Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
the messenger

Puel

.....Well I think it is quite clear that Puel is staying!!!

The owners have appeared to called the players bluff and are retaining his services. This situation has happened twice and they are not prepared to side with the players, on this occasion, as a matter of principle.Irrespective of the upcoming results, he will be at the helm, for the next season. A lot of people on this forum believe there is a culpability with the players and they will now have to either step up or put in transfer request as the owners are not budging.

The possibility of lesser contracts and their age will greatly affect their ability to maintain there present salaries or elevated Premiership status. The new acquisitions will take precedent and Puels ideas will be put in palace with the old guard looking on.

This is a "proxy" war by the owners and a war the are guaranteed to win. They are investing heavily into this club and view their investment as a long term thing. Should next season end in relegation then they will still be here funding our return, they are not going anywhere and these constant sackings will no longer be a feature of this club. I believe it is a price they will be willing to pay. It seems you take them on at your own risk.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Puel's got a bad reputation from his time at Southampton (although they did well...). Our team has a bad reputation from our second season with Ranieri. Neither is free of blame here, I reckon.

Depends on how you define "doing well".

Southampton's last 21 games under Puel: W6 D4 L11

Four goals scored in their last eight matches of the season.

Should he lose the two last games with us this season, his record in the past 21 matches with LCFC will read: W4 D6 L11

Goals scored in the past five matches: Two. Both of them by Vardy.

That'd be a worse record - and that with a squad that is arguably better/more talented/more expensive than Southampton's last season.

Btw, no goals or assists by Mahrez in the past six matches.

2 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Not having that. There's absolutely no way they'll want to risk relegation due to having a principle fight. If they feel they have to sack Claude Puel to stay in the premier league, they'll sack him. 

....at this moment whether he is the right man or not is irrelevant to the owners. The need to break the player monopoly is the goal!!!!!

1 hour ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Just seen Puels presser, well as much as I could get through. The man genuinely thinks he is doing a good job, he is either tone deaf to not hear the boos or blind to not see the thousands running towards the exit on Saturday.

Why bother? You can't stand him, will never like him or agree with what he says, what's the point of listening to it?

6 hours ago, Gerard said:

Dragovic coming out with the statement he would sign as long as Puel wasn't here is damning and probably said with the backing of the dressing room.

Sucks that we have players that feel totally fine about openly saying such stuff about their boss.

Benitez would be an almost guaranteed game changer. Thanks to the Macia connection and probably a bigger budget than he’ll get at Newcastle, you never know?

Unai Emery another great shout, but might find the delights of Leicester a tad hard sell for Mrs Emery.

Wouldnt be unhappy with Marco Silva or David Wagner, but I’d hope we can do better.. 

• Like 1

The official club twitter account tweeted a clip of his press conference today with a caption of something along the lines of “Puel building for the future”. That tweet was deleted and replaced with a caption that read “Puel talks about facing the Gunners...”.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Depends on how you define "doing well".

Southampton's last 21 games under Puel: W6 D4 L11

Four goals scored in their last eight matches of the season.

Should he lose the two last games with us this season, his record in the past 21 matches with LCFC will read: W4 D6 L11

Goals scored in the past five matches: Two. Both of them by Vardy.

That'd be a worse record - and that with a squad that is arguably better/more talented/more expensive than Southampton's last season.

Btw, no goals or assists by Mahrez in the past six matches.

I'm focusing on their league finish tbh. My worry is we sack him and this time next year we have another team-manager conflict. And if there really is a team-manager conflict now, and we sack the manager, we'll almost guarantee another conflict in the future.

Why do we need to change...I love low possession & caviler attacking football... I don't want change n transition..we don't have the player's for it.. we'd need to change the entire squad...get big Sam in he absolutely suits what we are about. Don't want to see us keep the ball moving it side to side n trying to walk the ball in....it's boring...Crab football...

4 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

I'm focusing on their league finish tbh. My worry is we sack him and this time next year we have another team-manager conflict. And if there really is a team-manager conflict now, and we sack the manager, we'll almost guarantee another conflict in the future.

That may be or may not be.

We've been a revolving door for managers for pretty much all of our club's history. The last manager to last more than four years before Pearson's second stint with us was O'Neill.

And that's pretty much always been the case in the past 40 years. You can go even further back and more than two years were the exception rather than the norm.

