Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

2 hours ago, Nod.E said:

https://streamable.com/r4y1a

Best goal I've seen in some time, that.

42 passes and not just any meaningless passes either.

They'll be a force in Europe if they can bring their A game.

Your selling it short slightly 44 passes in total 2nd most passes to result in a goal Man Utd hold the record with 45 passes

3 hours ago, Nod.E said:

Amazing, though i wonder, if it had been us..or didnt finish with a goal, how much we'd have heard blah, sideways , too much passing etc.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jammie82uk said:

Your selling it short slightly 44 passes in total 2nd most passes to result in a goal Man Utd hold the record with 45 passes

You know it’s a long spell of possession when your iPad goes to sleep while you’re watching the video...

You can hate what Man City represents as a club and still love what they do on the pitch sometimes.  That’s just magnificent football.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Martin Tyler is a bell end isn’t he.

Become proper sanctimonious and opinionated in the last few years as he's got older. Whether it's genuinely age, whether it's producer-forced or just because he believes in the smoke blown up his, he's definitely not as good as he was.

15 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Martin Tyler is a bell end isn’t he.

He used to be excellent but now just seems to talk all the time. Went on yesterday about Remembrance Day and now Man City are giving us something to remember.

Just crap.

11 hours ago, Nod.E said:

I guessing there's a few Leicester fans that would have walked out by the time the 42 passes had produce a goal. (not that we seem to be able to)

I'm happy for a passing game but I wouldn't agree they were all meaningful and it's certainly not in my list of the best goal I've seen in some time..

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Corky said:

He used to be excellent but now just seems to talk all the time. Went on yesterday about Remembrance Day and now Man City are giving us something to remember.

Just crap.

Seem to remember it something like: "on the eleventh day of the eleventh month, these two sets of eleven players are looking to give us a day to remember"

What is he even on about there? At least he's dropped his "league of late goals" mantra that he trotted out for a couple of years after Aguero's goal in 2012.

6 minutes ago, The Blur said:

Trying to purchase a ticket in Fulham end for Leicester match.   Their pricing is absolutely appalling- £60 plus  for some stands which is more expensive than some of  Manchester Derby tickets yesterday.  

The Guardian Football Weekly podcast briefly mentioned this last week. They said that tickets for every game range between £55-85 per match, just staggering. If there's one thing I fear about relegation it's not years of struggle to get back out, it's the away ticket prices when they become uncapped.

Surely if those prices continue and the team carry on being awful the casual crowds will just melt away.

2 hours ago, davieG said:

I guessing there's a few Leicester fans that would have walked out by the time the 42 passes had produce a goal. (not that we seem to be able to)

I'm happy for a passing game but I wouldn't agree they were all meaningful and it's certainly not in my list of the best goal I've seen in some time..

Maybe not all 44 (as it turns out it was.)

But the level of skill required to exercise that level of control, all the while flowing and remaining easy on the eye, is something that any football fan should be able to appreciate.

Some people prefer 35 yard screamers. Of course there is skill involved in that, too, but there's a good serving of luck with those, too. You can't fluke a team goal like that. Just brilliant.

12 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

But the level of skill required to exercise that level of control, all the while flowing and remaining easy on the eye, is something that any football fan should be able to appreciate.

Some people prefer 35 yard screamers. Of course there is skill involved in that, too, but there's a good serving of luck with those, too. You can't fluke a team goal like that. Just brilliant.

As crazy as it sounds, there are a lot of fans of our club who I'm convinced don't like goals like that. I have a friend actually who despised both the Barcelona and Spanish national teams at their peak for playing tiki-taka football. Some people are genuinely old-school and prefer the old English physical style of lumping it forward, winning physical duels and over-powering teams rather than out playing them. I think it's a generational thing because thanks to the Internet and things like Sky Sports, younger fans are more aware of European style football and more tollerant of it. 

Personally I love team goals like that, and for me it's the esscence of football. The ball moves faster than the man! So work as a team together to use the ball to drag the other team out of position, create the space and make opportunities to score. Don't get me wrong I appreciate all goals and our lethal counter attacks from 15/16 were always thrilling to see, but goals like that one really are a work of art.

3 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

As crazy as it sounds, there are a lot of fans of our club who I'm convinced don't like goals like that. I have a friend actually who despised both the Barcelona and Spanish national teams at their peak for playing tiki-taka football. Some people are genuinely old-school and prefer the old English physical style of lumping it forward, winning physical duels and over-powering teams rather than out playing them. I think it's a generational thing because thanks to the Internet and things like Sky Sports, younger fans are more aware of European style football and more tollerant of it. 

