Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
the messenger

Puel

5 minutes ago, Merging Cultures said:

Oh dear! Why are you hear?!

I was just trolling Dr Singh actually, neither of them are shit and I think the major difference is the number of top clubs in each league.
That being said I think clubs like Monaco, Marseille or Lyon this year have nothing to be ashamed compared to underperforming Top 6 clubs.
These clubs excepted, I think the difference in quality between the two leagues is a lot thinner than most english fans say about it, simply because most of them don't know shit about football apart from Premier League or top European clubs.

6 minutes ago, yks said:

I was just trolling Dr Singh actually, neither of them are shit and I think the major difference is the number of top clubs in each league.
That being said I think clubs like Monaco, Marseille or Lyon this year have nothing to be ashamed compared to underperforming Top 6 clubs.
These clubs excepted, I think the difference in quality between the two leagues is a lot thinner than most english fans say about it, simply because most of them don't know shit about football apart from Premier League or top European clubs.

Hey mate, I'm only messing.  If you believe in such shit, so be it, we all are different and like different things.

1 minute ago, Dr The Singh said:

Hey mate, I'm only messing.  If you believe in such shit, so be it, we all are different and like different things.

No problem, I got that you were joking, that was more of an undirected response to the condescending tone french football is discussed by a lot of people.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yks said:

No problem, I got that you were joking, that was more of an undirected response to the condescending tone french football is discussed by a lot of people.

By the way Claude can you make sure Diabate plays, and leave at the end of the game?

1 minute ago, Dr The Singh said:

By the way Claude can you make sure Diabate plays, and leave at the end of the game?

I will ask Wes Morgan about Diabate but I cant' leave right after the game, I still have to talk about my severance pay with the board before leaving.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, gw_leics772 said:

That quote doesn't state specifically that he'd be giving Iheanacho more game time by shipping Slimani out.

The Fleetwood cup games were both in January, and anything could've happened in the days to follow - even Slimani staying and Iheanacho going out on loan.

23 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

That quote doesn't state specifically that he'd be giving Iheanacho more game time by shipping Slimani out.

The Fleetwood cup games were both in January, and anything could've happened in the days to follow - even Slimani staying and Iheanacho going out on loan.

Fair enough,but if you get a minute could you let me know how this is meant to be interpreted as I am obviously getting something wrong.

"In no uncertain terms, Puel’s intention is to clear out some of the glut in that forward position to give Iheanacho a greater chance because of all the promise he has shown. "

Also doesn't the fact that slimani and ulloah subsequently went out on loan giving iheanacho a greater chance of playing (mostly from the bench as expected) add some credence to the quote which was made in advance, not in hindsight?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gerard said:

I don't mind Puel staying as long as he has the full backing of the players. 

If most of the squad have lost respect for his methods, leadership and tactics then he has to go. If it's just a few players who don't want him there to save their own skins then that's okay but if key first team players want him gone then it's an easy decision to sack.

It would be a lot easier for me to have an opinion on Puel's future if I actually knew the full story behind the scenes. 

Totally agree with this.

That Arsenal game has just confused me further. I can't work out this club anymore lol 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, nnfox said:

You could easily argue that he has come here at the wrong end of our cycle.  I'd definitely take three top 3 finishes and a champions league semi though!

Keep.

Our league title win was an extraordinary affair and will remain such a feat for a long, long time to come. Our "cycle" ought to see us finish mid-table. This season, we had a great chance of finishing 7th and enjoying another European tour, yet let it slide big time.

Pedigree-wise and merchandise-wise, we'll never be able to compete with the Top Six in this division, unless along comes another freak season.

Our way to Europe can be achieved by finishing 7th or finally performing well in a cup competition again.

And what Puel achieved with Olympique Lyon needs to be put into context:

He just arrived there in 2008 after they had won their seventh consecutive (!) Ligue 1 title.

Given OL's financial resources and youth academy (the best in France), and looking at the competition at the time in Ligue 1 (AS Monaco were still a few years away from being taken over, same for PSG who finished 16th (!) in 2008, 2nd place went to Bordeaux, matches against heavyweights such as Nancy, Rennes, Valenciennes, Metz, Strasbourg, Lorient, Sochaux, Caen, Le Mans or Lens), there wasn't much he could do wrong.

That's a bit like taking over at a club like Manchester United after winning seven PL championships in a row.

