Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Costock_Fox

Exercise

2 hours ago, lgfualol said:

The problem with the gym is actually getting motivated enough to go there. I try to go twice a week but when I get home from work I just can't be arsed.

This.

If I wanted to exercise, I'd just use the local park etc to run.

More preferred as you have to go through more traffic after work etc just to go somewhere to get fit.

5 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

How have we not got a fitness of gym related thread on here already?

I have been religiously going to the gym for the past year and have seen decent changes and I am now at my lowest weight in about 10 years after losing about 3 stone over a longer period.

I am now looking to reduce my levels of fat and tone my body by building muscle. Any PTs on here able to give me advice? The internet is a confusing place when it comes to max protein consumption etc so would appreciate any advice.

I work as a strength and conditioning coach, it's a bit different to a PT as our goals are usually fully performance related. From a motivation point of view we run set sessions for our university teams/athletes so unless their really unmotivated they have to be there. Even working in the gym environment theres days where I have to drag myself in too train.

Anyway the biggest thing as previously mentioned is having a set plan. Starting off with core lifts (squat, bench, deadlift, military press) is the best way to go, usually best to do it in blocks, so start at 4 sets of 8 reps for the first month, then reduce the volume to 4 sets of 6 reps while increasing the weight for a few more months, eventually working 5 sets of 5 reps which is going to work more maximal strength building more solid muscle but it's high intensity. You can then put in assistance exercises, like single leg work alongside maybe an upper body related exercise (pull ups, dumbell shoulder or bench press, rows etc). Combining this with high intensity circuits, or cardio work, so working flat out for 20 seconds and then using active recovery for 40 seconds is a good way to tone up. As others have mentioned some classes are great but there not my thing and I much prefer to do a high intensity circuit using simple exercises, squats, push ups, step ups, rows, lunges. Sometimes keeping it simple is the best way.

From a nutrition standpoint everyone is different and without knowing your diet it can be tough. Biggest thing for me is eating a well balanced diet, there's no quick fix and I distance myself from supplements (the only one really worth it's money IMO is whey protein isolate powders). On the days you train I'd keep your carb intake fairly similar to what you eat now to begin with and take on a high protein sources ASAP following a gym session. On the days off reduce your carbs and keep your focus on the protein sources, this isn't to say to completely cut carbs out just reduce your intake. Ideally you want to be consuming 500kcal less a day, but that can be difficult to achieve so treat it as a rough goal. It can be tough too reduce your carbs, if you ever crave stuff like chocolate or treats, it's usually best to take on something that has a high source of fat, nuts, peanut butter, cream cheese usually help for me. Don't be ridiculously strict as well, best to be flexible, if you try and eat the perfect diet you'll probably get to the end of the first week and crumble, but hey I'm writing this while tucking into a slice of cheesecake! 

All the best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wymeswold fox said:

This.

If I wanted to exercise, I'd just use the local park etc to run.

More preferred as you have to go through more traffic after work etc just to go somewhere to get fit.

It just gets too damn cold to do anything outside here during the winter. I started running in spring of 2016, and I wanted to keep it going on the treadmill during the winter, so i got a membership at a cheap 24 hour gym around here.

But the last week or so I've had some shin splints :( so i've just been using the bike. 

I use to be quite a gym goer in my younger days. However, work and family commitments mean I have less time. 

I have worked out that I have three days (1hr per day) a week to really get a sweat on. 

Does anyone have any suggests as to what I could do to get a weight loss and full body work out in three hours a week? It would probably be Fri, sat and Sun. So no rest day but than 4 days off after. 

1 hour ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

I work as a strength and conditioning coach, it's a bit different to a PT as our goals are usually fully performance related. From a motivation point of view we run set sessions for our university teams/athletes so unless their really unmotivated they have to be there. Even working in the gym environment theres days where I have to drag myself in too train.

