that you can sign good players in january without being ripped off, you can't be more wrong. If they're avalaible and even want to come here, that is.

Anything's good to have a go at Puel, so it seems.

• Like 1

The biggest problem I’m finding with Puel is he is trying to play a style of football that doesn’t suit our players! I hope and pray for the rest of the season he wakes up and realises that a possession, technical, style of football is not going to work with the likes of Wes, Simpson, Ndidi etc....

Einstein said the definition of “insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results”.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I don't understand the Puel criticism. What did he do wrong today? Not bring on Diabate earlier? Really? So at 1-1 with Chelsea you wanted to sacrifice our right back and go hung ho. Effectively leaving Willian/Hazard with oceans of space in behind us? Or maybe at 1-1 you wanted him to take off Albrighton? Effectively taking off our best player and leaving the Chelsea right wing back free? Yeah, losing from that position would've been worth it? The man did nothing wrong tactically! We were fine and well in a game. We lost due to an individual error - how can the manager control this with substitutions?

Seriously, makes no sense the criticism of the manager today. We do need a right back who can attack and defend - give him the summer to find one. We need to get Silva/Ndidi and Iborra playing time. This season can only help. We need to find a match winner once Mahrez goes - the scouts need to earn their money here. The manager could not have done more than what he did today. Oh, Chelsea are not at the paces and ran through the mill against Barca a few days earlier. So what? They're still ****ing Chelsea we are not exactly going to cut them open at every opportunity are we? 

Great post.

I think it's ridiculous to suggest sacking him this early. He's been since the end of October and we're in with a chance of Europe.

What worries me is what his plan will be when Mahrez leaves, but we rely on Riyad because we have nothing beyond pumping it long to Vardy without him. Yesterday was evidence that we're in dire need of ball-playing full backs and I'm sure he's aware of that. He's implemented a new style, mid-season. What Ranieri did so well and what Shakespeare did for a bit was capitalising on what we do best, but that "counter attacking" is stale and predictable. 

I've got faith in him and thank god that we've got a proper manager instead of the ridiculous Pardew, Hughes, Moyes and Allardyce merry-go-round. If we sack him without giving him a proper chance, that's where we'll end up. 

Edited by RonnieTodger

The biggest crime was the lack of pressure in the first half of extra time. Both sides were knackered but Chelsea clearly moreso, especially the centrebacks. THAT was when changed were needed. We should have had them pressed back in their own half with fresh legs to get at them from the 90th minute and we were lacklustre and paid for it.

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

More than ever? We're three goals off our entire total from last season and one goal off our total for our first season. We're also higher in the league than both of those seasons. So essentially we're struggling more than the season we won the league where we caught people cold and was never, ever going to be repeated. 

The point is we're trying to learn to play a different way, to have different options. Until we have the attacking full backs it's always going to be a bit stunted, as we saw last night. We've still counter attacked teams and scored goals that way, people still sit back because they know we can do that. We need to improve our play with the ball, that was obvious when we were failing with the counters and sitting with 28% against absolute dross teams.

We are struggling more than ever against the bottom-half teams that park the bus at our place. No wins against Swansea, Stoke and Bournemouth in our last three home games is surely proof of that? Even last season we'd have picked up more points in those matches.

My point being that his remit was to make us better at breaking teams down who sit deep, yet more than ever it seems like the deeper the opposition sit, the more we struggle.

Give the guy a chance, he is trying to change the way we play. 

He isn't pep by any means, but he struggled to get man city playing how he wanted in his first season. 

If we finish 7th or 8th that is a good season. And taking out the anomaly of us winning the league it is our best finish in the premier era.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, filbertway said:

Out or interest why then? He came on to replace an injured centre back?

Because for me it felt the right time, fresh legs with 25 minutes to go.

And with them just coming back from Spain, it would have tested there energy reserves, the trouble is we will never know.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, teblin said:

Give the guy a chance, he is trying to change the way we play. 

He isn't pep by any means, but he struggled to get man city playing how he wanted in his first season. 

If we finish 7th or 8th that is a good season. And taking out the anomaly of us winning the league it is our best finish in the premier era.

His job is to evolve us, but he needs to be getting the best out of the team at the same time.

This season, the way things have panned out, we've had wonderful opportunities to push the top 6, win the League Cup and progress to at least the FA Cup Final. There is no doubt in my mind we are underachieving at the minute under Puel.

He will rightly be judged a few months into next season, when hopefully he has more square pegs to fill his square holes, but I think if we miss out on 7th this season, the pressure will be on him right from the start of next season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tringfox said:

The biggest problem I’m finding with Puel is he is trying to play a style of football that doesn’t suit our players! I hope and pray for the rest of the season he wakes up and realises that a possession, technical, style of football is not going to work with the likes of Wes, Simpson, Ndidi etc....

Einstein said the definition of “insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results”.

Yes, quite agree. When will we draw clear of the relegation zone?

29 minutes ago, Ricey said:

We are struggling more than ever against the bottom-half teams that park the bus at our place. No wins against Swansea, Stoke and Bournemouth in our last three home games is surely proof of that? Even last season we'd have picked up more points in those matches.

My point being that his remit was to make us better at breaking teams down who sit deep, yet more than ever it seems like the deeper the opposition sit, the more we struggle.

You say struggling against those teams, yet its not like we didn't create anything in those games, because we did.

3 points from those 3 games is a bad return when youd want at least 5 I would suggest, but how can you ever be a good team with sustained improvement if youre happy to accept 30% possession every week and MAYBE sucker punch someone to win.

Its ironic that teams fans' moan about style of play, and yet we seem to be the opposite, we WANT our team to play LESS football.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Stan said:

Yes, quite agree. When will we draw clear of the relegation zone?

You obviously didn’t agree, hence your sarcastic comments. I am not anti Puel, I am a realist and from the Brian clough era of playing to people’s strengths and if it’s not working...change it!!

2 hours ago, Beechey said:

I think people forget just how awful it was last season watching us getting turned over because when we had the ball for prolonged periods, we didn't know what to do with it.

It was painful. You would just have players with the ball holding their hands up because all the players would either hide or just wait for a hoof. Now we at least we have players making themselves available and moving off the ball. 

It can be tedious at times but we were never going to be a fluid possession team straight the way with a few players that cant hack it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tringfox said:

You obviously didn’t agree, hence your sarcastic comments. I am not anti Puel, I am a realist and from the Brian clough era of playing to people’s strengths and if it’s not working...change it!!

Our players strengths are playing on the counter with balls over the top, which was swiftly found out after our league winning season and got our manager sacked the following season, it doesn't work any more, bar the odd occasion defenders switch off against us

And to change it we need to make some new signings, which we can't do until the summer. Yes we could have bought some players to fit in with our new style of playing in January, but for overly inflated prices, which i'm personally glad we didn't do

7 minutes ago, Gerbold said:

N'Didi is an exceptional player. You give him far fewer kudos than he warrants.

Your probably right on that one, I just don’t see the exceptional player when he’s so technically inept! Spoilt with Kante I suppose!