sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Baresi and Costacurta at centre half, Maldini on the left, Tassotti Panucci on the right. :claudio:

Fixed :)

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Baresi and Costacurta at centre half, Maldini on the left, Tassotti on the right. :claudio:

The greatest defence of the lot, conceded 14 goals! in the 87-88 title win and that was when the league was ridiculously strong with Maradona's Napoli in 2nd.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Chelsea under Mourinho (first time) were superb. That season as you mention and the following season. Similar to Arsenal and Manchester City last season, that Chelsea team were very enjoyable to watch. 

I always remember like Ricardo Carvalho - thought he was superb - and Joe Cole who, on his day, was brilliant. 

Brilliant team. I'll always remember Makelele, he was so good. Jose bought some excellent players with him, and even the likes of Duff performed that year.

9 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Brilliant team. I'll always remember Makelele, he was so good. Jose bought some excellent players with him, and even the likes of Duff performed that year.

We've signed a few Duffs! 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Stadt said:

League titles prove a lot more than cup wins, Chelsea absolutely weren't the best side in Europe but they won the CL in 2012 but nobody remembers their league campaign. The narrative last season was that Liverpool were great, they finished 4th.

This is a good point, it is why the England- Leicester comparisons around the World Cup were incorrect. Yes, we possibly both benefitted from better sides underperforming but at least Leicester had to play them all twice and couldn't find an easier path to the top by avoiding certain teams.

A cup win, whilst being impressive as you can't afford to lose, is distorted by not facing all other sides as you do in a league.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

Provide the numbers to settle this then :whistle:, Maldini did start out as a left-back, but then was moved to the centre as he got older.

Might be my memory playing tricks on me, but I always had him down as more of a centre-back in terms of games played.

18 hours ago, Finnegan said:

It's not even a question, he was a left back. He converted to CB later in his career as he slowed down a bit and Milan needed him there more (same as Christian Panucci really) but he was absolutely, above all else a left back. For like a decade or more. 

It's easier to remember him at CB as it's more recent I suppose but Baresi, Galli and Costacurta were definitely the boys in the middle. 

And I dont even remember him playing centre back at all lol. He obv did from your comments but its funny what you remember and what you dont from yesteryear football wise.

2 hours ago, Nalis said:

And I dont even remember him playing centre back at all lol. He obv did from your comments but its funny what you remember and what you dont from yesteryear football wise.

innit, like it’s well funny that finners is claiming to remember anyone in history being better than ashley cole. crazy what time can do to the brain. 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

innit, like it’s well funny that finners is claiming to remember anyone in history being better than ashley cole. crazy what time can do to the brain. 

It's just occurred to me is Loveday still sulking off somewhere? There is absolutely no doubt he'd settle this the right way. 

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

It's just occurred to me is Loveday still sulking off somewhere? There is absolutely no doubt he'd settle this the right way. 

I take it this is MTWG, judging from the Tinder thread?

Surprised he has gone off this forum, as had posted regularly for a good while.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

On 13/10/2018 at 10:54, Wymeswold fox said:

I take it this is MTWG, judging from the Tinder thread?

Surprised he has gone off this forum, as had posted regularly for a good while.

And, for those unelucidated as to the meaning of this acronym - any chance of the 'full monty'?

4 hours ago, Gerbold said:

And, for those unelucidated as to the meaning of this acronym - any chance of the 'full monty'?

Miguel the work Geordie.

But what about those that aren't unelucy****ingwhaddayacallit?

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, gw_leics772 said:

Miguel the work Geordie.

But what about those that aren't unelucy****ingwhaddayacallit?

Cheers - I might have understood it had it been MtWG. But why quibble?

As for unelucidated -  it should be in the dictionary.

Howyever, it's from the  Latin 'elucidare' - to enlighten.  Modern English meaning - "To make clear or plain, especially by explanation; clarify". Stick an 'un' in front of it and it means the opposite.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Gerbold said:

Cheers - I might have understood it had it been MtWG. But why quibble?

As for unelucidated -  it should be in the dictionary.

Howyever, it's from the  Latin 'elucidare' - to enlighten.  Modern English meaning - "To make clear or plain, especially by explanation; clarify". Stick an 'un' in front of it and it means the opposite.

Indubitably 

• Haha 1

Ahead of this weekends game, Skysports are doing a 'select your own Mourinho Premier League XI'. It shows the quality of the current United team that only one of them made it into mine and even then i could easily have even selected 2004-07 Cech over De Gea

De Gea

Ivanovic   Carvalho     Terry     Cole

Makelele    Essien

Lampard               

Robben            Drogba             Hazard

Edited by Staffs Fox

46 minutes ago, Staffs Fox said:

Ahead of this weekends game, Skysports are doing a 'select your own Mourinho Premier League XI'. It shows the quality of the current United team that only one of them made it into mine and even then i could easily have even selected 2004-07 Cech over De Gea

De Gea

Ivanovic   Carvalho     Terry     Cole

Makelele    Essien

Lampard               

Robben            Drogba             Hazard

To be fair I think that says more about the quality that he had at Chelsea than the lack thereof at Utd. A number of those players would have been in/around a World XI during the years in question.

Based on consistency/form, the only player I'd potentially add from Mourinho's days at Utd would be Zlatan, although Drogba in his prime makes it difficult to consider anyone else.

Edited by Xen
  • Like 1