sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

13 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Then take on the Black shirt,and show us how it should really be done...:wave:

Not me. While I admire what they do (despite sometimes atrocious decisions) I value my mental well being too much.

Anyone who has ever played the game at a local level will know that the usual protocol is that whilst the leagues provide the ref, each team is supposed to provide someone to run the line (usually one of the subs).  First time I was asked to do this I could not believe the abuse I got, even from my own team mates when I gave a decision against them. Whatever you give, you are either a cheat (in the eyes of the opposition) or letting your side down (if you give it in favour of the opponents).. This is ten times worse for the ref.

I admit there is a huge range of abilities in refs as there is in those actually playing but they should be given some credit for what is a thankless task.  Most of the refs that I have talked to would all much rather be playing but for a variety of reasons (injury, fitness, age, or simply no talent) cannot but still want to be involved in the game.  At least in grass roots level many of the refs do, or have played the game at a similar standard to that that they ref at.  I wonder why no pro footballers take up refereeing when they hang their boots up? It is about time the FA encouraged some ex players onto the ref circuit and refs committees.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, urban fox said:

Not me. While I admire what they do (despite sometimes atrocious decisions) I value my mental well being too much.

Anyone who has ever played the game at a local level will know that the usual protocol is that whilst the leagues provide the ref, each team is supposed to provide someone to run the line (usually one of the subs).  First time I was asked to do this I could not believe the abuse I got, even from my own team mates when I gave a decision against them. Whatever you give, you are either a cheat (in the eyes of the opposition) or letting your side down (if you give it in favour of the opponents).. This is ten times worse for the ref.

I admit there is a huge range of abilities in refs as there is in those actually playing but they should be given some credit for what is a thankless task.  Most of the refs that I have talked to would all much rather be playing but for a variety of reasons (injury, fitness, age, or simply no talent) cannot but still want to be involved in the game.  At least in grass roots level many of the refs do, or have played the game at a similar standard to that that they ref at.  I wonder why no pro footballers take up refereeing when they hang their boots up? It is about time the FA encouraged some ex players onto the ref circuit and refs committees.

It’s an interesting post. And in my opinion, it’s because nobody, of sound mind, actually wants to do it professionally. I did lads football for a bit when I was 17/18 and even that was horrendous. 

I mean yeah they might be the best we’ve got, but it’s a small pool of people to choose from who actually want to do it as a profession. If you wanted to be a professional ref, I think you could, if you started early enough and applied yourself to do well - through promotion across the referee levels etc. It isn’t a closed shop. 

9 hours ago, urban fox said:

When I managed my works team I occasionally ended up reffing or running the line and as you say a thankless task. 

One away game whilst running the line I flagged one of the other team for offside and he was at least 2 metres adrift the ref from their team ignored me and gave  the goal he scored so I strolled over and gave him the flag and told him to put somewhere he might find it useful. I refused to do either roles after that.

Horendous job at grassroots level.

• Like 1

Whenever I used to run the line I loved it, had some right ding dongs with crap strikers that couldn’t stay onside, I probably broke all the offiaciating guidelines but if they gave me abuse they got it back both barrels. Soon shut them up. lol 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ScouseFox said:

happy three-o walcott day everyone. can’t believe we finally made it. 

I feel old!

5 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Haha! Just came on here to post this!!!

I've been waiting for this day for years!

Am I missing something here? I don’t understand what’s going on?

Edited by Phube

38 minutes ago, Phube said:

Am I missing something here? I don’t understand what’s going on?

Sounds like somebody doesnt watch Peep Show! It's a classic line from the show. Can't for the life of me find a clip of it. Basically one of the characters plan to make it in life without working is to sell the headline Three-0 Walcott to the tabloids when Theo Walcott turns 30. This episode came out years ago and lots of hardcore fans have been counting down the day and today it arrives! This explanation has probably sucked any sort of humour out of it. You have to have watched the show.

Edited by Arriba Los Zorros
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Haha! Just came on here to post this!!!

I've been waiting for this day for years!

Waiting for this day has felt a bit like that guy in Back to The Future II who has to wait to deliver that 70 year old letter to Marty.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Waiting for this day has felt a bit like that guy in Back to The Future II who has to wait to deliver that 70 year old letter to Marty.

Haha so it is! Wonder what Theo makes of it all!! He has to know surely.

Burnley's run in...huge game against Cardiff coming up.

Wolves H

Bournemouth A

Cardiff H

Chelsea A

Man City H

Everton A

Arsenal H.

6 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Burnley's run in...huge game against Cardiff coming up.

Wolves H

Bournemouth A

Cardiff H

Chelsea A

Man City H

Everton A

Arsenal H.

They are in trouble looking at that and the fact they didn’t create anything against our 10 men pretty much the whole match! 

Who did Dyche blame this time?

The ref for sending Maguire off too early....

Have to say I didn't think a Rodgers team could do that so well played.

Edited by Super_horns
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Who did Dyche blame this time?

The ref for sending McGuire off too early....

Have to say I didn't think a Rodgers could do that so well played.

Come on, you're better than that

• Haha 1