Anyway the biggest thing as previously mentioned is having a set plan. Starting off with core lifts (squat, bench, deadlift, military press) is the best way to go, usually best to do it in blocks, so start at 4 sets of 8 reps for the first month, then reduce the volume to 4 sets of 6 reps while increasing the weight for a few more months, eventually working 5 sets of 5 reps which is going to work more maximal strength building more solid muscle but it's high intensity. You can then put in assistance exercises, like single leg work alongside maybe an upper body related exercise (pull ups, dumbell shoulder or bench press, rows etc). Combining this with high intensity circuits, or cardio work, so working flat out for 20 seconds and then using active recovery for 40 seconds is a good way to tone up. As others have mentioned some classes are great but there not my thing and I much prefer to do a high intensity circuit using simple exercises, squats, push ups, step ups, rows, lunges. Sometimes keeping it simple is the best way.

From a nutrition standpoint everyone is different and without knowing your diet it can be tough. Biggest thing for me is eating a well balanced diet, there's no quick fix and I distance myself from supplements (the only one really worth it's money IMO is whey protein isolate powders). On the days you train I'd keep your carb intake fairly similar to what you eat now to begin with and take on a high protein sources ASAP following a gym session. On the days off reduce your carbs and keep your focus on the protein sources, this isn't to say to completely cut carbs out just reduce your intake. Ideally you want to be consuming 500kcal less a day, but that can be difficult to achieve so treat it as a rough goal. It can be tough too reduce your carbs, if you ever crave stuff like chocolate or treats, it's usually best to take on something that has a high source of fat, nuts, peanut butter, cream cheese usually help for me. Don't be ridiculously strict as well, best to be flexible, if you try and eat the perfect diet you'll probably get to the end of the first week and crumble, but hey I'm writing this while tucking into a slice of cheesecake! 

All the best.

Top stuff mate appreciate that.

I tend to do a fair bit of what you suggest just need to be more focused on an actual plan rather than just going a bit adhoc when I get there.

As for my diet, I don't think I need to change a massive amount as at the minute it goes something along the lines of scrambled egg for breakfast and a pack of beef jerky, a couple of bits of fruit at about 11am, maybe another at 12, then a pack of chicken breast with no sauce, a few hours later I have a protein shake. Then after working out I immediately have another protein shake then get home and normally have my dinner which is typically meat and veg.

Ive gone down from 12 stone 5 and about 20% fat I think down to about 16% fat and 10 stone 8 (I'm 5 foot 8).

1 hour ago, Unabomber said:

Currently doing 5/3/1 for strength with accessory lifts in there too. It's a seriously good routine and fun which keeps you at it. There's an app which programs your routine for you and tracks your records etc. 

One of the best programmes I have followed, think I could have worked out my max strength scores a bit more accurately to estimate my loads and I would have got more benefit but I enjoyed it and saw some good improvements.

26 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Top stuff mate appreciate that.

I tend to do a fair bit of what you suggest just need to be more focused on an actual plan rather than just going a bit adhoc when I get there.

As for my diet, I don't think I need to change a massive amount as at the minute it goes something along the lines of scrambled egg for breakfast and a pack of beef jerky, a couple of bits of fruit at about 11am, maybe another at 12, then a pack of chicken breast with no sauce, a few hours later I have a protein shake. Then after working out I immediately have another protein shake then get home and normally have my dinner which is typically meat and veg.

Ive gone down from 12 stone 5 and about 20% fat I think down to about 16% fat and 10 stone 8 (I'm 5 foot 8).

Sounds like your on the right track mate, and definitely doing the right thing with seeking a consisten programme. Diet sounds good, I'm not too far off that, I'll have a homemade fruit smoothie, and scrambled egg or omlette  for breakfast, chilli nuts and a peanut butter and jam bagel as snacks, lunch is usually a wrap or pasta for lunch and then dinner is meat, rice and veg. Carbs are a bit on the high side but I think I get away with it with my lifestyle. 

I think its an interesting topic though, and the reason I love the gym and training is because you can get so many different adaptations and just changing something as simple as the length of your rest period can change the outcome of your training. 

3 minutes ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

One of the best programmes I have followed, think I could have worked out my max strength scores a bit more accurately to estimate my loads and I would have got more benefit but I enjoyed it and saw some good improvements.

Sounds like your on the right track mate, and definitely doing the right thing with seeking a consisten programme. Diet sounds good, I'm not too far off that, I'll have a homemade fruit smoothie, and scrambled egg or omlette  for breakfast, chilli nuts and a peanut butter and jam bagel as snacks, lunch is usually a wrap or pasta for lunch and then dinner is meat, rice and veg. Carbs are a bit on the high side but I think I get away with it with my lifestyle. 

