Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
the messenger

Puel

It will be an interesting time after today as one of two things will happen.

He will either be gone within 48 hours, and Dyche will come in, or they will stick with him for him to execute his plan.

His plan will include the removal of the old guard players who are causing a divide. The ones who won’t accept change because they won the league so they know better.

Which way this is going to go I have no idea, but either way it will be interesting. 

4 minutes ago, Rob1742 said:

He will either be gone within 48 hours, and Dyche will come in, or they will stick with him for him to execute his plan.

His plan will include the removal of the old guard players who are causing a divide. The ones who won’t accept change because they won the league so they know better.

Which way this is going to go I have no idea, but either way it will be interesting. 

Why Dyche, have I missed something?

55 minutes ago, mazarron fox said:

What is going on? Our academy seems to work pretty well to me lately 2nd or 3rd best in the country at u23 with a good cup run too. Without a bit of a blip at the end they could have easily won it in a league where Man U were relegated. There may be problems at first team level but the academy Nah

I think our u23s are older than the league average, with quite a few who have played games at non league and lower leagues. So it's no surprise we did well, especially when we don't loan anyone out to get proper experience. It's basically Puel and injuries that mean we are actually playing a few in the first team, without them then the academy would look a bit shit.

Edited by lgfualol

Why would Dyche come to Leicester.

Burnley are in Europe. Leicester are not in Europe.

Dyche job is safe at Burnley. Why would he come to Leicester? 

Do we want him? Can he sort out our old guard who are causing this divide, probably.  He would get rid and bring his own style into the squad. We would end up a mid-table team with the odd cup run

Not sure if that is what we want or need.

18 minutes ago, Rob1742 said:

lol

28 minutes ago, ramaiya2 said:

Why would Dyche come to Leicester.

Burnley are in Europe. Leicester are not in Europe.

Dyche job is safe at Burnley. Why would he come to Leicester? 

Do we want him? Can he sort out our old guard who are causing this divide, probably.  He would get rid and bring his own style into the squad. We would end up a mid-table team with the odd cup run

Not sure if that is what we want or need.

Dyche in Europe with Burnley, versus Dyche at Leicester, smoking a cigar on massive wages in comparison. He lives not far from Leicester, so would fit much better with his family situation. Then there is the challenge of a  bigger club. Leicester have bigger aspirations than Burnley so he will get a big budget that will see him at the next level in his management career. 

• Haha 1

Potential St Étienne buyer has contacted Arsène Wenger & Claude Puel

Jérôme de Bontin, the head of an American pension fund and a credible candidate for the purchase of Ligue 1 side St Étienne, has contacted both Arsène Wenger and Claude Puel to offer them major roles under the new regime, according to France Football journalist Nabil Djellit. 

Those offers are obviously dependent on whether or not de Bontin is able to close an agreement to buy the club or not.

30 minutes ago, davieG said:

Jérôme de Bontin, the head of an American pension fund and a credible candidate for the purchase of Ligue 1 side St Étienne, has contacted both Arsène Wenger and Claude Puel to offer them major roles under the new regime, according to France Football journalist Nabil Djellit. 

Those offers are obviously dependent on whether or not de Bontin is able to close an agreement to buy the club or not.

According to french press, the buy is imminent but latest news are that Willy Sagnol would be in charge.

• Thanks 1

On 11/05/2018 at 16:44, Babylon said:

Well I'm going to stop reading right there, because this has now happened under THREE different managers, one of whom actually won the league for the club, the other was liked and wanted by the players if we read reports.

This isn't just a one off, it's happening over and over again. Look at the difference in application and effort form the players after the whole country absolutely roasted them when Ranieri got sacked. Fantastic performance with unquestionable application from all of them against Liverpool. The atmosphere turns sour against West Ham and the fans turn their backs on them, suddenly we get another similar performance. With a quite an obvious social media presence afterwards from many of the players "that's for the fans". Clearly something had been said internally to get the response.

Ultimately it's down to the manager to get the best from people. But even someone like Pearson had to change players to get the best out of his teams effort wise, always wanting hungry players with something to prove. For me, that's the biggest issue we've had since the won the league. The hunger isn't there like it was, they've proved themselves and it's all too easy and cosy.

It's not all down to the players, but you can't just ignore it like you are when it's happening time after time. It's been two years since we've seen any consistent form and application.

