Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
the messenger

Puel

7 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

For me this is the main issue. If he doesn't get their backing he won't succeed. And if they, again, don't give their backing we have bigger problems. He needs to improve in a number of areas but we'll go downhill fast if the team has authority over any manager that might come.

You cannot have the players dictating whether they are going to cooperate with the manager or not. Personally I think we need a clear out of some of the old guard who have been too comfortable on the team sheet. Whether it's Puel or comebody else they have to be given a chance to develop the squad and if any of them feel they can't accept that they should be out. I can't imagine O'Neill or Jock Wallace putting up with any nonsense from the players.

Finally, if somebody had suggested we would finish 8th in the Prem at the beginning of the season I would have accepted that in spite of the poor run of form we have suffered.

Considering some of the poor play we have witnessed I think the coaches have something to answer for, not just Puel. Why is it Schmeichel, after all these years, cannot command his 6 yard box? Why are we so clueless in breaking down a packed defence? Why do we continue pumping the ball into the middle when there's only Vardy to aim for? This happens week in, week out so why, as professional footballers doesn't somebody do something about issues which are so patently obvious to Joe Public?

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

What makes you say that?

He sent King and Slimani out on loan to give Choudhury and Iheanacho more chances? Where did you get that from? lol

Since late January, Iheanacho has started three times in 13 matches.

The only reason Puel is starting youngsters is because he's forced to fill the bench due to our injury crisis. Barnes would've hardly gotten a look in if Iborra, Ndidi and James were still fit or Albrighton not suspended. Same goes for Choudhury - King's been out on loan since January, Hamza didn't make an appearance up until April.

And Diabaté had already played eighteen times for Gazélec Ajaccio in Ligue 2, on a pretty decent pro level.

I acknowledge that Puel has had some influence on the progress of youth players back in his native of France, namely with Lille (Debuchy, Cabaye, Mirallas) and Lyon (Lacazette), but the length some people go to, trying to defend his track record as if he's some kind of miracle worker is astonishing.

Working for clubs in Ligue 1 means you are forced to develop youngsters because they need to be sold on in order to make a profit off them, it's the French business model.

Tosh.Its the football business model,nothing singular to do with the French...

To be honest, I can't be arsed with the manager merry-go-round every season. Just keep him because unless we get someone like Benitez we're just going to be sacking the manager off in 12 months time again.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Tosh.Its the football business model,nothing singular to do with the French...

When's the last time we sold one of our youth academy players for £££ to a Ligue 1, La Liga or Bundesliga side or Premier League team for that matter?

Jeffrey Schlupp springs to mind, then whom else? Emile Heskey, 18 years ago?

Edited by MC Prussian

30 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

When's the last time we sold one of our youth academy players for £££ to a Ligue 1, La Liga or Bundesliga side or Premier League team for that matter?

Jeffrey Schlupp springs to mind, then whom else? Emile Heskey, 18 years ago?

Oh dear..because we havent done it for awhile, but accept other clubs do,

so not following a French business model...juste  la guerre du football..

1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

What makes you say that?

He sent King and Slimani out on loan to give Choudhury and Iheanacho more chances? Where did you get that from? lol

The only reason Puel is starting youngsters is because he's forced to fill the bench due to our injury crisis. Barnes would've hardly gotten a look in if Iborra, Ndidi and James were still fit or Albrighton not suspended. Same goes for Choudhury - King's been out on loan since January, Hamza didn't make an appearance up until April.

And Diabaté had already played eighteen times for Gazélec Ajaccio in Ligue 2, on a pretty decent pro level.

I acknowledge that Puel has had some influence on the progress of youth players back in his native of France, namely with Lille (Debuchy, Cabaye, Mirallas) and Lyon (Lacazette), but the length some people go to trying to defend his track record as if he's some kind of miracle worker is astonishing.

Working for clubs in Ligue 1 means you are forced to develop youngsters because they need to be sold on in order to make a profit off them, it's the French business model.

But Nacho has started some games and come on many times in others, and he may not have even got those games if Slimani was around. In sending out the experienced players on loan it helps breed confidence in young players and the development squad. Surely they must be looking at Hamza, Chilwell, Barnes and thinking “that could be me!” Puel is doing a good job at slowly introducing younger players into the squad and building both their confidence and ability. 

The guy is certainly no miracle worker and frankly if he’s sacked can have no complaints as this squad has underachieved given our position at the start of the year. But I’m just saying that his development of youth has been quite good. His one real failing here was dropping Dragovic who has been consistently good whenever he’s started. 

Puel’s biggest downfall is his lack of connection with fans and players who want a higher tempo game. It’s understandable because our title winning team might have had a lot less possession but was much more exciting to watch. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

What makes you say that?

I acknowledge that Puel has had some influence on the progress of youth players back in his native of France, namely with Lille (Debuchy, Cabaye, Mirallas) and Lyon (Lacazette), but the length some people go to trying to defend his track record as if he's some kind of miracle worker is astonishing.

