Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

Bit of a muddled question there really - if we're judging just on the league season then obvs the invincibles and man city last year. Man U treble team seems to be in there because of the season as a whole and not just the league - their league performance weren't all that and I'd say our title-winning side would have stood a good chance of taking points off them in both games. So then if we're doing the season as a whole then there were no invincibles because they did in fact lose multiple games that year. 

1 minute ago, dmayne7 said:

My thoughts exactly, even though I probably remember him more as CB. 

As brilliant as Cole was (an he was the best full back in the world), I'd still rather have Bobby Carlos in there :D

Baresi and Costacurta at centre half, Maldini on the left, Tassotti on the right. :claudio:

11 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Nope 

Provide the numbers to settle this then :whistle:, Maldini did start out as a left-back, but then was moved to the centre as he got older.

Might be my memory playing tricks on me, but I always had him down as more of a centre-back in terms of games played.

It's not even a question, he was a left back. He converted to CB later in his career as he slowed down a bit and Milan needed him there more (same as Christian Panucci really) but he was absolutely, above all else a left back. For like a decade or more. 

It's easier to remember him at CB as it's more recent I suppose but Baresi, Galli and Costacurta were definitely the boys in the middle. 

40 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

If this is about comparing best left-backs, then Maldini doesn't count, as he played centre-back for most of his career.

He played inside and outside defender,sometimes changing within games....If they played 3 at the back...again flexible

Like many WClass defenders of his ilk, remembered as a bline player,and in his time probably many seasons,the best!!

I like many would think of him ,on the inside,hence Cb,but I am sure someone could well as,prove otherwise.

I also remember him...covering brilliantly as a fullback....

Splitting hairs really...fking brilliant defender  Fullstop!!

his name will crop up,when WClass team selection are asked to be made...funny player,hard,dirty,fair,

one minute brutal,the next an Italian snowflake...

45 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

It's not even a question, he was a left back. He converted to CB later in his career as he slowed down a bit and Milan needed him there more (same as Christian Panucci really) but he was absolutely, above all else a left back. For like a decade or more. 

It's easier to remember him at CB as it's more recent I suppose but Baresi, Galli and Costacurta were definitely the boys in the middle. 

What I'm sure we can agree on is that he was definitely one of the best, if not THE best defender the world has ever seen (so far).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Chelsea under Jose 04-05, what a team. They only lost one league game all season too.

Chelsea under Mourinho (first time) were superb. That season as you mention and the following season. Similar to Arsenal and Manchester City last season, that Chelsea team were very enjoyable to watch.

I always remember like Ricardo Carvalho - thought he was superb - and Joe Cole who, on his day, was brilliant.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Baresi and Costacurta at centre half, Maldini on the left, Tassotti on the right. :claudio:

Moving forward a little more, Nesta and Cannavaro. What a pairing they were. I think if I had to select a team in my lifetime they'd both be there.

Baresi, a little bit early for me, but I understand he is one of the greatest defenders of all time.

1 minute ago, Fox92 said:

Moving forward a little more, Nesta and Cannavaro. What a pairing they were. I think if I had to select a team in my lifetime they'd both be there.

Baresi, a little bit early for me, but I understand he is one of the greatest defenders of all time.

The Milan back four quoted above is probably the best of all time. People talk about Italian defences, that's exactly the zenith of what they mean. 

• Like 1

The treble winning Man U side really wasn't that good.

They got less points than us, a ridiculous amount of luck and cheated to win a lot of the games.

Nowhere near the level of Man City last season even if the did win the trophies.

League titles prove a lot more than cup wins, Chelsea absolutely weren't the best side in Europe but they won the CL in 2012 but nobody remembers their league campaign. The narrative last season was that Liverpool were great, they finished 4th.

I'd go with the Invicbles of Arsenal simply because who they beat in the process of claiming the title. They were playing peak Man United. That's what makes the majority of United's titles so impressive - they had to see off some seriously impressive teams. I don't think Man City played an equal last season; Liverpool had no consistency and United were largely a joke. 

Man City last season got 10 more points, 6 more wins, 33 more goals and a larger goal difference of 32 than the invincibles. Not losing a game is an outstanding achievement but to get 100 points in the premier league is ****ing incredible 

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Baresi and Costacurta at centre half, Maldini on the left, Tassotti Panucci on the right. :claudio:

Fixed :)

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

The greatest defence of the lot, conceded 14 goals! in the 87-88 title win and that was when the league was ridiculously strong with Maradona's Napoli in 2nd.

4 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Chelsea under Mourinho (first time) were superb. That season as you mention and the following season. Similar to Arsenal and Manchester City last season, that Chelsea team were very enjoyable to watch. 

I always remember like Ricardo Carvalho - thought he was superb - and Joe Cole who, on his day, was brilliant. 

Brilliant team. I'll always remember Makelele, he was so good. Jose bought some excellent players with him, and even the likes of Duff performed that year.

6 hours ago, Stadt said:

League titles prove a lot more than cup wins, Chelsea absolutely weren't the best side in Europe but they won the CL in 2012 but nobody remembers their league campaign. The narrative last season was that Liverpool were great, they finished 4th.

This is a good point, it is why the England- Leicester comparisons around the World Cup were incorrect. Yes, we possibly both benefitted from better sides underperforming but at least Leicester had to play them all twice and couldn't find an easier path to the top by avoiding certain teams.

A cup win, whilst being impressive as you can't afford to lose, is distorted by not facing all other sides as you do in a league.

• Like 3