Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Spudulike

Stadium Expansion - at last !

- Leicester City Vice Chairman confirms intention to expand King Power Stadium
- Club aims to increase capacity, improve facilities and invest in surrounding site
- Owners vow to prioritise the enhancement of the matchday atmosphere
- Announcement made to mark Chairman Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha’s birthday

City’s Vice Chairman reveals the Club’s intentions in his regular column in Saturday’s edition of CITY Matchday Magazine, as part of the weekend’s celebrations to mark Chairman Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha’s birthday.

The Club not only hopes to increase the stadium’s capacity beyond its existing 32,243 seats, Khun Top says the development could include improvements to the wider stadium site, offering better access and facilities for supporters and the surrounding community.

“We are now in a position to begin a more thorough consultation on the development of King Power Stadium,” Top writes.

“The plan is to increase capacity and upgrade facilities for the stadium itself, and invest in the surrounding site to create an exciting events destination for the city of Leicester.

“We are only in the very early stages, but it’s exciting news I wanted to share with our supporters, in honour of my father’s birthday.”

Home to the Foxes since the Club moved from nearby Filbert Street in 2002, King Power Stadium has been the stage for some of the greatest moments in Leicester City history – including the Foxes’ miraculous Premier League title triumph in 2016 and the run to the UEFA Champions League Quarter-Finals a year later.

The venue has also hosted England internationals, 2015 Rugby World Cup matches and its first music concert in 2016, as Leicester band Kasabian made an unforgettable contribution to the greatest title celebrations the Premier League has ever seen.

Such occasions were defined by the unforgettable atmosphere generated by the Leicester City faithful and Khun Top has assured the Blue Army that the matchday experience will be central to the Club’s development plans.

“The magical, formidable King Power Stadium atmosphere has been a powerful feature of the Club’s success in recent times,” he continues. “We must ensure that any future proposals serve to enhance that experience, not dilute it. It will be a major priority in our planning.”

Stakeholder engagement on the King Power Stadium development will commence shortly, with further details to be revealed in due course.

In January, Leicester City announced plans to develop a world-class, state-of-the-art training facility in Charnwood, North Leicestershire – a key component in the Club’s long-term vision to establish itself as a competitive force in the Premier League.

Supporters will have an opportunity to understand more about the initial plans for the new training facility at a special public consultation ahead of Saturday’s Premier League visit of Newcastle United. For further information, click HERE.

• Like 1

Has been on the cards for years.

At least it rules out a new stadium site..

He should try and get out of the city after the game.., and see how bad it can get - and liaise with the council in how to improve it.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

Guest MattP

Part of me thinks this could be a mistake - already some games aren't selling out now.

Certainly can't knock the ambition though. 

4 minutes ago, MattP said:

Part of me thinks this could be a mistake - already some games aren't selling out now.

@mods? 

4 minutes ago, MattP said:

Aren't they? From what I have seen any last minute tickets which are available tend to be individual ones or restricted view. 

Guest MattP
2 minutes ago, rachhere said:

Aren't they? From what I have seen any last minute tickets which are available tend to be individual ones or restricted view. 

Really? 

I've seen tons of spare seats over the last few months, especially in the West Stand.

Full for Chelsea of course.