Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
the messenger

Puel

8 minutes ago, Babylon said:

A good performance at Spurs and he might just buy himself the time he wants. 

Our style of play didnt really change today to be honest, we just did everything more quickly which naturally opened up new spaces for us as we countered. if he can sign players that compliment this style of play I'd be happy to give him a shot to be honest.

we had a good start under him then a poor second half of the season with the mahrez crap and we just slowed down to walking pace. 

Big risk, if we give him a summer then we find in December we are as crap as we have been recently again, we risk missing out on managers available in summer, and whoever we get in joins a team of players they likely wont want. 

Edited by cityfanlee23

For me I still think he needs to go. I said it in another thread but Arsenal are a completely different type of opposition to what we usually face. We don't normally get that much time or space on the ball & you never get teams stupid enough to come here and play a high line. 

Its when teams sit behind the ball that we look clueless and unable to break them down & 70% of the premier league play that style away from home. 

• Like 2

Just now, cityfanlee23 said:

Our style of play didnt really change today to be honest, we just did everything more quickly which naturally opened up new spaces for us as we countered. if he can sign players that compliment this style of play I'd be happy to give him a shot to be honest.

we had a good start under him then a poor second half of the season with the mahrez crap and we just slowed down to walking pace. 

I agree, although it definitely helps that we were playing expansive football against another expansive team, rather than one that blocks low and sits defending.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, john ridley said:

Dail Mail match report states Top and his dad have reached a decision  before today's match.

That would make sense, given Puels demeanour throughout the game. Completely unanimated and broken   

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Babylon said:

A good performance at Spurs and he might just buy himself the time he wants. 

Agreed, seems to have learned and adjusted, if we play well against the Spurs I would give him more time.

On 8 May 2018 at 17:49, m4DD0gg said:

He is such an arrogant bellend.

He was brought in to get us into europe but now states midtable is fine and basically we should be grateful to have him.

Deluded.

This season? Having come in with us a point outside the relegation zone with a quarter of the season gone? Highly doubt that. Return to Europe yes, but it would have been a two/three year plan, not instant given we'd lost so much ground already before he came in.

As great as tonight was it does not do much for my opinion on whether Puel is the right man.

We were better tonight but it feels like we need an event in the game to ignite that spark that creates the desired intensity. Tonight it was a goal and sending off and we were on our way.

If we’d played that well against West Ham, who had a lot to fight for, it would have meant much more to me.

If we were playing an on-the-beach, 10-man Arsenal, who haven’t won away all year every week we’d be fine. However these sort of matches are not the issue.

Edited by Ricey
  • Like 3

The Intensity and fight seemed to be back through the team last night.

Where that style of performance has been the last 7 games is anyone’s guess.

The issue on performance still highlights, was this Puel making changes and getting a reaction,

or players ruling and doing what they think best, as Puel at times looked motionless and dejected like he knew this wasn’t his ideas/tactics that is fuelling this type of performance.

I seen an interview on TSN with Vardy after the game and he mentioned that the team didn’t see the point in passing it around at the back aimlessly and they wanted to get it forward as quickly as possible.

Does this elude to the fact the players dictated this from the start.

Any manager who comes in, if this happens in the summer questions will always be asked “ is the manager not good enough” “are the players not performing for him” as we see at times the players turn it back on when “they” want to.

30 minutes ago, steflcfc said:

I seen an interview on TSN with Vardy after the game and he mentioned that the team didn’t see the point in passing it around at the back aimlessly and they wanted to get it forward as quickly as possible.

Wow, that's pretty damning of Puel. It sounds to me that the players managed the game themselves.

3 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Wow, that's pretty damning of Puel. It sounds to me that the players managed the game themselves.

Agreed. I think that’s both the strength and weakness of our title winning players. You can argue it’s a bad thing and that the manager needs to nip it in the bud, or you can see it as a positive thing with our players taking responsibility to pay back the fans. 

