Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Spudulike

Stadium Expansion - at last !

3 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

But there's also demand for a more raucous area where you can just go a bit crazy and enjoy yourself if that's what you're into, however that isn't being catered for by the club. The club wouldn't sweep the wishes of the corporate lot, the family stand, the DSA etc under the rug as easily as they do the wishes of the 'atmosphere brigade', and I don't see why people have such as issue with these people voicing their concerns and trying for change. Just calling these people 'elitist' is a load of fvkcing bollocks. 

The ground is pretty massive in relative terms, surely we can split it up to an extent where everyone can enjoy themselves how they want to? 

I agree with you on this. That's what the kop was at Filbert Street, it had no cheap concession rates at all, but it was the cheapest area, so attracted a certain type of supporter who also happened to be the noisiest, but excluded the older supporters and families/kids.

The problem is the club brought in concessions in the kop when we moved to Filbert Way and it instantly killed the atmosphere. 

There is no going back now, times have changed and it will offend the easily offended. Unfortunately the atmosphere sponges are in all area and they won't budge now.

Edited by Vestan Pance
Error

1 hour ago, Vestan Pance said:

I agree with you on this. That's what the kop was at Filbert Street, it had no cheap concession rates at all, but it was the cheapest area, so attracted a certain type of supporter who also happened to be the noisiest, but excluded the older supporters and families/kids.

The problem is the club brought in concessions in the kop when we moved to Filbert Way and it instantly killed the atmosphere. 

There is no going back now, times have changed and it will offend the easily offended. Unfortunately the atmosphere sponges are in all area and they won't budge now.

Fans were encourage to to the equivalent location in the new ground to their old location so as the was no upper tier in the new South Stand all the old South Stand upper-deckers went in the new 'Kop' only it was called the Kop either just the South Stand so instantly you had a mix of standers and sitters

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Designated singing areas, ergo unofficial standing areas like Cardiff do.

Rejigging the ground and getting all the standers/singers in one place like Derby did.

Campaigning for (or at least talking to the fans in some capacity) safestanding like a bunch of teams have.

Cheaper tickets younger people, ours are the second highest in the league for 17 year olds iirc. 

Have we done any of the above? No. We've got some folded up cardboard and when you question it people call you "elitist" lol 

You have a singing area for your group at the back of SK1 so what is your problem with that?

You also stand in that area and are allowed to do so by the stewards.

Safestanding is an argument for another day but at present it isn't happening.

Folded up cardboard, one of your lot has to bang a tambourine for you to sing, added to that I'm in the next block along and we hardly hear a peep out of SK1, so your argument for singing, standing areas to create atmospheres doesn't really stack up, you've been given an area, you've grouped together, crack on with it and shut up moaning, by constantly whining on you're losing more support than you're trying to gain.

Tin hat ready for all the UFS lot to reply in anger. :clap:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Don't want to speak out of turn when you're responding to someone else, but...

He's not saying "swap the Kop" though, is he? He's asking for "an area". Other clubs have done it with bigger areas than L1 set aside, and the demand is clearly there for an area bigger than L1 to accommodate fans who like to have a sing-song.

Many of the Hillsborough families have recently changed their minds on safe standing, and it's incredibly frustrating that our club lags behind when others have backed their fans by publicly supporting the campaign for change in legislation. As an aside- it's now official Labour policy too, so they obviously don't think it's a vote loser in Liverpool.

No one's going to "forget about families" just because the club do something for another section of the fanbase are they? It's currently a struggle for young working class men - and families! - to afford to go to the football. A lowering of matchday ticket prices would be extremely beneficial to more than one demographic, and would be just a single gesture which would be about as close to the opposite of "elitism" as you could get.

And the club's not stopping people congregating except in one stand, besides that they enable you to relocate and group together.

Labour aren't going to lose in Liverpool no matter what they do, of the four constituencies in Liverpool the one they've got the lowest majority was Liverpool Wavertree with a 67.5% majority. They could genuinely stand Jeremy Corbyn's cat in any of those constituencies and still win comfortably. They're such safe seats that labour can put out policies unpopular in Liverpool and still have a net win from it.

But that's not what he said. Lower ticket prices across the board is one thing, and one I'm sure most people would agree with - although again ours are on the low end compared to the rest of the division, it's not a club specific issue - lower ticket prices specifically for one group smacks of elitism, the obvious take away is that that group should be prioritised.

4 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Why not? If the club were serious about improving the atmosphere, these are points they could consider. But they're not, so they won't. 

Never been designated a standing or singing area officially, they just control who gets STs in there. "nExT"

Agree to an extent, but I'm not talking about swapping them, I don't think anyone has ever suggested that seriously in about 10 years. 

You mean the Hillsborough families that have debated SS at length, and some of whom have come out publicly in support? https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/differing-views-hillsborough-families-survivors-13355415

I think we should call it a day pal. If you think I'm elitist for wanting a 17 year old not to pay up to £34 for a ticket, then there's really no point in carrying on. By the way, this doesn't affect me I probably pay the same prices as you do. 

So it's not officially labelled it but they enable it to be a singing area by allowing people to gather in that block for the purpose of singing and turn a blind eye to standing in there? Not seeing what the problem actually is.

Some. Some support. The noisy of the lot (and by extent the ones with the biggest sway) are the likes of Margret whatserface and are still virulently anti standing in any form.

No, I think you're elitist for focusing just on the band around 17 year olds rather than ticket prices as a whole - focusing on how those ticket prices need to be lower implies they're better fans than the young parents bringing their 4 year old kid to his first game.

