Jump to content
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

Recommended Posts

2 reasons why I shouldn't want Liverpool to do it;

1) I grew up in the 60s when (mainly due to The Beatles) Liverpool was widely touted as the cultural capital of the world to the point of total cliché.

2) Talking of cliché, I've always found the city itself to be a kind of living museum of it.

Despite this, though, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest if they do. As a noted philosopher once put it - it's no skin off my hooter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate Liverpool so much because there were more Liverpool fans in my school year than Leicester. The school was 6 miles away from the city centre ffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Stoopid said:

Got a friend who's a Brighton fan, she said they're a bit conflicted about Chris Hughton. 

Many of them seem fed up with his approach, feeling it's too negative, too predictable. At the same time they think if they got rid they might end up with something worse.

They're lucky Cardiff are so crap, but the feeling there is pretty toxic from what I gather. For a defensive coach to concede five at home - seems like the end's in sight for him...

 

Hughton is Brighton's greatest ever manager. They've never been at this level before. They've spent money on crap players though. They signed about 11 players in the summer and I can't name you 3 of them. Put money on them going down nect season m.

 

I think they will stick with him regardless like Burnley did with Dyche few years back.

Edited by Koke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Koke said:

 

Hughton is Brighton's greatest ever manager. They've never been at this level before. They've spent money on crap players though. They signed about 11 players in the summer and I can't name you 3 of them. Put money on them going down nect season m.

 

I think they will stick with him regardless like Burnley did with Dyche few years back.

 

Mmh, people said the same to us about Ranieri and then Puel. I'm cautious of defending a manager who's broadly lost the faith of the majority of his season ticket holders, the fans do generally know best most of the time. Not every fan but the lot collectively. They're the ones watching every week. 

 

A football club is about progression and the present, not being stuck in the past. It doesn't matter who has been at Brighton before it just matters whether or not they have the resources to get someone better in. 

 

A manager is no different to the players. Murray might be the best striker Brighton have ever had but you wouldn't begrudge them trying to sign a better one. It shouldn't be any different for managers, if Hughton has taken them as far as he can, they've every right to be ambitious and look for a manager to take them further. 

 

I don't look at Hughton and see a manager good enough to near guarantee they won't go down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Koke said:

 

Hughton is Brighton's greatest ever manager. They've never been at this level before. They've spent money on crap players though. They signed about 11 players in the summer and I can't name you 3 of them. Put money on them going down nect season m.

 

I think they will stick with him regardless like Burnley did with Dyche few years back.

Let's face it - for a team that took on Peter Taylor after his spell with us - that's a pretty low bar. Not to mention such greats as Steve Gritt and Jimmy Case.

Agree though, if he stays I think they'll struggle next season.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Stoopid said:

Got a friend who's a Brighton fan, she said they're a bit conflicted about Chris Hughton. 

Many of them seem fed up with his approach, feeling it's too negative, too predictable. At the same time they think if they got rid they might end up with something worse.

They're lucky Cardiff are so crap, but the feeling there is pretty toxic from what I gather. For a defensive coach to concede five at home - seems like the end's in sight for him...

There'll be a reaction against Cardiff and I expect them to win that game.

 

The recruitment at Brighton is a real issue, Jahanbaksh looks like a waste of money, Izquierdo is inconsistent, Andone' is very average and Locadia looked absolutely useless on Saturday.

 

I think Hughton will stay but he could be in trouble if they start next season badly.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

 

Mmh, people said the same to us about Ranieri and then Puel. I'm cautious of defending a manager who's broadly lost the faith of the majority of his season ticket holders, the fans do generally know best most of the time. Not every fan but the lot collectively. They're the ones watching every week. 

 

A football club is about progression and the present, not being stuck in the past. It doesn't matter who has been at Brighton before it just matters whether or not they have the resources to get someone better in. 

 

A manager is no different to the players. Murray might be the best striker Brighton have ever had but you wouldn't begrudge them trying to sign a better one. It shouldn't be any different for managers, if Hughton has taken them as far as he can, they've every right to be ambitious and look for a manager to take them further. 

 

I don't look at Hughton and see a manager good enough to near guarantee they won't go down.

 

I agree. There will be the inevitable media meltdown if they sack him. 

 

I like Chris Hughton but he us a poor manager at this level. His transfers has been really bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Tuna said:

There'll be a reaction against Cardiff and I expect them to win that game.

 

The recruitment at Brighton is a real issue, Jahanbaksh looks like a waste of money, Izquierdo is inconsistent, Andone' is very average and Locadia looked absolutely useless on Saturday.

 

I think Hughton will stay but he could be in trouble if they start next season badly.

