Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

(Favourite) guitar riffs

4 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

Several of them have prominent bass parts or bass intros (I have a base character), but most or all have strong lead guitar riffs, too.

Anyway, a bass is a bass guitar. The OP didn't ask for favourite "lead guitar riffs"..... Ha! Out-pedanted you! Glad you liked them, though. :D

Out-pedanted @shen.... you deserve a medal!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Out-pedanted @shen.... you deserve a medal!

My ex cited my argumentativeness as one of the grounds for our divorce. Nobody on here will believe that, of course.

She even accused me of arguing like a lawyer - though she stopped saying that once we were dealing with real-life lawyers. :D 

• Haha 1

Seeing mike mcready solo behind his head was something to behold, this aint it but its great.

Bruce Cockburn riff (3m 45) is beautiful

Always loved the riffs on Animal Nitrate, purchased the 7" the other day what a great single.

Powerful:-

Always thought Bradfield was an underrated guitarist:-

heavy as....

Try not jumping around like an idiot when you hear this one:-

Still sounds great:-

Go to 3m 25 where Prince completely steals the show....purple rain would be another shout, I was lucky enough to see him perform that one.

• Like 1

These music threads are such a bitch to get the page to load.  I am digging this one though, not least the way it is outing some of our ages.  The guitar riffs embedded the deepest in your mental jukebox, got there in your teens or twenties.

Surprised AC/DC haven’t had more mentions.  All-time kings of the riff for me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KingsX said:

These music threads are such a bitch to get the page to load.  I am digging this one though, not least the way it is outing some of our ages.  The guitar riffs embedded the deepest in your mental jukebox, got there in your teens or twenties.

How about this one then?

• Like 1

The song that got me into Tool as a teen (bass riff):

Many riff masters out there, and just to throw another name into the hat:

And finally, as this is Foxestalk, I just thought of this excellent track back from the MixTape days.

Believe it was Fez who recommended this? Kudos!

• Like 1

On 06/04/2018 at 10:52, shen said:

The song that got me into Tool as a teen (bass riff):

Many riff masters out there, and just to throw another name into the hat:

And finally, as this is Foxestalk, I just thought of this excellent track back from the MixTape days.

Believe it was Fez who recommended this? Kudos!

Actually think this is better....

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/04/2018 at 12:55, Line-X said:

I've noticed some of these aren't strictly riffs but passages and refrains - so I'll include both. I like the way that this thread is titled "favourite" guitar riffs as opposed to "best" - Musos can tiresomely debate the technicalities, but ultimately something like a guitar riff has subjective value and currency on occasions evoking the zeitgeist and defining the spirit of the age. That said, I did on another forum start a "worst guitar solos of all time" thread - which I may resurrect here. Often though, the most simplistic (ie Satisfaction) can become the most enduring. Not going to to embed You Tube - too many and it bogs the thread down. I'll try and keep it to twenty, no thirty. Also, way too easy to descend into abject cheesiness and obligatory predictability - "Smoke on the Water" need not apply.

Tired to keep it to reasonably well known, my own personal favourites are quite esoteric and that would be self indulgent. In no particular order then...

1/ 'Paperback Writer.' (The Beatles) Their first foray into overdrive proper. McCartney credits himself as playing the riff but from the rehearsal and early takes I have it's definitely Harrison. The other remarkable thing about this is the bass, marking the first recorded use of McCartney's Rickenbacker. It was a conscious effort to drive up the bass sound on Beatles recordings at the time, which Revolver is testament to and also showcases how melodic McCartney always had been as a bass player. This is a double A side with "Rain"- another great riff which and as a track, the template for practically every Oasis song ever written.

2/ 'Voodoo Chile' (Slight Return) Arguably his greatest riff off arguably his greatest album

Two of my favourites too. :D

• Like 2