Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Claude Puel hints at contract extension for Wes Morgan

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

people have been called fickle so saying people like Wes and Simpson shouldn't play anymore, just because the tide of opinion has finally turned doesn't mean the people that said so earlier were fickle

I don't think for one second the tide of opinion has changed. Just fickle fans frequent FT more often. What these guys did was the unthinkable. Completely unthinkable, never be matched in football history full stop

16 minutes ago, esoog said:

I don't think for one second the tide of opinion has changed. Just fickle fans frequent FT more often. What these guys did was the unthinkable. Completely unthinkable, never be matched in football history full stop

and no one has said it isn't this is the part people such as yourself seem to struggle to grasp, you can agree with all of that whilst still saying their shouldn't be in the team

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jimmy said:

people have been called fickle so saying people like Wes and Simpson shouldn't play anymore, just because the tide of opinion has finally turned doesn't mean the people that said so earlier were fickle

That answered the question.... ?

20 hours ago, Jimmy said:

how is it fickle to say someone is no longer good enough, its an honest opinion, being grateful for a dream season is one thing but that doesn't mean you have to keep playing when you have better options

Good enough for what though exactly? He's been fine for most of the season, in a team staying up comfortably in the premier league. Do we need to start looking past him for a long term replacement, of course we do. But players rarely go from being fine to completely useless in an instant, it's a steady decline. But they can still be useful as bit part players for a lot longer, which is what Wes will likely be for several years to come. 

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Good enough for what though exactly? He's been fine for most of the season, in a team staying up comfortably in the premier league. Do we need to start looking past him for a long term replacement, of course we do. But players rarely go from being fine to completely useless in an instant, it's a steady decline. But they can still be useful as bit part players for a lot longer, which is what Wes will likely be for several years to come. 

I'm making a general point, you can be grateful for what someone has achieved with you in the past and still think they are no longer first team material for you

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy said:

I'm making a general point, you can be grateful for what someone has achieved with you in the past and still think they are no longer first team material for you

I just don't know how he's not first team material this season though. He's started like all but 5 league games, we're 8th, he's really made no more mistakes than anyone else at the back.

I can't believe anyone would disagree it's time to start thinking past him and this at his age we need a long term replacement to come in now. But suddenly not good enough to play in the first team at all, no I'm just not having that.

It's not like Dragovic played for half a season and takes credit for where we are, I fear people are overplaying his impact when his start record is 1W, 2D, 2L in the league.

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

I just don't know how he's not first team material this season though. He's started like all but 5 league games, we're 8th, he's really made no more mistakes than anyone else at the back.

I can't believe anyone would disagree it's time to start thinking past him and this at his age we need a long term replacement to come in now. But suddenly not good enough to play in the first team at all, no I'm just not having that.

It's not like Dragovic played for half a season and takes credit for where we are, I fear people are overplaying his impact when his start record is 1W, 2D, 2L in the league.

well that's where we differ, knowing what Puel wants us to do and how poor Wes is at it, I feel he hinders us, whilst he isn't a problem defensively I feel the team is worse overall for his playing in it

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

well that's where we differ, knowing what Puel wants us to do and how poor Wes is at it, I feel he hinders us, whilst he isn't a problem defensively I feel the team is worse overall for his playing in it

You see there is a big difference between saying that ^ and he's no longer first team material or not good enough as other say.

Could we do better now, yes. Could we find a better fit, yes.... but also, would Wes be absolutely fine as squad filler if we get a load of injuries, IMO yes.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Babylon said:

You see there is a big difference between saying that ^ and he's no longer first team material or not good enough as other say.

Could we do better now, yes. Could we find a better fit, yes.... but also, would Wes be absolutely fine as squad filler if we get a load of injuries, IMO yes.

I agree, whilst it might be difficult to expect Wes to play game after game all season now, there's no reason why he couldn't fill a gap if one arises. He knows the club already, knows the players, likes it here. No reason to buy someone else to fill a squad player role that Wes is almost certainly happy to do himself.

Why waste money on buying a backup CB when we should slowly putting Wes into that role and investing in a new starting CB?

Edited by Beechey
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Beechey said:

I agree, whilst it might be difficult to expect Wes to play game after game all season now, there's no reason why he couldn't fill a gap if one arises. He knows the club already, knows the players, likes it here. No reason to buy someone else to fill a squad player role that Wes is almost certainly happy to do himself.

Why waste money on buying a backup CB when we should slowly putting Wes into that role and investing in a new starting CB?

but is he happy to go from Captain to back up player? 

1 minute ago, Beechey said:

He's 34 and complained of joint and muscle pains, I'm sure he knows that his starting time is coming to an end.

maybe so but I'm sure he has more choice than retire or be back up at Leicester, he'd probably still walk into Forest's team for example

Rumours of his demise (as a player) have been greatly exaggerated. He really hasn’t been that bad. Yes I’d have liked to have seen more of Dragovic, but a possible contract extension is entirely reasonable as long as he doesn’t necessarily expect to start matches and is flexible enough to become more of a backup.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Love to see him as a coach at the club or emergency cover but his done for me, runs like he has dead legs.

Cant fault his effort or commitment, too many miles on the clock 

Someone who can hardly pass a ball as a coach. Great idea 

1 minute ago, bmouth_fox said:

I hate this assumption that if you think he’s past it you are ungrateful for what has done.

The opposite is true. Out of dignity and respect, I would hate to see him play much longer and further beyond his sell by date. Quit while you’re ahead!

Get the same reaction whenever question King. People can be grateful and respect what a player has contributed to the club, but still think he isn't good enough for us anymore. 

• Like 2