Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Who do you want Summer 2018

34 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Wanyama apparently available as Spurs try to raise some funds. I've liked him since his time at Southampton, we've been missing a big bastard in CM for years, I'd be pleased if we showed interest. 

Too similar to Ndidi I think. Good player though 

I like the Torres or Balotelli shouts. Both players that have quality. I would lean more towards the Balotelli shout as he is still under the age of 30 and has behaved himself more. He is better in the air than many of the strikers we have had and looked at and has a bigger variety of goals in his locker, not to mention that he is an excellent penalty taker.

41 minutes ago, TheHitman™ said:

I like the Torres or Balotelli shouts. Both players that have quality. I would lean more towards the Balotelli shout as he is still under the age of 30 and has behaved himself more. He is better in the air than many of the strikers we have had and looked at and has a bigger variety of goals in his locker, not to mention that he is an excellent penalty taker.

Not sure they'd get in ahead of Vardy still and I doubt they'd be happy as backup

4 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Wanyama apparently available as Spurs try to raise some funds. I've liked him since his time at Southampton, we've been missing a big bastard in CM for years, I'd be pleased if we showed interest. 

He is class.

Proper unit.

On 21.4.2018 at 14:05, Wolfboy said:

If koln get relegated (they are last in the table) Horn has a €6 million release clause... bargain for a keeper of that standard... one of the best goalkeepers in Germany in my opinion opinion apart from Neuer?

Relegated today, wonder if anyone will now activate that clause and how fast - regardless of the fact that Horn has pleaded his allegiance to Köln for next season.

:ph34r:

Btw, I personally believe it's (much) more than six million Euro.

Edited by MC Prussian

9 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

Relegated today, wonder if anyone will now activate that clause and how fast - regardless of the fact that Horn has pleaded his allegiance to Köln for next season.

:ph34r:

Btw, I personally believe it's (much) more than six million Euro.

What happened to Köln? They were pushing for Europe last season.  Sorensen/Heintz have potential. Also Hector but he’s probably out of our reach? They’ve proven they were good players the past 2 years so idk what’s happened. 

2 hours ago, foxes21 said:

What happened to Köln? They were pushing for Europe last season.  Sorensen/Heintz have potential. Also Hector but he’s probably out of our reach? They’ve proven they were good players the past 2 years so idk what’s happened. 

There are a few reasons: The main gripe of the supporters is/was that the management was unable to prepare accordingly following qualification for the Europa League as a consequence of their 5th place finish last season.

But on the whole, it reads like a bizarre drama - and what a drama it was:

DoF Jörg Schmadtke, a former goalkeeper for Düsseldorf and SC Freiburg, received most of the criticism, as Köln failed to replace last year's top scorer Anthony Modeste, and couldn't bring other suitable re-inforcements over the summer in order to cope with the demands of playing in two, three competitions in the same campaign. This left manager Stöger (now at Dortmund) very unhappy. Pre-season is then indicative of what would follow: The team is barely able to score goals. Left-back Jonas Hector, one of their best players and part of the German national team. then gets injured in the Europa League match at Arsenal and is out for the rest of the year. Shortly after, winger Marcel Risse needs a knee operation. The yearly general meeting turns into a generally heated argument, with the club's president coming under heavy scrutiny. Then a defeat against Red Star Belgrade in Köln's first European home game in 25 years. Shortly after, a former goalkeeper icon dies - followed by Latvian striker Artjoms Rudnevs ending his career at age 29 following domestic problems (wife's miscarriage, violence at home).

Rudnevs's replacement is 38-year old Claudio Pizarro (Werder Bremen, Bayern), who becomes the sole hope up front because Jhon Cordoba injures his upper thigh in the return fixture against Arsenal. Coupled with refereeing decisions (particularly VAR cases) going against Köln, the turn of the year sees fans openly turn against Schmadtke for the very first time. The injury woes continue, as Pizarro has issues with his upper thigh in the warm-up phase before the match against his former club Bremen. In comes Guirassy who misses a sitter, the match ends goalless. At this stage, Köln have yet to win a Bundesliga game.

This is the end for Schmadtke, who is sacked shortly after, receiving quite the payoff, which infuriates fans even further. Now lost for leadership, manager Stöger is isolated and cannot motivate his players to turn things around. Apart from a win against Hertha in the DFB-Pokal, the club continues to lose games left, right and center. Stöger is close to being sacked, but the club management stalls the discussions due to the lack of other options. Then one of the biggest and most beloved club icons, Hans Schäfer, former club captain and national team member, a hero of the 1954 World Cup, dies at age 90.

Risse's injury is worse than expected, and near the end of the year, two other team mates follow him to the sick bay. As the season of carneval approaches, Stöger and the team decide not to celebrate, but some then do regardless, which doesn't help team morale. Köln lose away at Mainz because of a penalty that wasn't (VAR decision), then lose four more players due to injury, including Cordoba again. The 1-0 home win against Arsenal remains the sole highlight just before Stöger got the axe himself.

What follows is a managerial posse par excellence, as Schmadtke's successor is supposed to be decided and Horst Heldt, then at Hannover, claims to have settled for an agreement and a switch to his former club Köln. Hannover 96 aren't very pleased and the deal is halted.

During a press conference, Stöger then criticizes the club management for its failings in recent years and for losing its values (Stöger had been at the club for four years, longer than most of the managers before him). The 2-2 draw against Schalke is Stöger's last game in charge - he receives a grand farewell from the fans.

With a new DoF (Armin Veh) appointed a few weeks later and with a new and less experienced manager on the sidelines, Köln exit the Europa League with a defeat at Belgrade, a game marred by crowd troubles in the Köln sector, with fans throwing pyros onto the pitch and in the direction of home fans.

Köln win their first Bundesliga match this season on matchday 17 (!), but have to bid farewell in the cup after a defeat against Schalke.

Relegation was sealed yesterday with a 3-2 loss at Freiburg, in a game where Köln came back from 2-0 down, needing a win to keep the hopes of staying in the Bundesliga alive.

Unfortunately, Freiburg scored the third just before the end, which means Köln are relegated for the sixth time in the club's history since 1998. Köln managed to win some more games this year, but five in total just weren't enough. Damage was done in four highly tumultuous months prior, and the club just couldn't recover.

All in all, Köln are a club with a great fanbase, but with high expectations year in, year out. Chasing after past glories for the past 40 years or so, Köln are troubled with incompetence at managerial level on a constant basis, plus unfortunate injury woes. Six years ago, after relegation was sealed for the last time, there were scenes of violence between fans and the police. This time, the relationship between the supporters and the players is one of mutual respect, the main problem for many fans is the club management and its dubious and amateurish decisions.

A season as a 1.FC Köln supporter is pure drama. Every single season.

Edited by MC Prussian
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

There are a few reasons: The main gripe of the supporters is/was that the management was unable to prepare accordingly following qualification for the Europa League as a consequence of their 5th place finish last season.

But on the whole, it reads like a bizarre drama - and what a drama it was:

DoF Jörg Schmadtke, a former goalkeeper for Düsseldorf and SC Freiburg, received most of the criticism, as Köln failed to replace last year's top

Maybe we can interest them in a swap deal, we get Horn, they get our director of Football ....:whistle: