Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
the messenger

Puel

6 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

It doesn't change anything for me. This just suggests that he is incapable of picking the correct team or getting them to play the way he wants, whether through poor selections, training or/and communication. 

The only excuse he can have for this, would be that he needs to get his own players in who are capable of this style but I'm unsure if he will do that this summer. 

I hope the owners come out straight after the Spurs game and announce if he is staying or not. I for one (a doubter!), will then get back on board with Puel and hope that he has a very successful transfer window, which he will definitely need to make this new style a consistent success. 

He is not leading... the performances are out if his hands. No authoity.

He is asleep at the wheel. 

They need to cut him lose and get a leader in

Edited by foxinsocks

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

We had about 4 players any decent team would have wanted, the others were cast offs and journey men coming to the end of their careers. Well those players have now mostly had it and are coming to an end and we've lost two of the players of the 4 that other clubs would have wanted and struggled to replace them.

We missed our chance to nail that 7th spot easily for a while when we failed to replace so many aging players, failed to improve on the obvious weak spots in the team and signed a load of shit the summer after winning the league. We've not been dragged back into the mire and performances and results have done nothing to prove otherwise for two years.

It was hardly a challenge to get 7th this season. We should have finished there and even pushed Arsenal with the team we have. Other than Everton, what squad is stronger than ours outside the top 6? We may not have Kante or an inform Drinkwater anymore, but we are still a step up from the rest and really shouldn't have gone on such a horrendous run. We can't keep listing excuses for Puel. The same happened at Southampton. When does he start being held accountable? 

He reminds me a bit of Van Gaal's time at Man U who was determined to force his style on the team, and unwilling to adapt if results didn't follow. A promise of attacking attractive football which turned out to be nothing more than slow and dull.. Sure he talks about fast and attractive passing but lets actually see it! (and not just against 10 men!) 

3 hours ago, Babylon said:

Especially when the one bloke he has picked out looks like an absolute steal compared to some of the players we've spent £10-£30m on.

I can't say I trust Puel to get the tactics and motivation of the squad bang on but I would trust his spending.

I think Puel is the kind of manager to spend big on quality players like the Porto right back Pereira we've been linked with or buy young rough diamonds like Diabate. 

I don't think he'd sanction buys like Slimani and Iborra who are players of a certain age who cost big fees and are not certain starters. I think he would spend big on the first XI and the squad would be made up off up and coming players he has bought like Diabate, academy graduates like Choudhury and players already here like James.

Just now, Gerard said:

I can't say I trust Puel to get the tactics and motivation of the squad bang on but I would trust his spending.

I think Puel is the kind of manager to spend big on quality players like the Porto right back Pereira we've been linked with or buy young rough diamonds like Diabate. 

I don't think he'd sanction buys like Slimani and Iborra who are players of a certain age who cost big fees and are not certain starters. I think he would spend big on the first XI and the squad would be made up off up and coming players he has bought like Diabate, academy graduates like Choudhury and players already here like James.

This. 

4 minutes ago, Bunyip said:

We won on Wednesday in spite of Puel, not because of him.

By that logic the loss against West Ham was not because of him then?

You can’t pick and choose. Let him have one transfer window and let’s see how we get on next season. 

• Like 2

After a decent display the other night and a bit of time to reflect on that awful WHU performance I've decided I'm still willing to back Puel. 

Unless we've got a serious, and I mean a proper fvcking serious manager already lined-up who is absolutely head and shoulders above Puel then I personally think it's far too much of a risk to change manager this summer.

I think Puel, the players and the board had a MASSIVE wake-up call when nobody stuck about for the lap of honour after West Ham. 

I genuinely think the manager, backroom and players have all had a huge kick up the cvnt and told to make it ****ing work, together, no excuses. 

Perhaps now Puel and the players will see that it takes a mix of both of their playing styles to create something that will work for all and this my way or the highway attitude will come to an end. 

Honestly - getting a new manager in who needs to completely overhaul the squad during a world cup window without having chance to assess them first? It's got relegation written all over it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shiv said:

By that logic the loss against West Ham was not because of him then?

You can’t pick and choose. Let him have one transfer window and let’s see how we get on next season. 

On Wednesday the players abandoned  Puels style of play completely and played too their own strengths and we saw what they are capable of once they are free of his dire negative tactics. We lost against West Ham and other struggling sides because they were forced to play his way and his ridiculous team selects put the icing on the cake. Let him have a transfer kitty and still be the manager at the start of the season and I'll put a couple of hundred quid on us going back to the championship.

2 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

If that's the case every time John carver, Steve Kean, Avram grant, Peter Taylor won a game they showed a master class in tactics :D

Not really Doc ...   you used the word 'nearly' ..  and that means absolutely jack sh1t ...    I nearly won the lottery ..  I nearly crapped in my pants once ...  but I didn't.    The fact Wenger attacked our weakness doesn't mean Puel is tactically inept ...   so the fact that Wenger NEARLY out manoeuvered him means sod all ...and at the end of the day ..  we won ...    :)

5 minutes ago, 4everfox said:

Claude Puel has managed 6 different clubs since 1999 and he hasn't won a trophy since 2000. What makes anybody think he will change that here? 

What makes anybody here think we're going to win a trophy? We've realistically got a shot at about two - League and FA.

Edited by UPinCarolina

2 minutes ago, Bunyip said:

On Wednesday the players abandoned  Puels style of play completely and played too their own strengths and we saw what they are capable of once they are free of his dire negative tactics. We lost against West Ham and other struggling sides because they were forced to play his way and his ridiculous team selects put the icing on the cake. Let him have a transfer kitty and still be the manager at the start of the season and I'll put a couple of hundred quid on us going back to the championship.

You're not a fan of Ranieri then

Just now, UPinCarolina said:

What makes anybody here think we're going to win a trophy? We've realistically got a shot at about two - League and FA.

Because that is literally the point of professional football? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Countryfox said:

Not really Doc ...   you used the word 'nearly' ..  and that means absolutely jack sh1t ...    I nearly won the lottery ..  I nearly crapped in my pants once ...  but I didn't.    The fact Wenger attacked our weakness doesn't mean Puel is tactically inept ...   so the fact that Wenger NEARLY out manoeuvered him means sod all ...and at the end of the day ..  we won ...    :)

On our present win form Puel " nearly " got us relegated.

Just now, Countryfox said:

When did you nearly win the lottery, you lying barstool?

You remember crystal palace, youve got a younger quicker defender on the Bench, so deciding to play the old geezer is tactical saute?

You've got to remember Southampton, he made great timely substitutions to get a valuable point against a superior side.  He oozez tactical and skill

7 minutes ago, 4everfox said:

Because that is literally the point of professional football? 

Obviously, yes, you *want* to win. It's the point.

But that fact informs my assertion - most clubs and managers don't win trophies, so to use  "last trophy won" as a metric for judging a manager of a / for a club outside of the top 4/5 clubs is a little silly, IMO.

• Like 3