Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
the messenger

Puel

Just now, UPinCarolina said:

Obviously, yes, you *want* to win. It's the point.

But that fact informs my assertion - most clubs and managers don't win trophies, so to use  "last trophy won" as a metric for judging a manager of a / for a club outside of the top 4/5 clubs is a little silly, IMO.

Nonsense. The very best managers win trophies wherever they go, even before they get given jobs at bigger clubs.

3 minutes ago, Walkers said:

He came in and let the players just carry on what they were doing the season before

.....exactly!!!!

He assessed the situation, and determined that was the way to go in order to maximize the players in the squad. Did not take him long to assess but has taken Puel more than half a season to realise he still does not not know his players and his best team!!!!!

55 minutes ago, 4everfox said:

Nonsense. The very best managers win trophies wherever they go, even before they get given jobs at bigger clubs.

Not in this day and age they don’t. 

And he didnt say best manager’s, he said the measure of a good manager.

The measure of the good manager is those that get the best out of what they have; the individuals and the collective to produce a ‘team’ better than the sum of their parts.

Eg, Claudio, Klopp imo at the moment.

Edited by NotTheMarketLeader

Just now, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Not in this day and age they don’t. 

And he didnt say best manager’s, he said the measure of a good manager.

The measure of the good manager is those that get the best out of what they have; the individuals and the collective to produce a ‘team’ better than the sum of their parts.

Eg, Claudio, Klopp imo at the moment.

Klopp has won the Bundesliga at least twice so he's more decorated than you think. I do get where you are coming from though but to not win a trophy in 18 years of management is poor in my opinion. I can't think of many managers who were great but didn't win anything, if any. 

2 minutes ago, richardsfoxes said:

I actually think they will give him time. 

This is what @sylofox was saying. He said Susan in the VIP box said he’d be given £50 million and the profit of any sold players to revamp the squad. In contrast though, @themightyfin said he’d heard the board were hoping to employ some long serving geezer from Bournemouth...

I guess we’ll find out within the next week!

25 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

This is what @sylofox was saying. He said Susan in the VIP box said he’d be given £50 million and the profit of any sold players to revamp the squad. In contrast though, @themightyfin said he’d heard the board were hoping to employ some long serving geezer from Bournemouth...

A lot of people have spoken about his demeanor but during interviews he seems very confident that he will get the chance to bring his own players in, I'm not sure i just want us going into the summer with a plan for once on who we need/want and who we don't need anymore, i guess your right we'll find out soon.

38 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

I just doubt a powerful employee would state such a thing to a random fan tbh..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wymeswold fox said:

I just doubt a powerful employee would state such a thing to a random fan tbh..

Lets be fair , she's hardly going to turn round and say he's going to be sacked so even if she did say it I wouldn't pay it much attention.

1 hour ago, Swan Lesta said:

I said that before anyone, my source must be right

3 hours ago, UPinCarolina said:

Obviously, yes, you *want* to win. It's the point.

But that fact informs my assertion - most clubs and managers don't win trophies, so to use  "last trophy won" as a metric for judging a manager of a / for a club outside of the top 4/5 clubs is a little silly, IMO.

Thats the blindness of many Fans,when trying to discredit, manager or Coach when in their opinion the man must go.Ditto also when trying to search for " experienced " players

1 hour ago, richardsfoxes said:

A lot of people have spoken about his demeanor but during interviews he seems very confident that he will get the chance to bring his own players in, I'm not sure i just want us going into the summer with a plan for once on who we need/want and who we don't need anymore, i guess your right we'll find out soon.

For the first time in ages we are actually linked with the positions we need which is good, Right backs, Attacking midfielders, defenders and keepers. Not sure if this is anything to with Puel demanding this or not though, but it's nice to see us actually looking in the right places. How long did Ranieri/Shakey simply ignore the fact we had nothing of quality in those positions? 

4 hours ago, Koke said:

Whether you want Puel out or not, he's spot on with this. It may be under someone else but this has to be done.

I figured you were too cynical to get excited over the platitude every fan wants to hear.