For the record I'm not sold on Puel, not sure anyone could be. But we can't keep going around in the "sack the manager" circle, without perhaps looking a little deeper.

It's a shame you stopped reading there because I addressed some of this later on. I know it was a bit long, mind.

What's happened three times in 15 months is that our form, with an ageing squad which hasn't always been expertly handled, has slumped. The board have changed managers, or thought about it, when others wouldn't. Nearly every slump in form at every club is confused for a lack of effort by fans but it happens to every mid-table side and we can't go around assuming that there must be a mutiny every time it does. Maybe the board can take more care over which bosses they appoint, or stop firing them, that's up for debate.

If you insist on believing the newspaper stories of behind-the-scenes unrest (and if we're honest, there's unrest at any given club at any given moment in time) then they focus on a different group of players to the ones accused of downing tools for Ranieri. I don't think anyone downed tools for Shakespeare, contrary to your suggestion. And those stories from the Ranieri era were largely discredited. So where does that leave us? One group of players possible questioned Ranieri and, just over a year later, a different set of players at the same club questioned the methods of another manager. It's hardly the unignorable 'time after time' implosion you suggest it is.

I know a little patience with managers important, but it shouldn't come at the expense of our support for the players. Especially not the ones who won the league for us.

Low confidence leads to dispirited performances and it's easy to confuse this with a team not being bothered. I agree that the form over the second half of the season hasn't been up to scratch, but to me it seems more likely that it's down to (a) players being asked to perform a function they're struggling to function (b) a manager struggling to communicate how best to rectify this and (c) a loss of confidence, partly caused by a and b, partly caused by the Riyad Mahrez situation.

If you wanted to add a (d), I'd consider Morgan's comments about oppositions 'sussing' the style we've played under Puel (they're noticeably sitting deeper, cutting out the spaces we need to pass into and recognising that we're not all that comfortable on the ball).

All of this is more probable than the squad getting together and deciding it's going to screw over whoever's in charge for the third time in a year or so.

It's a shame to see you believing this sort of tripe just a couple of months after a very good post of yours in which you declared your love for this team - the league-winning set of players - and said how sad it would be to see them fall apart. It's odd that a collapse in form would cause you to question this sentiment more than it causes you to question the club's latest manager, who managed to do pretty much exactly what he's doing now at his last club too. Maybe I'm misreading you there and this isn't your take on things, but it's certainly the case with some people.

However, Puel hasn't been getting a response out of them for quite some time and one result alone isn't necessarily proof that this has changed. Instead of needing to focus on nefarioius, shadowy forces at play, I think you can pinpoint where he's gone wrong (just as you could pinpoint where Ranieri went wrong) and, as we embark on a new long-term squad building project, we have to be careful whose image it is that we shape the team in.

That said, needless to say I would love him to stuff Spurs, build a fine team and prove us all wrong next season. And it's true that team-building will be a hell of a lot easier if Puel turns out not to be rubbish. We'll see.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr The Singh said:

My source says he is here for the long-term, the owners are willing to give him the cash

That's interesting. I wonder how long into the new season he'll get if we're not performing very well

59 minutes ago, davieG said:

This would be the best outcome for everyone imo. :fc:

I think if the owners believe in the 'project' they'll give him plenty of time to get it right. Look at the way they stuck by Pearson when he had a couple of sticky spells. 

The reason he was bought in was to change things up and I think they'll see it through. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

That said, needless to say I would love him to stuff Spurs, build a fine team and prove us all wrong next season. And it's true that team-building will be a hell of a lot easier if Puel turns out not to be rubbish. We'll see.

I remain keen to see us let him go - he is not the leader we need.  However, this is the owners call.. and they don't ask my advice.  If they do gamble on keeping him then I too hope he can prevail as you say.  I want to us stuff spurs and resume arguing about puel tomorrow.

56 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-boss-claude-puel-1562139

Leicester City boss Claude Puel sounded out by St. Etienne - reports

We would get paid for him to leave... sounds good to me

I doubt that he has enough time to learn a new language now he's so fluent in English.....

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Babylon said:

I don't class teams 7th or down "decent teams".

Haha but in reference to us ought to being the best of the rest I think a lot of that title winning team would have walked in to other teams in this league.