Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Costock_Fox

Exercise

Left work deciding I was going gym tonight, get home can't be arzed. Open FT and what are the top 2 threads....... Burgers and Gym.

I feel like that guy from The Matrix, blue or red? PS whichever colour you say I will say that was for Burger.

3 hours ago, Unabomber said:

No mate 5/3/1 is a routine that consists of cycles of 3 weeks. The first week you are focusing on 5 reps, there are 4 workouts per week. Then the second it's heavier and you are working on reps of 3, third week heavier and reps of 1. Then after each workout you can do extra exercises focuses on smaller muscles like arms etc. 

After a cycle of 3 weeks it calculates the next cycle with slightly heavier weights. It's a strength routine and very fun, the best way is to download the 5/3/1 Wendler log app as it calculates all your workouts to your individual strength.

Ahhh ok. That does sound interesting,  i might give it go Saturday morning. 

12 hours ago, Charl91 said:

Well my bench is doing good. Managed a set of 7 reps on 100kg. Maybe I should work some of those other muscles.

Still avoiding cardio like the plague though.

Try this - it's so easy to just focus on chest and arms - I now do a version of this where I do bench press flat, incline, decline (3 sets of each 4-8 reps) and the exercises on this program which are chest and arm orientated - twice a week and the leg and deadlift and core stuff once or twice a week - I do cardio jogs with burpese 5 sets of 10 on my way round a 3 mile jog 2-3 times per week. I do heavy bag workouts after core and leg days to relieve soreness of lifting:

http://www.mensfitness.com/training/build-muscle/the-bench-press-workout-routine

Results have been really good so far.

I was doing great been every day since about December but for one reason or another I've missed the last week and a half, struggling to get the motivation now, need to go today!

I always find once i'm in a routine i'm great, fine, no problem! If I miss it even once that's it, out the window! So annoying!

1 hour ago, Swan Lesta said:

Try this - it's so easy to just focus on chest and arms - I now do a version of this where I do bench press flat, incline, decline (3 sets of each 4-8 reps) and the exercises on this program which are chest and arm orientated - twice a week and the leg and deadlift and core stuff once or twice a week - I do cardio jogs with burpese 5 sets of 10 on my way round a 3 mile jog 2-3 times per week. I do heavy bag workouts after core and leg days to relieve soreness of lifting:

http://www.mensfitness.com/training/build-muscle/the-bench-press-workout-routine

Results have been really good so far.

Might give it a go, haven't really changed my routine up in ages - could do with doing things a little differently.

Only problems for me are squats and deadlifts. I can't do squats at all (my right knee is pretty buggered) - I seem to be able to do lunges alright, and the plate load leg-press isn't too bad if I keep the weights reasonably low, but my knee seems to crunch quite badly every time I do squats. Deadlifts I always struggle to do, 'cus whenever I try it my form is absolutely terrible (I can't get my back at the right angle). May just have to persevere with that one though.

Either way, makes training legs difficult. Normally just have to do the exercises on a lower weight and go for lots of reps, but it's not quite the same :(

Edited by Charl91

Yeah I don't go to the gym anymore - I live in the sticks and have a barn with an Olympic industrial bench press in there some 14-20kg bells and 100kg of plate weight, a curl bar and a proper heavy bag.... Miles of canal and countryside for jogs and that's it - solitary but a great environment.

I can't straighten my arms today ? 

Three times a week, in the diary with a personal trainer. Do it purely to ensure old age doesn't hit me, and feel much better for it.

Not bothered with getting muscles or running a marathon, purely just to keep to a level so I don't go oooh and argggh when I get off the sofa. It ensures my back is much stronger than it used to be and I feel much better for it.

Always pay up front so I am committed to the sessions. 

49 minutes ago, Rob1742 said:

Three times a week, in the diary with a personal trainer. Do it purely to ensure old age doesn't hit me, and feel much better for it.

Not bothered with getting muscles or running a marathon, purely just to keep to a level so I don't go oooh and argggh when I get off the sofa. It ensures my back is much stronger than it used to be and I feel much better for it.

Always pay up front so I am committed to the sessions. 

At a gym or in a park sessions? Are they very expensive and what sort of stuff does the PT do with you?

39 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

At a gym or in a park sessions? Are they very expensive and what sort of stuff does the PT do with you?

This is 'loadsa money' rob, of course they aren't expensive. He probably tips a grand per session though.

• Like 1

Guest seanfox778

If you're dieting is it pointless doing weights at the same time? I've heard mixed things like you will lose a lot of the muscle you put on because you're getting less calories. Is it a safe bet to do a mix of weights and cardio or just stick to cardio? 

1 hour ago, seanfox778 said:

If you're dieting is it pointless doing weights at the same time? I've heard mixed things like you will lose a lot of the muscle you put on because you're getting less calories. Is it a safe bet to do a mix of weights and cardio or just stick to cardio? 

I'm no expert but I would imagine that's not entirely true. It won't be entirely pointless but if you are trying to put muscle on doing too much cardio can mean your body breaks down the muscle.

Ive heard that heavy weights on low reps is the best for burning fat as it continues to burn calories after exercise.

Guest seanfox778
1 hour ago, Costock_Fox said:

I'm no expert but I would imagine that's not entirely true. It won't be entirely pointless but if you are trying to put muscle on doing too much cardio can mean your body breaks down the muscle.

Ive heard that heavy weights on low reps is the best for burning fat as it continues to burn calories after exercise.

Ok cheers mate, I'll give that a whirl.