Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Pre Season - any word?

On 4/15/2018 at 21:16, baker11 said:

A European pre season tour of say Germany or Italy would be great if not all the games were behind closed doors.

Bar that playing lower local league teams would also be nice. Thinking like your Notts County, Chesterfield, York type clubs.

Just not another pointless cashcow trip to Thailand or Hong Kong.

York's not very local. Bit of a random team to throw in when around here you have Northampton, Walsall, Lincoln, Mansfield etc

I think youd want ideally, a pre season that had league 1 and 2 teams in it that you could beat fairly routinely, and then build up to end with a game or two against respectable opposition, to replicate what youd see in your opening few games of the season and to give your "first team" as you see it a solid work out and cohesion.

Plans might be shortened a bit with the world cup though, some players returning a lot later than others etc

Didn't someone say there was a chance we would be touring holland this year. Can't remember where I heard it. But sure NAC Breda was 1 of 3 games planned. Which is a piece of piss to get to from Rotterdam on the train and the station is right outside the ground so I'd be well up for that as it's not a ground I've done yet.

But I may have imagined it :blink:

2 hours ago, Bayfox said:

Didn't someone say there was a chance we would be touring holland this year. Can't remember where I heard it. But sure NAC Breda was 1 of 3 games planned. Which is a piece of piss to get to from Rotterdam on the train and the station is right outside the ground so I'd be well up for that as it's not a ground I've done yet.

No long haul tour or trip to Holland but we will be going abroad on the now normal training camp

Is it fair to say that being in Europe would have made a difference to the plans in a couple of senses - firstly that the qualifier comes so early it could be seen as a pre season exercise in itself, I remember West Ham treating them as such. Secondly if we had ambitions of going far in the tournament we may have prepared by arranging friendlies against Foreign sides as with the pre Champions League summer (which may have helped us get used to the type of opposition but hardly set us up well for our season and our visit to the mighty Hull "12 fit players, drivers and catering staff on subs bench" City.

17 hours ago, Donut said:

York's not very local. Bit of a random team to throw in when around here you have Northampton, Walsall, Lincoln, Mansfield etc

I think youd want ideally, a pre season that had league 1 and 2 teams in it that you could beat fairly routinely, and then build up to end with a game or two against respectable opposition, to replicate what youd see in your opening few games of the season and to give your "first team" as you see it a solid work out and cohesion.

Plans might be shortened a bit with the world cup though, some players returning a lot later than others etc

Went there a couple of seasons ago when we had a Friendly up there. Some great pubs.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bayfox said:

Don't build my hopes up like that lol 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, fazzyfox said:

Always fancied a double header away to St Pauli and Hamburg (or a triple with Altona) but now that Hamburg have slipped down a league it might not match the mix of levels we need. 

That might be the case, but there's certainly three different levels of hipster home support we'd get from a trip to those three. :D

10 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Bring back 4 away games against Mansfield and that, then finish with a home game against a medium sized European team.

the lower league separates wheat from the chaff and then the higher end European is just a good gauge to see where we are at.

Im for it lets have 2 euro games though 1 home 1 away

Edited by les-tah