Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Costock_Fox

Exercise

21 minutes ago, Milo said:

It has its moments!

I needed something like this, tbh. Gyms don’t really do it for me, and I get a bored just running. 

The BMF sessions are all outdoors and pretty varied - this week was circuit and shuttle runs on Tuesday and cardio and boxing on Thursday. 

Its cold, dark, wet, muddy and fab 

To be honest I will still have my gym membership so that would mean me paying more.

I just need to have something to work towards to keep me motivated.

• 4 weeks later...

@Buce  Bucey ...   you said you were getting in shape again for one of your hikes ...   just wondered what sort of things you were doing and any major lifestyle changes you were making ..   including basic dietary changes.    I’m thinking of getting a bit fitter this year and as we’re about the same age thought it might be helpful.  Best to do these things, I find, when you’re ‘in the mood’ as much harder to do when your not (usually after you’ve put a few pounds on). 

24 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

@Buce  Bucey ...   you said you were getting in shape again for one of your hikes ...   just wondered what sort of things you were doing and any major lifestyle changes you were making ..   including basic dietary changes.    I’m thinking of getting a bit fitter this year and as we’re about the same age thought it might be helpful.  Best to do these things, I find, when you’re ‘in the mood’ as much harder to do when your not (usually after you’ve put a few pounds on). 

It would be helpful to know what you're trying to achieve, CF. Are you looking at weight loss alone or do you have a goal in mind?

Getting fit enough for a long-distance hike doesn't really involve too much of a lifestyle change for me, tbh. I hike about sixty miles a week, which is enough to keep me at about 80% of the fitness level required, and ordinarily, I would be looking to get 'trail fit' in the first couple of weeks hiking. I am going to have to treat the Bibbulmun differently, though. The first section is probably the toughest terrain I shall encounter and is also the longest section without resupply options (211kms) which means carrying 11 days food plus daily water. Even with a low base weight (pack and everything in it bar food and water), it's going to be pretty close to the limits of my comfort zone, so I need to hit the trail at as close to peak fitness as I can manage. With that in mind, I've changed my weight training routine to work more on my shoulders and back and increased the frequency of my full-pack training hikes from fortnightly to weekly. I shall step that up to a daily routine in the month before I go.

I’m going to give that a bit of thought Bucey ...   and tell you exactly what I am trying to achieve as, at the moment, it’s slightly woolly.

I wanted to to get your 10p’s worth as I know you will have looked into anything you undertake thoroughly and with an attention to detail ...     tbh your regime will probably be quite specific, nevertheless, there may be something in there for me.

Thanks so far ...   :thumbup:

10 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

I’m going to give that a bit of thought Bucey ...   and tell you exactly what I am trying to achieve as, at the moment, it’s slightly woolly.

I wanted to to get your 10p’s worth as I know you will have looked into anything you undertake thoroughly and with an attention to detail ...     tbh your regime will probably be quite specific, nevertheless, there may be something in there for me.

Thanks so far ...   :thumbup:

No worries, CF - I'm happy to help any way I can.

I’m back in the routine and have done some form of exercise in 12/14 days ( only two days off to watch us play like morons).

Still haven’t decided on what Challenge I can set myself but I’m going away at the end of Feb so getting into better shape is the focus at the minute.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I’m back in the routine and have done some form of exercise in 12/14 days ( only two days off to watch us play like morons).

Still haven’t decided on what Challenge I can set myself but I’m going away at the end of Feb so getting into better shape is the focus at the minute.

How much time do you have available for your challenge, Costock?

10 minutes ago, Buce said:

How much time do you have available for your challenge, Costock?

I could make however I wanted I guess but probably a maximum of a week. Would have loved to climb Kilimanjaro or another long mountain hike but I’m not going to be able to afford that.

16 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I could make however I wanted I guess but probably a maximum of a week. Would have loved to climb Kilimanjaro or another long mountain hike but I’m not going to be able to afford that.

I'm not sure whether it would be enough of a challenge for you, but the Cami de Cavalls in Menorca could be done fairly comfortably in a week. It's a footpath hike that circumnavigates the island and passes remote beaches and coastline that wouldn't be out of place in the Caribbean. If you were to do it out of season, accommodation wouldn't be too expensive, and if you're prepared to stealth camp it would be cheap anytime.