Personally I think it’s a good thing. That mental strength and team awareness is one reason we over achieved so much in 15/16. 

Bad for Puel though. 

3 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Agreed. I think that’s both the strength and weakness of our title winning players. You can argue it’s a bad thing and that the manager needs to nip it in the bud, or you can see it as a positive thing with our players taking responsibility to pay back the fans. 

Personally I think it’s a good thing. That mental strength and team awareness is one reason we over achieved so much in 15/16. 

Bad for Puel though. 

The players get a lot of stick from the national media for having influence above their station.

Rightly or wrongly I think the players do it for what they believe is the team's best interest. If the players were moaning they were being trained too hard and asked to play with too much intensity then I'd back the manager but our players seem to complain they're not being worked hard enough which is too their credit.

At the start of the second half last night we didn't lump a diagonal ball towards the oppositions right back and straight out of play, for that alone I say give him the summer, Puel in!

1 hour ago, steflcfc said:

I caught the end of that interview aswell and pretty Vardy said something along the lines of... he wouldn't say Puels under pressure and that Puels always wanted them to pass it quickly and get forwards as much as possible. As I said though I missed the first part of the interview so unsure as to what questions were asked then! 

11 hours ago, Ricey said:

As great as tonight was it does not do much for my opinion on whether Puel is the right man.

We were better tonight but it feels like we need an event in the game to ignite that spark that creates the desired intensity. Tonight it was a goal and sending off and we were on our way.

If we’d played that well against West Ham, who had a lot to fight for, it would have meant much more to me.

If we were playing an on-the-beach, 10-man Arsenal, who haven’t won away all year every week we’d be fine. However these sort of matches are not the issue.

This

Before yesterday's game I was thinking he needs to go but after last night it's put me back on the fence. If we go to Spuds and we're awful, I'll be back to where I was but if we're half decent, regardless of the result, I'll be still on the fence. 

13 hours ago, lee7 said:

For me I still think he needs to go. I said it in another thread but Arsenal are a completely different type of opposition to what we usually face. We don't normally get that much time or space on the ball & you never get teams stupid enough to come here and play a high line. 

Its when teams sit behind the ball that we look clueless and unable to break them down & 70% of the premier league play that style away from home. 

Exactly this, said the same thing on here after last night.

Arsenal allowed us to play football because they gave us far too much space, going down to 10 men helped us even more but Arsenal defensively were wide open and very unorganised, you could see why they haven't won a league away game in 2018.

Come the likes of your Stoke's, Southampton's and West Ham's they sat in, defensively organised and we couldn't break through them. On the basis of that he still must go.

13 hours ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Ranieri has done almost the same thing with Nantes as he did with us, only instead of 12 months of decent football then turning to shit, he managed 6 months there. 

He's alienated loads of people at Nantes over the last 6 months, they've been almost as bad as we have.

I wonder whether Puel has bought himself a lifeline today, another performance like that and I think he stays. 

Did Nantes win the league?

2 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Bad for Puel though. 

By serving them the shower of shit of the last games? The last 2-3 they weren't even trying. Now Puel's time is up and they suddenly start playing. Screw that.

1 minute ago, ZeGuy said:

By serving them the shower of shit of the last games? The last 2-3 they weren't even trying. Now Puel's time is up and they suddenly start playing. Screw that.

Either the player's ignored the same old tactics or Puel changed them, but what we saw last night was different to what Puel has been trying to implement. 

Vardy eluded as much in his post match interview suggesting that he didn't see the point of just passing it around the back. 

We were much more direct and showed signs of what we used to do so well with quick breaks and forward passing into the channels. 

The player's should certainly take responsibility for their performances of late, but in my opinion Puel has stifled them and stubbornly forced a style on them, that many are simply incapable of.

If Puel was responsible for our switch in style yesterday, then he must take credit of course. I suspect differently though and his time maybe up and this was simply a demonstration of what our players are capable of when playing a style more suited to their own strengths. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1