Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

I don't think those things alone would make a player pick a team, it's just one of a number of things. If I was a player I'd look at things like the below, in no particular order.

Money - An obvious one, but whoever offers the most is already ahead of the pack.

League Finish - Where have the team finished that season, does that include europe next season. Personally speaking, the Europe part wouldn't on it's own make me turn down someone else who I thought was a better long term option.

Consistency of finish - Are the team on an upward curve, is there consistency in their finishes. It's fine finishing 7th one season, but if for the three years before you've been 16th. I might look at it as a one off.

Lack of turmoil - Are they constantly changing managers, are there well known boardroom issues

Ambition - This can be shown in any number of ways, investment in the team. Investment in the club. Just saying you are ambitious isn't enough. You have to be showing it somehow.

Chance to progress - Are the club a good stepping stone, are they respected, have others trod the same path to bigger and better clubs.

Cups - For the cups thing to attract players, you'd need to be winning them consistently for years. Otherwise people will look at your history and see it as a one off, just as they did when we won the league.

Geography - Where is the club, do I have easy access to big cities.

By heck you’re really going for it now !! ..    that keyboard must be glowing ...   have you got asbestos fingers !??

Nearly there now Babs ...   :)

7 hours ago, Papasmurf said:

Ridiculous. It's not about giving chances to more English players it's about the rich getting richer and widening the gap between the premier league elite.

So we're going to boot smaller teams with a 100+ year history out the league to make way for premier league B teams?  Shocking.

There are somethings you don't do,not even think about!!!

This is one of those somethings...

22 minutes ago, oohaahmustafa said:

Why will our home game with Brighton on Tues Feb 26th be moved if Chelsea don't reach the league cup final? (The OS states this will happen) 

Brighton are set to play Chelsea on the Sunday (24th) in the league. If Chelsea make the final that will be rearranged, otherwise they'll play and then Brighton can't play on the Tuesday because there's not a big enough gap between their two games (it'll be moved to the following evening)

• Thanks 1

Also find that Everton story (and quote from their owner) so bizzare, it's a strange logic some people seem to have in which building a new, bigger stadium equates to winning trophies. It means absolutely nothing, more money in but ticket sales are such a negligible part of Premier League side's income these days.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Langston said:

Also find that Everton story (and quote from their owner) so bizzare, it's a strange logic some people seem to have in which building a new, bigger stadium equates to winning trophies. It means absolutely nothing, more money in but ticket sales are such a negligible part of Premier League side's income these days.

Premier league clubs can supposedly exist without any fans in the stadium. 

11 minutes ago, Langston said:

They didn't put a timeframe on it so I don't really think it's odd at all. Should their goal be 7th every season instead? It's fine to aim to win the competition someday, and they're the club outside the Top 6 who are most likely to do it (maybe Wolves ;))

1 minute ago, Nicolo Barella said:

They didn't put a timeframe on it so I don't really think it's odd at all. Should their goal be 7th every season instead? It's fine to aim to win the competition someday, and they're the club outside the Top 6 who are most likely to do it (maybe Wolves ;))

Surely we're the club most likely to do it, given we're seventh, our side is better than theirs and we've done it recently?

1 minute ago, Langston said:

Surely we're the club most likely to do it, given we're seventh, our side is better than theirs and we've done it recently?

They've got a bigger wage bill, and as long as FFP is around that won't change. And being seventh right now doesn't have much impact on winning the league (probably many years from now). I also suspect they will soon get their shit together. But you may be right, and i hope you are

8 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Just realised we may not be talking about the same quote from their owner. I was talking about Moshiri saying he wants to win the prem there, not that stuff about having to move to a bigger ground. 

In all fairness if they can't expand Goodison and there's big demand from fans for an expansion of that size then really they should do it.

10 hours ago, Papasmurf said:

Ridiculous. It's not about giving chances to more English players it's about the rich getting richer and widening the gap between the premier league elite.

So we're going to boot smaller teams with a 100+ year history out the league to make way for premier league B teams?  Shocking.

There are somethings you don't do,not even think about!!!

This is one of those somethings...

13 hours ago, Koke said:

I know there are big opposition to this, and understandably so, but Pep does have a point about this 

Pep can do one.

If they had their way the prem league would be comprised of the top 5 (sorry spurs) and their respective  B,  C and D stacked teams.

English players need to be given a chance with all prem clubs (foreigner limit) or they recognize the way of the prem league these days and go play in  la liga/ligue 1/bundesliga/serie A etc. Then when they kick butt abroad english clubs can pay up for the proven talent.

Hard salary caps are needed in football otherwise you cant  truly ever compete fairly against the ones who have the most money. The prem league would be more exciting if all clubs had a more equal chance of winning. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

Pep can do one.

If they had their way the prem league would be comprised of the top 5 (sorry spurs) and their respective  B,  C and D stacked teams.

English players need to be given a chance with all prem clubs (foreigner limit) or they recognize the way of the prem league these days and go play in  la liga/ligue 1/bundesliga/serie A etc. Then when they kick butt abroad english clubs can pay up for the proven talent.

Hard salary caps are needed in football otherwise you cant  truly ever compete fairly against the ones who have the most money. The prem league would be more exciting if all clubs had a more equal chance of winning. 

Agree..PEP idea puts it on fawlty towers- Manuel preportions!!!!

I agree with the rest of your points,but outside a Brexit decision and foreign-player control,can't see it happening.

Hard salary caps,the PL could enforce that,but will they!!!  We would still be paying above the norm compared to other european leagues,so we could

also even that down just a bit!!! ...

7 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Brighton are set to play Chelsea on the Sunday (24th) in the league. If Chelsea make the final that will be rearranged, otherwise they'll play and then Brighton can't play on the Tuesday because there's not a big enough gap between their two games (it'll be moved to the following evening)

Surely our game with Brighton goes to Wednesday regardless as the final's normally on Sunday anyway isn't it?

If you capped wages, you'd have to cap everything else - Transfer fees, agents fees, bonuses, etc. Otherwise clubs would just find a way around it. 

Even if that were done, players would just pick the most successful clubs challenging for trophies all the time and no-one else would stand a chance.