Edited by The Doctor

17 hours ago, The Doctor said:

And the club's not stopping people congregating except in one stand, besides that they enable you to relocate and group together.

Labour aren't going to lose in Liverpool no matter what they do, of the four constituencies in Liverpool the one they've got the lowest majority was Liverpool Wavertree with a 67.5% majority. They could genuinely stand Jeremy Corbyn's cat in any of those constituencies and still win comfortably. They're such safe seats that labour can put out policies unpopular in Liverpool and still have a net win from it.

But that's not what he said. Lower ticket prices across the board is one thing, and one I'm sure most people would agree with - although again ours are on the low end compared to the rest of the division, it's not a club specific issue - lower ticket prices specifically for one group smacks of elitism, the obvious take away is that that group should be prioritised.

You're right, the club's not stopping people congregating. But, as I'm sure you're well aware, it's not exactly easy to get big groups with the same mindset to congregate together for various reasons which have already been discussed. I'm not sure why you're so offended by the idea of the club offering a little bit more help in this regard, or why you think it's an unrealistic suggestion for what could constitute a "long-term commitment to atmosphere" given other clubs seem to have managed it with minimal uproar from those who've been moved as a result?

I've read back through Sol's posts and the only thing he was suggesting was cheaper tickets for younger people. Younger people are likely to be among the lowest earners around, and if they're unfortunate enough to find themselves in the adult pricing bracket then matchday tickets can be prohibitively expensive (and, as Sol mentioned, if you're 17 you're really out of luck).

If it's elitist to want to make football more affordable for all - especially young people who are low earners - then get my valet to pass me my finest topper and call me Rees-Mogg.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

You're right, the club's not stopping people congregating. But, as I'm sure you're well aware, it's not exactly easy to get big groups with the same mindset to congregate together for various reasons which have already been discussed. I'm not sure why you're so offended by the idea of the club offering a little bit more help in this regard, or why you think it's an unrealistic suggestion for what could constitute a "long-term commitment to atmosphere" given other clubs seem to have managed it with minimal uproar from those who've been moved as a result?

I've read back through Sol's posts and the only thing he was suggesting was cheaper tickets for younger people. Younger people are likely to be among the lowest earners around, and if they're unfortunate enough to find themselves in the adult pricing bracket then matchday tickets can be prohibitively expensive (and, as Sol mentioned, if you're 17 you're really out of luck).

If it's elitist to want to make football more affordable for all - especially young people who are low earners - then get my valet to pass me my finest topper and call me Rees-Mogg.

I'm not offended by the suggestion at all, but frankly whining that they don't do that, when they do and your issue is just that you'd like it to be bigger or located elsewhere, is not likely to impress anyone.

Except I've not said that and quite clearly stated the opposite. Cheaper football for all is not elitist. Saying tickets need to be cheaper for one group, which is what Sol said, on the matter of atmosphere implies that the club should prioritise that group for an atmosphere, as if they're the best fans - which is elitist.

1 hour ago, The Doctor said:

I'm not offended by the suggestion at all, but frankly whining that they don't do that, when they do and your issue is just that you'd like it to be bigger or located elsewhere, is not likely to impress anyone.

Except I've not said that and quite clearly stated the opposite. Cheaper football for all is not elitist. Saying tickets need to be cheaper for one group, which is what Sol said, on the matter of atmosphere implies that the club should prioritise that group for an atmosphere, as if they're the best fans - which is elitist.

The club don't actively encourage fans who want to sing to congregate together, do they? That's what's being suggested, and what other clubs have done.

You're off your head if you think someone suggesting cheaper tickets for younger people makes an  "elitist" implication they're the "best fans" - those are the conclusions you've repeatedly and wrongly inferred yourself.

The "younger fans" demographic is fairly broad, which in all probability includes a reasonable proportion of people up for a sing-song. Therefore a possible by-product of lower ticket prices for that demographic, regardless of how they choose to enjoy the match, would be a better atmosphere. That's all that's being suggested.

7 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

https://www.bbc.com/ideas/videos/how-to-create-the-perfect-atmosphere-in-a-stadium/p06bg8xf

A lot of crap gets thrown around about "acoustics" of the ground but this is actually really interesting! 

That actually was very interesting. One of the companies interviewed - KSS - are the ones doing our training ground if memory serves. 

I'm not sure I agree with the guy who mentioned having one stand larger than the other to focus the sound in a specific area. That's all well and good against opposition that are weaker or evenly matched, where you're going to have spells playing in that area of the pitch, however it would surely be a disadvantage when playing against a high pressing team that pen you into your own half. 

Also the chap talking about the Amex, whilst the science might suggest it helps improve the atmosphere the reality is certainly somewhat different. From personal experience of visiting the stadium I can't say it's any better or worse than any other modern stadium that I've been to. 

The problem with directing all the sound onto the pitch particularly the middle the fans don't hear it and it tends not to travel to other supporters and limits the chance of it building up to include the whole ground it also makes for different sections, L1/Kop sing different songs at the same time.

1 hour ago, davieG said:

The problem with directing all the sound onto the pitch particularly the middle the fans don't hear it and it tends not to travel to other supporters and limits the chance of it building up to include the whole ground it also makes for different sections, L1/Kop sing different songs at the same time.

We'll never get the whole ground singing the same song at the same time, it isn't possible. 

2 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

We'll never get the whole ground singing the same song at the same time, it isn't possible. 

It's happened before but no matter bigger sections would be a start.