I think its an interesting topic though, and the reason I love the gym and training is because you can get so many different adaptations and just changing something as simple as the length of your rest period can change the outcome of your training. 

That last sentence is the sort of detail I'm after. Like I say I've properly gone for it since the turn of the year but think I can probably be more efficient by learning a few tricks.

1 hour ago, Unabomber said:

Currently doing 5/3/1 for strength with accessory lifts in there too. It's a seriously good routine and fun which keeps you at it. There's an app which programs your routine for you and tracks your records etc. 

Nice will check that out in a bit.

9 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

That last sentence is the sort of detail I'm after. Like I say I've properly gone for it since the turn of the year but think I can probably be more efficient by learning a few tricks.

I mean there's so much you can go into it's probably good to try a programme like the 5/3/1 as mentioned above as you have built that base of strength and it provides a good guide. High reps and sets brings= high volume which usually brings about more size with some increased strength, less sets and reps but with high weight= high intensity so you build more efficient muscle fibers increasing strength and compact muscle. Shorter rest periods tend to stress the muscle more and bring about fatigue which breaks the muscle down, whereas longer rest periods allow you to recover better physically and neurally (I think is the correct term) so you can provide a better maximal effort which is ideal for max strength and power training. There's so much out there I guess playing around with it is one of the best ways to get to grips with it. 

Edit: these are quite generalised comments and don't always ring true.

Edited by LcFc_Smiv

Ive recently started going to the gym over the past few weeks. Currently going before work which is ideal for me, but considering going after work to see how it is.

Only doing around 50 mins to an hour each visit, but my cardio workout is similar to CostockFox, where i start off with interval training on a treadmill, then 2000m on the rowing machine, my current PB is 9m:08s, then 10 mins on the crosstrainer.

After that i usually have time for 4-5 other exercises working on specific parts of the body.

I'm aiming for an achievable 2lb per week (would love 3.5lbs per week), which should result in losing 3st in around 5 months.

Toughest thing is waking up in the mornings and get to the gym (and work), once im there I'm fine. 

3 minutes ago, Dipak83 said:

Ive recently started going to the gym over the past few weeks. Currently going before work which is ideal for me, but considering going after work to see how it is.

Only doing around 50 mins to an hour each visit, but my cardio workout is similar to CostockFox, where i start off with interval training on a treadmill, then 2000m on the rowing machine, my current PB is 9m:08s, then 10 mins on the crosstrainer.

After that i usually have time for 4-5 other exercises working on specific parts of the body.

I'm aiming for an achievable 2lb per week (would love 3.5lbs per week), which should result in losing 3st in around 5 months.

Toughest thing is waking up in the mornings and get to the gym (and work), once im there I'm fine. 

That rowing machine router is brutal, i can't get below 9 mins.

Did 30 mins on the power mill machine yesterday, grim.

• 2 weeks later...
On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 19:05, Unabomber said:

Thought I'd revive this thread

I was just reading through the comments and seen yours Unabomber. Just wanted to ask about the 5/3/1 routine your doing. Is this where you do an exercise on a weight that would be tough and do 3 sets in those reps?

I'm doing a few full body exercises at the minute during the week (3 days a week) before work and then a more solid workout programme over the weekend.

1 hour ago, Dipak83 said:

Thought I'd revive this thread

I was just reading through the comments and seen yours Unabomber. Just wanted to ask about the 5/3/1 routine your doing. Is this where you do an exercise on a weight that would be tough and do 3 sets in those reps?

I'm doing a few full body exercises at the minute during the week (3 days a week) before work and then a more solid workout programme over the weekend.

No mate 5/3/1 is a routine that consists of cycles of 3 weeks. The first week you are focusing on 5 reps, there are 4 workouts per week. Then the second it's heavier and you are working on reps of 3, third week heavier and reps of 1. Then after each workout you can do extra exercises focuses on smaller muscles like arms etc. 

After a cycle of 3 weeks it calculates the next cycle with slightly heavier weights. It's a strength routine and very fun, the best way is to download the 5/3/1 Wendler log app as it calculates all your workouts to your individual strength.