26 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Or how about the West Highland Way?                                             

1 minute ago, Buce said:

I'm not sure whether it would be enough of a challenge for you, but the Cami de Cavalls in Menorca could be done fairly comfortably in a week. It's a footpath hike that circumnavigates the island and passes remote beaches and coastline that wouldn't be out of place in the Caribbean. If you were to do it out of season, accommodation wouldn't be too expensive, and if you're prepared to stealth camp it would be cheap anytime.

Thanks for the idea, I would probably be up for something like that to be honest but to keep me pushing myself I would also need something challenging as well.

Stealth camp wise, is it not a bit scary incase a some crazy bugger stumbles across you?

Just now, Costock_Fox said:

Stealth camp wise, is it not a bit scary incase a some crazy bugger stumbles across you?

Hollywood has a lot to answer for. lol

I've always looked at it like this: if you were looking for someone to rob/hurt, where would you look? Out in the wilds or in a built-up area? I guarantee you are more in danger going out in Leicester for a few beers than you are stealth camping in remote areas.

Just now, Costock_Fox said:

Also looks great, would be decent even if I didn’t try to do it quickly.

It's a tough hike to do in a week that's for sure.

Scenery wise, it's up there with the best and you can finish it up with an ascent of Ben Nevis.

2 minutes ago, Buce said:

Hollywood has a lot to answer for. lol

I've always looked at it like this: if you were looking for someone to rob/hurt, where would you look? Out in the wilds or in a built-up area? I guarantee you are more in danger going out in Leicester for a few beers than you are stealth camping in remote areas.

That’s true but when I have probably watched every horror movie going and probably have paranoia issues from a mispent smokey youth I would still be convinced that I might die lol 

Any runners on here?  We could start up a FoxesTalk Strava running club

i do around 25-30km a week an average plod

i love running - it becomes quite a addictive…. I never ever regret going for a run!  Did 10km yesterday from Bushby, across to Houghton, then Stoughton and back…. Glorious isolation and only came across 2 dog walkers and a farmer ?‍?  

Just now, Buce said:

It's a tough hike to do in a week that's for sure.

Scenery wise, it's up there with the best and you can finish it up with an ascent of Ben Nevis.

Ah cool, definitely wasn’t a prime contender for an air ambulance rescue last time I attempted Nevis lol 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Wolfox said:

Any runners on here?  We could start up a FoxesTalk Strava running club

i do around 25-30km a week an average plod

i love running - it becomes quite a addictive…. I never ever regret going for a run!  Did 10km yesterday from Bushby, across to Houghton, then Stoughton and back…. Glorious isolation and only came across 2 dog walkers and a farmer ?‍?  

I go in stages, was doing 4/5k a day for a few weeks but now I’m back on the weights I have toned it down a bit.

3 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

That’s true but when I have probably watched every horror movie going and probably have paranoia issues from a mispent smokey youth I would still be convinced that I might die lol 

Mate, we're all gonna die.

If you worry too much about dying, you end up forgetting to live.

Really want to sign up to something. Like a 12 week fitness programme or something where I can launch myself in and build towards a goal.

I feel when I have free will to go to the gym or "choose" my exercise, I can't ever really get into a routine and end up being lazy/inconsistent 

2 minutes ago, TK95 said:

Really want to sign up to something. Like a 12 week fitness programme or something where I can launch myself in and build towards a goal.

I feel when I have free will to go to the gym or "choose" my exercise, I can't ever really get into a routine and end up being lazy/inconsistent 

I felt like that too, so I hired a Personal Trainer.

He worked with me on my goals and he holds me to account of them. When I have a session with him, he chooses the routine and is all over me like a rash. He pushes me so much harder than I could ever push myself.

When I'm on my own between sessions I'm now less lazy and a lot more focused. I learn so much from my PT that I now put into practice when he's not there.

I only have an hour a week with him on a Monday morning but it sets me up for the rest of the week. The best £100 a month I spend if I'm honest..

• Like 2