Would things have panned out differently if we had shown more patience in some of these men? Who knows...

I don't see Puel as the sole posterboy of our shortcomings, that'd be naïve. However, he doesn't help himself with the way he's conducting himself in public and - more importantly - with his team selections and justifications therof. And managers almost always walk first.

23 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

We've been a revolving door for managers for pretty much all of our club's history. The last manager to last more than four years before Pearson's second stint with us was O'Neill.

And that's pretty much always been the case in the past 40 years. You can go even further back and more than two years were the exception rather than the norm.

Would things have panned out differently if we had shown more patience in some of these men? Who knows...

I don't see Puel as the sole posterboy of our shortcomings, that'd be naïve. However, he doesn't help himself with the way he's conducting himself in public and - more importantly - with his team selections and justifications therof. And managers almost always walk first.

Don't forget that some of those managers weren't sacked by us but moved onto greener pastures.

40 minutes ago, Ricey said:

The official club twitter account tweeted a clip of his press conference today with a caption of something along the lines of “Puel building for the future”. That tweet was deleted and replaced with a caption that read “Puel talks about facing the Gunners...”.

I saw that too, there was a sarcastic exclamation mark at the end of that first caption.

Also very interesting that the social media chose to showcase a question about manager criticism in the clip, out of the 50 mins of press conference footage they could have used. And splice in various images of miserable looking fans. Clearly someone in the social media team isn't happy with Puel lol

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.....Well I think it is quite clear that Puel is staying!!!

The owners have appeared to called the players bluff and are retaining his services. This situation has happened twice and they are not prepared to side with the players, on this occasion, as a matter of principle.Irrespective of the upcoming results, he will be at the helm, for the next season. A lot of people on this forum believe there is a culpability with the players and they will now have to either step up or put in transfer request as the owners are not budging.

The possibility of lesser contracts and their age will greatly affect their ability to maintain there present salaries or elevated Premiership status. The new acquisitions will take precedent and Puels ideas will be put in palace with the old guard looking on.

This is a "proxy" war by the owners and a war the are guaranteed to win. They are investing heavily into this club and view their investment as a long term thing. Should next season end in relegation then they will still be here funding our return, they are not going anywhere and these constant sackings will no longer be a feature of this club. I believe it is a price they will be willing to pay. It seems you take them on at your own risk.

Don’t believe that for one minute. The owners were embarrassed by the lap of honour they are proud people they know a lot of fans are unhappy with what’s going on. 

They want to build this club into a top 6 who regularly play in Europe. They want a new training ground, they want to expand the stadium. They will not sit back and watch a man relegate us next season and not do anything about it.

• Like 1

As unpopular as keeping Puel is he knows which players to clear out in the summer. If we sack Puel and get a new guy in hes not gonna have a clue who the deadwood are or who the locker room cancers are (if any). The players have done this to three managers in a row now and yet we're still blaming the manager? Unless we get Pearson back or someone else who will command respect from the off it will happen to the next fella too.

I still think we give Puel the summer and at least the first ten games of next year to see improvement. If it's not significantly better, then ok, get rid and we'll have plenty of time to get another manager in just like we did this year when the players fuched Shakespeare.

Edited by Wizerud
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

There's a difference between revolving door managers and the squad pushing managers out through disagreements though. The latter means any new manager will suffer the same fate.

2 hours ago, The Wizard said:

Why do we need to change...I love low possession & caviler attacking football... I don't want change n transition..we don't have the player's for it.. we'd need to change the entire squad...get big Sam in he absolutely suits what we are about. Don't want to see us keep the ball moving it side to side n trying to walk the ball in....it's boring...Crab football...

The idea that we could keep playing low possession fast counter attacking football died when Shakespeare failed doing just that. He'd be the man who knew the tactics and the right players for that tactic the best. If he can't do it, then I'm not sure who can.

There’s been no good time to sack the guy. Awards ceremony, last Saturday home match of the season, Arsène coming to town mid-week, then the last game of the season on Sunday. 

We (including you, Claude) are just gonna have to get through this week.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The_77 said:

There’s been no good time to sack the guy. Awards ceremony, last Saturday home match of the season, Arsène coming to town mid-week, then the last game of the season on Sunday. 

We (including you, Claude) are just gonna have to get through this week.

What's Wenger got anyrhing to do with the owners decision to sack CP?

• Haha 1