Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

There's a difference between the 2010 Barca and Spain teams though.

2010 Barca played posession football with purpose.

2010 Spain didnt play with much purpose at all and I cant believe when people creamed themselves over their style of play in that world cup when I found it incredibly boring. They won most of their matches 1-0 and basically parked the bus but simultaneously in possession of the ball.

• Like 2

Pep's Barca weren't even slightly boring, they were pretty much the same as his Man City. There's a difference between not giving the ball away cheaply and keeping it for the sakes of it. 

People judged Barca on the few Champions League games they watched and got annoyed because teams were predictably parked the bus because its an insanely high profile tournament game. Not really their fault the match would be dull. 

Spain got crazy dull though, peaking when they decided they'd remove all strikers and just chuck Fabregas up there. 

It was Barca without Messi, Henry, Eto'o, Zlatan, Alexis Sanchez, etc. IE, basically all the forwards (except Villa.) I mean, Iniesta or not, that's never gonna be thrilling. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Pep's Barca weren't even slightly boring, they were pretty much the same as his Man City. There's a difference between not giving the ball away cheaply and keeping it for the sakes of it. 

People judged Barca on the few Champions League games they watched and got annoyed because teams were predictably parked the bus because its an insanely high profile tournament game. Not really their fault the match would be dull. 

Spain got crazy dull though, peaking when they decided they'd remove all strikers and just chuck Fabregas up there. 

It was Barca without Messi, Henry, Eto'o, Zlatan, Alexis Sanchez, etc. IE, basically all the forwards (except Villa.) I mean, Iniesta or not, that's never gonna be thrilling. 

The problem people had with Guardiola's Barcelona wasn't so much the style of play (Messi and Iniesta in particular were responsible for some beautiful moments). It was that there was a lack of competitiveness in 90% of their matches. A 5-0 win full of beautiful, attacking football is great to watch every now and again but unless it's your team, if it happens every week, it soon becomes tedious. 

Edited by Danizen

1 hour ago, Danizen said:

The problem people had with Guardiola's Barcelona wasn't so much the style of play (Messi and Iniesta in particular were responsible for some beautiful moments). It was that there was a lack of competitiveness in 90% of their matches. A 5-0 win full of beautiful, attacking football is great to watch every now and again but unless it's your team, if it happens every week, it soon becomes tedious. 

But that's just Man City now and people are noshing them off left, right and centre. You'd get all the usual "Spanish league is just weak" melts who are all mysteriously quiet now Man City beat everyone 3-0 or more every week. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Osavo said:

What a ****ing joke. Scudamore should be squirming receiving that, especially after all the wonderful stories about Vichai's generosity to those less fortunate in recent weeks. Ridiculous. 

I hope we walk away from this. 

6 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

As if we needed more proof just how out of touch the PL is.  If he doesn't already have enough put away and a decent pension plan then he's been very foolish with his multimillion yearly income.

At least his replacement is a bit of a more forward thinking appointment.... however does point towards how Premier League will become more of a content vehicle (essentially Sussanah is a content production/distribution expert so will be tasked with selling more and more rights deals)

https://www.premierleague.com/news/911254/?sf202180837=1

Good to see our own Susan Whelan on the hiring comity.... we're probably lucky she is on that as I bet she'd have been top of the list otherwise! 

51 minutes ago, Corky said:

Clubs were quite reluctant to reduce ticket prices for away fans, weren't they, before they finally relented? 

Quite happy to give a quarter of a million each to an already rich man, though.

Ordinarily I'd post something snarky about football or the rich. 

Your post is so bleak i couldn't possibly make it worse. 

• Like 1

Some one is definitely meme'ing with that appointment.

'Dinnage joins from media organisation Discovery, where she was the global president of the Animal Planet channel.'

'Dinnage does not have experience within the football industry'

What's worse is that, presuming it doesn't come out of the personal banks of the owners but the club's bank then that money is essentially 'fans' money either through gate receipts or TV payments.

• Sad 1