Personally I love team goals like that, and for me it's the esscence of football. The ball moves faster than the man! So work as a team together to use the ball to drag the other team out of position, create the space and make opportunities to score. Don't get me wrong I appreciate all goals and our lethal counter attacks from 15/16 were always thrilling to see, but goals like that one really are a work of art.

I remember season before last when our lads gave them a good going over and Pep was criticised for lack of good defenders, and he seemed to imply that he didn’t need any. He was slated at the time, but now his vision has come together I think it’s clear most of us didn’t really understand what he was getting at.

In hindsight he meant that with sufficient possession there is no real need for outright defence. Personally I find their style very corporate. You get the impression that any group of players with sufficiently high quality playing to his formula could do the same, any one of them replaceable. All very clever but I find our old counter attacking style more exciting.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Variety for me is the best option, inter-passing, direct long ball, direct quick forward passing and quick break outs. A team that just sticks to one option can and does get repetitive.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, jammie82uk said:

I'll settle for a long punt downfield by Kasper and Vardy hitting the ball over his shoulder on the half volley for a goal.

There were times in that match and others of the big 5 this week where I just got bored watching the defenders pass the ball along the back line again and again.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Nod.E said:

I would argue that Gundogan was lucky to be left all alone by Matic there after Lindelof clearly indicates to stay on him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WigstonWanderer said:

In hindsight he meant that with sufficient possession there is no real need for outright defence. Personally I find their style very corporate. You get the impression that any group of players with sufficiently high quality playing to his formula could do the same, any one of them replaceable. All very clever but I find our old counter attacking style more exciting.

I know what you mean. It's almost exactly the same style he employed at Barcelona but with different players. So one could make the assumption that he could do it at another team too given the money and resources. But that's not Pep's fault... if anything it shows you what a good coach he is that he has been able to replicate such a tricky style at two teams now (less succesful with Bayern though...). There are slight adjustments he's made for the Premier league, but by and large the style is very recognisable.

26 minutes ago, davieG said:

Variety for me is the best option, inter-passing, direct long ball, direct quick forward passing and quick break outs. A team that just sticks to one option can and does get repetitive.

This is always an interesting question. I agree in theory that a team shouldn't be a "one trick pony" and the best team would be able to play in any way at any time. But in reality that's quite tricky to do and sometimes teams with a lot of variety might actually just be teams with no clear game plan! But for example with our current team you can feel the frustration in the ground when we pass it side to side ad nauseum without making anything and at this point fans would rather see us put it into the box or take a shot to try something else. The problem from a coaching level though is that if a side tries too many things, they might not be good at anything. Our title winning team was good at a few things very specifically and that season it worked impeccably. 

I think our current team does actually have variety because we've shown we can score goals from open play (versus Cardiff was a great team goal), through counter attacks (versus Huddersfield at home) and from set pieces (Newcastle) as just a few examples. I think the main issue is that our team overall has fairly mediocre players compared to the teams in the top 5, so we aren't fantastic at it. Thus if often feels like we are not exciting. But then with lots of young players playing this way, it's the ideal way to help them all improve this style of play together. 

I guess we will all see if as a team we can get better at this type of football, or if it's ultimately beyond our reach.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Generational?

Yeah - let's face it. All those years of standing in the Kop, smoking No. 6 and drinking M & B Mild have affected my mind to such a point that the only football I can appreciate  consists of big hoofs up the field to a 6-foot plus centre forward.

i mean it's not like we ever had any different way of playing is it? 

Players like Keith Weller, Frank McLintock  and Davie Gibson? Cloggers in old- fashioned boots. Weren't they...?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

Generational?

Yeah - let's face it. All those years of standing in the Kop, smoking No. 6 and drinking M & B Mild have affected my mind to such a point that the only football I can appreciate  consists of big hoofs up the field to a 6-foot plus centre forward.

i mean it's not like we ever had any different way of playing is it? 

Players like Keith Weller, Frank McLintock  and Davie Gibson? Cloggers in old- fashioned boots. Weren't they...?

I'm not saying that ALL people from a generation think that way, as that would clearly be ridiculous. But I am saying that personally when I see the team play there are some fans that do think this way. And actually it's not specifically the older generation either, though it's not the younger fans.