Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

Newcastle seem to be having a very productive break over in Spain, even fit a friendly in against CSKA Moscow. Rafa always seems very good at getting his players to work as hard as possible during tough times (cancelling parties, extra training etc)

It does annoy me that we never seem to do anything like this mid season, we've had two big breaks in quick succession and seem to have just given a considerable amount of time off to players (as has been the case for years now!) instead of grafting and perhaps in this case, having a strong end to the season!

At the end of the day, no matter how much Newcastle are struggling they're only 7 point behind us and they're on a similar trajectory to the one they went on at the end of last season.

4 hours ago, AjcW said:

Newcastle seem to be having a very productive break over in Spain, even fit a friendly in against CSKA Moscow. Rafa always seems very good at getting his players to work as hard as possible during tough times (cancelling parties, extra training etc)

It does annoy me that we never seem to do anything like this mid season, we've had two big breaks in quick succession and seem to have just given a considerable amount of time off to players (as has been the case for years now!) instead of grafting and perhaps in this case, having a strong end to the season!

At the end of the day, no matter how much Newcastle are struggling they're only 7 point behind us and they're on a similar trajectory to the one they went on at the end of last season.

The amount of times people on here say certain players look knackered... I think it’ll be an educated decision not to force unnecessary travel and friendlies. Instead staying at home and most likely having some light training and possibly a day or two off when the opportunity presented itself.

9 hours ago, H.a.r.r.y said:

Chelsea fans just booed Sarri and his substitutions, we aren't the only ones?

I was amazed to wake up this morning and find a manager more derided than Puel!

Football fans are never happy........top 6 and a league cup final and they are calling for him to be sacked............Sound familiar?!!

10 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

Ok its the fa cup.. but man utd seem to have nicked our Ulloa bad moon risibg chant

Sadly, I think they might have had it first as I've heard them sing something very similar to the Ulloa chant a few years ago.

20 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

This Cardiff/Sala business is so tacky. They want to mourn him as "forever a bluebird" yet they don't want to be liable for the fee. Whether he was registered or not he was going to be there player and Nantes could've used some of that money to sign other players etc. Leaves a bad taste

17 hours ago, st albans fox said:

I really don’t understand this. When you buy a house your solicitor ensures you have taken out buildings insurance before completion - if someone at Cardiff has fooked up then it’s their problem. Nantes should receive the fee as was agreed when the deal was signed. 

I know now a little more than I can say on this but imo, Cardiff’s early statement that they didn’t have anything to do with the flight arrangements is crucial and part of their attempts to make them legally not liable .

Everything will come out over time .... 

I still find it unbelievable that you'd spend 15 million pounds on a player and leave travel arrangements to others. Who then book an old plane, registered in another country, with an amateur pilot who is not registered or allowed to fly passengers for profit (so I've read out here).

At the very least you think Cardiff should have been consulted, if only to make an impression on a new signing. It's strange Cardiff would welcome their most expensive ever signing by allowing him to fly in on a crappy old plane!

A flight on a proper registered Learjet, with two pilots, who are fully qualified, for that journey would have cost around 10k. Peanuts when you've spent 15 million.

And did his agent have to pay for travel out of his own pocket? If so, why did he go for the cheapest possible option? And why did Cardiff let him?

Cardiff should cough up and not try to wriggle out of  payment. It's a terrible situation, but to simplify, if you have bought a product and you brake it before use, you can't expect to stop the payment.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, ThaiFox said:

I still find it unbelievable that you'd spend 15 million pounds on a player and leave travel arrangements to others. Who then book an old plane, registered in another country, with an amateur pilot who is not registered or allowed to fly passengers for profit (so I've read out here).

At the very least you think Cardiff should have been consulted, if only to make an impression on a new signing. It's strange Cardiff would welcome their most expensive ever signing by allowing him to fly in on a crappy old plane!

A flight on a proper registered Learjet, with two pilots, who are fully qualified, for that journey would have cost around 10k. Peanuts when you've spent 15 million.

And did his agent have to pay for travel out of his own pocket? If so, why did he go for the cheapest possible option? And why did Cardiff let him?

Cardiff should cough up and not try to wriggle out of  payment. It's a terrible situation, but to simplify, if you have bought a product and you brake it before use, you can't expect to stop the payment.

Because believe it or not football is an amateurish business run by agents and chief execs who on the whole are pretty thick.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

Because believe it or not football is an amateurish business run by agents and chief execs who on the whole are pretty thick.

You're not wrong there!

I lived in London many years ago and a neighbour of mine was a sports agent managing some huge names in football, cricket and rugby. He used to call them 'pieces of meat' and honestly didn't give a rats ass about them as long as he made huge bucks from them. 

Still can't believe Cardiff would want to welcome their most expensive ever signing to arrive in a crappy old plane! You'd think they would want to show him off to their fans in real style.

39 minutes ago, ThaiFox said:

You're not wrong there!

I lived in London many years ago and a neighbour of mine was a sports agent managing some huge names in football, cricket and rugby. He used to call them 'pieces of meat' and honestly didn't give a rats ass about them as long as he made huge bucks from them. 

Still can't believe Cardiff would want to welcome their most expensive ever signing to arrive in a crappy old plane! You'd think they would want to show him off to their fans in real style.

What does how he arrived have to do with Cardiff showing him off to their fans? I can't recall many signings being unveiled mid air or in view of the mode of transport they've used to travelled to their new club.

1 hour ago, ThaiFox said:

You're not wrong there!

A crappy old plane or a new £6m helicopter doesn't guarantee safety as we all only know too well. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

Ok its the fa cup.. but man utd seem to have nicked our Ulloa bad moon risibg chant

They've sang that for donkeys years. I remember the 5-3 game we started singing the Ulloa chant, they tried to drown it out with their Stretford End Rising chant and we just turned the volume up even higher (even though we were losing).

5 hours ago, weller54 said:

A crappy old plane or a new £6m helicopter doesn't guarantee safety as we all only know too well. 

Of course you are right......but the chances of a well maintained newish vehicle breaking down piloted by a well trained driver, against a old badly maintained and driven by an amateur, does cut the percentages of an accident somewhat. 

Edited by ThaiFox
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Langston said:

What does how he arrived have to do with Cardiff showing him off to their fans? I can't recall many signings being unveiled mid air or in view of the mode of transport they've used to travelled to their new club.

If it were my club, and a record signing at that, I would like to show a player, and the fans, how well and professionally I, and the club, ran things. 

Just think if you were a newly recruited and headhunted executive how greatly it reflects on a business if you are picked up in a beaten up old Skoda with a amateur driver, or a brand new Mercedes with a immaculate chauffeur! 

7 hours ago, FIF said:

So refreshing to see that Sarri is more likely to get the sack than Puel. Who would have said that at the beginning of the season?

Tbh I would have told you that (easy to say now, I know I know). But although I rate Sarri very highly, I figured that Chelsea was totally the wrong job. Recalcitrant players with far too much power, new league, have to teach them a new playstyle, a board notorious for sackings... 

Meanwhile, if Puel was going to be sacked before the end of this season, it would have happened last season after Palace. Imo.