On 11/05/2018 at 15:49, Babylon said:

We had about 4 players any decent team would have wanted, the others were cast offs and journey men coming to the end of their careers. Well those players have now mostly had it and are coming to an end and we've lost two of the players of the 4 that other clubs would have wanted and struggled to replace them.

We missed our chance to nail that 7th spot easily for a while when we failed to replace so many aging players, failed to improve on the obvious weak spots in the team and signed a load of shit the summer after winning the league. We've not been dragged back into the mire and performances and results have done nothing to prove otherwise for two years.

Strongly disagree, most teams from 7th downwards would have taken the majority of our players if they could as we were proven winners. We badly fcuked up in these last two seasons, building on it and as you say replacing wekanesses that were appearing. 

17 minutes ago, gw_leics772 said:

Fair enough,but if you get a minute could you let me know how this is meant to be interpreted as I am obviously getting something wrong.

"In no uncertain terms, Puel’s intention is to clear out some of the glut in that forward position to give Iheanacho a greater chance because of all the promise he has shown. "

Also doesn't the fact that slimani and ulloah subsequently went out on loan giving iheanacho a greater chance of playing (mostly from the bench as expected) add some credence to the quote which was made in advance, not in hindsight?

Well, see - you're quoting an "article" that quotes an "article" that quotes an "article" by the Mercury. And I'm not the biggest fan of that publication when it comes to content and quality (thereof). They serve a freaky mixture of videos, ads and soundbites, with little to no in-depth information delivered.

In no uncertain terms, Puel’s intention is to clear out some of the glut in that forward position to give Iheanacho a greater chance because of all the promise he has shown. 

This sentence was added in the second quotation of the original article - it doesn't exist in Tanner's piece. To me, that reeks of subjective interpretation by the American Chelsea soccer fan (bleurgh). This is how "content" is "created" these days. You're quoting from a fan site, not a newspaper. And you fell for it.

5 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Strongly disagree, most teams from 7th downwards would have taken the majority of our players if they could as we were proven winners. We badly fcuked up in these last two seasons, building on it and as you say replacing wekanesses that were appearing. 

I don't class teams 7th or down "decent teams".

18 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

When's the last time we sold one of our youth academy players for £££ to a Ligue 1, La Liga or Bundesliga side or Premier League team for that matter?

Jeffrey Schlupp springs to mind, then whom else? Emile Heskey, 18 years ago?

I think your point is more about how shite our academy has been. Than it is about a financial business model.

2 hours ago, sylofox said:

I think your point is more about how shite our academy has been. Than it is about a financial business model.

It's more a case of looking at how French clubs make most of their money (through their academies) as opposed to Premier League clubs (TV money).

4 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

It's more a case of looking at how French clubs make most of their money (through their academies) as opposed to Premier League clubs (TV money).

My point was we obviously don't sell players as our academy is not good enough. Since Heskey I can think of about six players that have come through our system. Not what I would call a great yield over 24yrs.

Instead of sacking managers we should perhaps be looking at our academy staff inc Rudkin and ask what the feck is going on.

1 minute ago, sylofox said:

My point was we obviously don't sell players as our academy is not good enough. Since Heskey I can think of about six players that have come through our system. Not what I would call a great yield over 24yrs.

Instead of sacking managers we should perhaps be looking at our academy staff inc Rudkin and ask what the feck is going on.

Both need to be looked at. And both need to cough up answers for some pretty pressing questions. Not excluding some of our first team players.

6 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Both need to be looked at. And both need to cough up answers for some pretty pressing questions. Not excluding some of our first team players.

I would like to think if our owners are backing Puel they will be talking to the players. As great as our owners have been I guess it's a problem having none football people.

They also seem to take advice from Rudders and I'm not sure he's the answer.

35 minutes ago, sylofox said:

What is going on? Our academy seems to work pretty well to me lately 2nd or 3rd best in the country at u23 with a good cup run too. Without a bit of a blip at the end they could have easily won it in a league where Man U were relegated. There may be problems at first team level but the academy Nah

8 minutes ago, mazarron fox said:

What is going on? Our academy seems to work pretty well to me lately 2nd or 3rd best in the country at u23 with a good cup run too. Without a bit of a blip at the end they could have easily won it in a league where Man U were relegated. There may be problems at first team level but the academy Nah

I'm not looking at this very moment I did say the performance since heskey.

We also know one season doesn't count for much. It's all about what happens after.

When our academy has had a number of yrs churning out players like sotton I'll be happy.

Even after the great season the academy can only really be judged if those players make the first team or get sold on for a good fee. Those trophies will not repay the outlay.