Though our downturn in form did start when we lost that Football God, Andy King :)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

Nobody said Puel is a miracle worker, but he trust young players and doesn't hesitate to make them play instead of confimed ones if he thinks they are better.
For instance, 18 players of Lille academy made their debut under him and 26 from Nice academy.

Some of the young players (less than one season at professional level or less than 21yo) he worked with are :

- Rafael Marquez
- Willy Sagnol
- John Arne Riise

- Eric Abidal
- Mathieu Debuchy
- Dante
- Stefan Lichsteiner
- Lucas Digne
- Eden Hazard
- Adil Rami
- Miralem Pjanic
- Dejan Lovren
- Alexandre Lacazette

who all became stars or regular starters in the top clubs in the world

- Pablo Contreras
- Julien Rodriguez

- Sébastien Squillacci

- Gael Givet

- Phillippe Christanval
- Jaroslav Plasil
- Jean II Makoun
- Mathieu Bodmer
- Yohann Cabaye
- Benoit Cheyrou
- Kevin Mirallas
- Michel Bastos
- Kader Keita
- Ludovic Obraniak
- Clément Grenier
- Maxime Gonalons

who all became international players

I probably forget a lot of them and they are also dozens of others who "simply" became professional players at top level in their country.

IMO, that's REALLY impressive.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, yks said:

IMO, that's REALLY impressive.

But while he was doing this impressive work I presume the first teams were doing OK too.  However, he has to be judged by recent results - I think he hasn't got the right leadership qualities to run a bath.

33 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

But while he was doing this impressive work I presume the first teams were doing OK too.  However, he has to be judged by recent results - I think he hasn't got the right leadership qualities to run a bath.

Yes they were.
Monaco won the Ligue 1 and Nice and Lille regularly qualified for Europa League instead of being relegation candidates.
You could argue his period at Lyon wasn't so good but it's not entirely his fault, he came at the wrong moment at the end at their cycle, key players like Benzema or Juninho left and the replacements weren't so good.
He still finished 3rd, 2nd, 3rd and went to Champions League semi-finals.

Edited by yks

3 minutes ago, yks said:

Yes they were.
Monaco won the Ligue 1 and Nice and Lille regularly qualified for Europa League instead of being relegation candidates.
You could argue his period at Lyon wasn't so good but it's not entirely his fault, he came at the wrong moment at the end at their cycle, key players like Benzema or Juninho left and the replacements weren't so good.
He still finished 3rd, 2nd, 3rd and went to Champions League semi-finals.

You could easily argue that he has come here at the wrong end of our cycle.  I'd definitely take three top 3 finishes and a champions league semi though!

Keep.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foxinsocks said:

...  I think he hasn't got the right leadership qualities to run a bath.

And that, in a nutshell,  is my biggest worry about him ....  in all other areas he is undoubtedly very capable...  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

And that, in a nutshell,  is my biggest worry about him ....  in all other areas he is undoubtedly very capable...  

You should really read about him and his previous experiences...
He's the opposite of the man he appears to be during interviews or press conference once on the traing pitch or in the locker room.

He has some traits that might be described as flaws, like his stubborness, but not his lack of leadership.

6 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

To be honest, I can't be arsed with the manager merry-go-round every season. Just keep him because unless we get someone like Benitez we're just going to be sacking the manager off in 12 months time again.

this is spot on. 

really hope he keeps the job and does well, i want stability.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yks said:

He's the opposite of the man he appears to be during interviews or press conference once on the traing pitch or in the locker room.

He has some traits that might be described as flaws, like his stubborness, but not his lack of leadership.

But I wonder if he can get his message across ...   I’ve no doubt he would be more eeeefecteeeve and have more qualiteeee in France ... but he’s in the prem ...   very different ..

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, yks said:

R u related to him?

7 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

What makes you say that?

https://foxesofleicester.com/2018/01/25/leicester-city-claude-puel-wants-clear-way-kelechi-iheanacho/

9 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

R u related to him?

Nope, I'm just a french football fan who followed him for about 20 years and I'm sometimes baffled by what I read here.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

But I wonder if he can get his message across ...   I’ve no doubt he would be more eeeefecteeeve and have more qualiteeee in France ... but he’s in the prem ...   very different ..

Exact, very different, here random midfielders from relegation candidates and anonymous kids from Ligue 2 can become Player Of The Year. lol

Edited by yks
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, yks said:

Nope, I'm just a french football fan who followed him for about 20 years and I'm sometimes baffled by what I read here.

Your a fan of a French football?  Fook sake.....I'm sorry I'm putting you on ignore, that stuff is dog shit.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

Your a fan of a French football?  Fook sake.....I'm sorry I'm putting you on ignore, that stuff is dog shit.

Yes it is :unsure:
(but to be fair, english football that doesn't include clubs from the Top 6 is shit too :whistle:)

Edited by yks
  • Like 1