25 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

For the first time in ages we are actually linked with the positions we need which is good, Right backs, Attacking midfielders, defenders and keepers. Not sure if this is anything to with Puel demanding this or not though, but it's nice to see us actually looking in the right places. How long did Ranieri/Shakey simply ignore the fact we had nothing of quality in those positions? 

Yeah its good, its one of the main reasons i want Puel to stay. The new manager if we do indeed get one will want his own targets and want time to assess the players and its continued cycle, give Puel time. 

16 hours ago, Koke said:

Whether you want Puel out or not, he's spot on with this. It may be under someone else but this has to be done.

Yes, he's been consistently bloody awful as a manager.

I don't mind Puel staying as long as he has the full backing of the players. 

If most of the squad have lost respect for his methods, leadership and tactics then he has to go. If it's just a few players who don't want him there to save their own skins then that's okay but if key first team players want him gone then it's an easy decision to sack.

It would be a lot easier for me to have an opinion on Puel's future if I actually knew the full story behind the scenes. 

• Like 4

I’m not sold on Puel but will say that we do need consistency and I admire the fact that he’s binned off some expensive and older players to give younger players a chance. Sure Hamza has only been starting due to an extensive injury list but Puel sent King and Slimani out on loan to give Choudhury and Nacho more chances. Barnes is starting to come on in games and Diabate looks very promising indeed. 

But as the poster above states - he needs the backing of the players. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I’m not sold on Puel but will say that we do need consistency and I admire the fact that he’s binned off some expensive and older players to give younger players a chance. Sure Hamza has only been starting due to an extensive injury list but Puel sent King and Slimani out on loan to give Choudhury and Nacho more chances. Barnes is starting to come on in games and Diabate looks very promising indeed. 

What makes you say that?

He sent King and Slimani out on loan to give Choudhury and Iheanacho more chances? Where did you get that from? lol

Since late January, Iheanacho has started three times in 13 matches.

The only reason Puel is starting youngsters is because he's forced to fill the bench due to our injury crisis. Barnes would've hardly gotten a look in if Iborra, Ndidi and James were still fit or Albrighton not suspended. Same goes for Choudhury - King's been out on loan since January, Hamza didn't make an appearance up until April.

And Diabaté had already played eighteen times for Gazélec Ajaccio in Ligue 2, on a pretty decent pro level.

I acknowledge that Puel has had some influence on the progress of youth players back in his native of France, namely with Lille (Debuchy, Cabaye, Mirallas) and Lyon (Lacazette), but the length some people go to trying to defend his track record as if he's some kind of miracle worker is astonishing.

Working for clubs in Ligue 1 means you are forced to develop youngsters because they need to be sold on in order to make a profit off them, it's the French business model.

Edited by MC Prussian

6 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I read a lot of people criticising Puel for sending out Slimani and Ulloa on loan as robbing us of a Plan B. I think the opposite, he's got rid of players who don't have a future here and that paved the way for Iheanacho to be given more opportunities.

The same ones who say we shouldn't have let King go but after our recent CM crisis the fact that King wasn't here has given the opportunity for Choudhury to flourish and he's now probably promoted himself to the first team squad. I'd much rather talented young players like Choudhury be given an opportunity to bolster the squad than pay £12m for Iborra who probably isn't good enough to be a regular first team player for us and will hamper a good younger player's development by staying ahead of him in the pecking order. 

IMO our ideal squad should be a quality 15 players and the other 10 players should be the best development players or bought "rough diamonds" like Choudhury, Barnes, Diabate, etc and ex first team players on their way down like Simpson, Morgan, Okazaki, etc. 

I don't want us buying players like Iborra at 30 yo who cost £12m who aren't automatic first team players and are depreciating in value all the time. I don't think Iborra is a bad player at all but it's really bad business by us.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

For me this is the main issue. If he doesn't get their backing he won't succeed. And if they, again, don't give their backing we have bigger problems. He needs to improve in a number of areas but we'll go downhill fast if the team has authority over the manager.

Edited by Foxxed
  • Like 1