 

Andone has been good for them I thought, just struggled with some injuries? Locadia's problem is he is continually played out on the wing instead of his natural striking position. I think some blame must lie with Hughton for not getting the most out of his players. The likes of Jahanbaksh would be more consistent under a more attacking coach imo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Koke said:

 

I agree. There will be the inevitable media meltdown if they sack him. 

 

I like Chris Hughton but he us a poor manager at this level. His transfers has been really bad.

The club have to do what is best for themselves. There seems to be this belief in the media (and other fans) that sacking somebody undoes all the work they've done, or you have always disliked them, never rated them etc. You can separate your gratitude for the man and his previous work whilst acknowledging he may have run his course at the club.

 

Sacking Hughton would be harsh based on his work from 2014-2018. Based on this season- no. Relegation is massive for teams in the Premier League- it's all very well for pundits to sit and wail that clubs are disgraceful, unfair, out of order when it doesn't affect them directly but they don't take into account the loss of revenue, the uncertainty and the potential issues relegation brings.

 

You can't have it both ways- you can't say how vital Premier League survival is then complain when clubs at to try and ensure it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Their latest statement ref: Salah bomber chants I found hypocritical given their defence of Suarez.......

That in a nutshell for me. There's a moral highground about them that I cannot ignore.

 

A Man Utd fan got it spot on yesterday as well by the way - the reaction to them yesterday you'd think they had just gone 7 points clear, rather than partially made up for bodging that gap in the first place.

 

There is a huge pro-Liverpool agenda in the media. I always said it was bad with Tottenham but this lot are even worse.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just imagine, IMAGINE if it got this far for Liverpool for them to go and drop points at home to Huddersfield. That would be the single funniest result in Premier League history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

That in a nutshell for me. There's a moral highground about them that I cannot ignore.

 

A Man Utd fan got it spot on yesterday as well by the way - the reaction to them yesterday you'd think they had just gone 7 points clear, rather than partially made up for bodging that gap in the first place.

 

There is a huge pro-Liverpool agenda in the media. I always said it was bad with Tottenham but this lot are even worse.

Now you've got me thinking about what it would be like if Spurs were in this position...  Ugh. Thanks :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Koke said:

 

Hughton is Brighton's greatest ever manager. They've never been at this level before. 

What? 

You do realise Football existed before the Premier league formed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sylofox said:

What? 

You do realise Football existed before the Premier league formed. 

 

Second greatest then. Brighton's highest finish on the top division is 13th. Hughton finished 15th. They  have spent 6 seasons in the top flight (2 with Hughton). They reached the cup final in 1983 but was also relegated that season. Hughton has reached a semi final.

 

It's not a stretch to say Hughton is their greatest ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Koke said:

 

Second greatest then. Brighton's highest finish on the top division is 13th. Hughton finished 15th. They  have spent 6 seasons in the top flight (2 with Hughton). They reached the cup final in 1983 but was also relegated that season. Hughton has reached a semi final.

 

It's not a stretch to say Hughton is their greatest ever.

It was the never been at this level before. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

That in a nutshell for me. There's a moral highground about them that I cannot ignore.

 

A Man Utd fan got it spot on yesterday as well by the way - the reaction to them yesterday you'd think they had just gone 7 points clear, rather than partially made up for bodging that gap in the first place.

 

There is a huge pro-Liverpool agenda in the media. I always said it was bad with Tottenham but this lot are even worse.

A Man Utd fan is hardly going to say anything different is he?

 

Get sick of saying this( not aimed solely at you)

Do you not think for one minute Sky and the media hype it up on purpose.If not you are so naive.

Man City seem streaks ahead in football and players and for someone to get near and maybe go down to the wire on high 90 pts it is some title race.Its business.

Yes,it will never eclipse ours,but we were in the news and papers for weeks.

Kept every paper for days afterwards for keepsakes and it was vast.

 

Majority of Liverpool fans near me are sound and when we won it were saying unbelievable and well done

Spurs ( loads of them) mainly cocky,delusional twats were bitter,and still are.A few exceptions mind you.

For the record I have NO connections to Leicester whatsoever, so I feel it really odd that someone from Leicester supports a different team,I just don’t get it,and probably harder for me to get as riled up as most on here.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Stadt said:

I hate Liverpool so much because there were more Liverpool fans in my school year than Leicester. The school was 6 miles away from the city centre ffs.

Just about sums my feelings up as well. It’s the ones that actively go out of their way to give it the big one when their home town club (city in this case) lose that really ****ing wind me up. I know they’re doing it for that exact reaction but it still makes me go mad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...