Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Claude Puel lays out his vision for Leicester City

5 minutes ago, davieG said:

Puel wants to see the academy sides adopt the same approach as his senior players as City evolves.

1COMMENT

By

Rob TannerFootball Writer

19:00, 16 APR 2018

Claude Puel says he is developing an identity for Leicester City which will help the emergence of young talent.

The City boss said he isn’t just trying to change City’s first team’s style of play so they can meet different challenges in the Premier League, he also wants to see the club’s junior teams playing in the same way.

Puel has helped the development of academy graduates Ben Chilwell and Hamza Choudhury, while Kiernan Dewsbury Hall travelled to Burnley with the first team on Saturday, and he said he would like to see more of the club’s academy players emerging into the senior ranks.

Puel wants to see the same footballing philosophy rolled out across the entire club to help the young players make the step up.

“We try to give the same possibilities for the under-23s and the academy,” said Puel.

“I am enjoying the work of Steve Beaglehole and Ben Petty and the under-23s because they have done a fantastic job.

Leicester City midfielder Hamza Choudhury in action with Burnley's Johann Berg Gudmundsson (Image: Plumb Images/Leicester City FC via Getty Images)

“We have tried also to give the same habits and system of play for these players.

“If Choudhury can play in the first at this moment it is because at under-23s he can play the same way with the same habits as the first team.

“For example we watched the under-23s play against Liverpool and Arsenal with fantastic play and fantastic goals.

“It is a good evolution for the whole club because we want to give direction to give a good philosophy of play for the academy and for the first team.

“For the future it is very important. We have to work in all parts of the club to develop the club.

“For example, we have the development of the training ground and the stadium.

Leicester City under-23s' head coach Steve Beaglehole (Image: Plumb Images/Leicester City FC via Getty Images)

“This club is growing in good condition and it is important to keep working this way, with good emotion and good balance in our emotion around the first team.

“I think we tried to give other solutions to the squad so they can play against any opponent, to play against a packed defence and we need to know to improve because it is sometimes difficult to find space, and against teams who play with possession we can play counter attack.

“We needed to have a complete game.”

Gone by Christmas ..... :ph34r:

6 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Good. Give him time. Rome wasn't built in a day. Pearson didn't build his squad in a year. Things take time.

Exactly! That article is also the exact reason he got the job and the exact reason I believe the owners will give him time here.

At the end of the day, whilst they are ambitious they are also realistic and know that 6th will be the best we can get for a long long time... so as long as he’s hovering around where we are now and throws in a good cup run or two his job is most likely safe.

I’m pleased to hear it, with the investment in the training ground we need joined up thinking.

• Like 2

Vision is one thing, implementation is another. It is likely to be a bumpy road but I believe he should be given time.

Whilst it's easy to 'say all the right things', plenty don't even manage to do that. 

Edited by Max Wall

7 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Puel wants us to become a pound shop Arsenal by buying and developing players with nothing about them whatsoever. We used to bring in players who fought for the shirt like Vardy, Huth, Drinkwater, Ulloa, Morgan ect. Puel wants players like the ones he brought in at Southampton who are cowards like him and who hide so they can’t tell the media how weak he is.

Managers have minor input to signings at Southampton.

To be honest the major signings made have good reputations. The inability of Southampton to replace a defence has caused them the problem. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

4 minutes ago, StanSP said:

give it a fvcking rest. 

he’s the weakest manager I’ve ever seen mate. Established players in the dressing room tell the media how he’s making the atmosphere at the club worse, few days later he invites the Daily Mail and his best mate Glenn Hoddle around to tell him how great he is. Pathetic. Ranieri would never have done that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

he’s the weakest manager I’ve ever seen mate. Established players in the dressing room tell the media how he’s making the atmosphere at the club worse, few days later he invites the Daily Mail and his best mate Glenn Hoddle around to tell him how great he is. Pathetic. Ranieri would never have done that.

If you think that of Puel, what do you think about senior players running off to the media rather than discussing it internally at the club? 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

must have missed this, where has this happened please?

I saw the article last week about rumours of disharmony in the dressing room from John Percy - didn't see any quotes from players, let alone established players...

Fantastic to hear....

Means even more reason to drop some of the players he's consistantly playing who are underperforming that people are questioning 'player power' off.

Grow some bollocks, show some discipline, drop them, play others, there aren't many options but there are options, this talk of youth - albeit dropping them in the deep end offers even more options = this 'player power' argument simple doesn't stand up.

Will he? Doubt it.

No excuses.

Edited by Matt

Somebody's angling for a (new) contract in the summer... :ph34r:

Let's hope Puel sticks to his word or is allowed to stick to his words, because our academy record on the whole is pretty much laughable.

I do, however, understand that many clubs are angling for talent - clubs like Manchester City or United are hoarding them, yet fail to give them a chance.

So, there's competition to get really good talent on board. Scouting and developing are tough businesses, because there are so many factors involved.

Still... I've seen great things of Harvey Barnes at Barnsley, yet he continues to rot in the U23s for now. I wonder whether Raul Uche will come back and better from his spell at Réal Bétis B. And Choudhory only got promoted due to our CM shortage and it remains to be seen how well he can adapt to PL life. What's with Josh Knight?

Then there's Elliott Moore and Callum Elder. Where will they fit in next season?

Edited by MC Prussian

3 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Well done to those players in speaking out it takes bravery imo. They won us the title. 

:blink::blink:

Bravery would be telling the coaching staff where they think they are going wrong. Not running off to the media every time they told to differ from their norm. 

We have five/six of that title winning team left who are regulars. Only one of them performs currently. Time to prove they aren’t living off one season. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 3

He wasn’t my choice (by a long stretch) as manager when he came and I’m still not convinced at all by him

however come on let’s just all get behind him and give him 100 per cent support while he is here. The philosophy of what he is saying sounds good, time to give it a chance?

• Like 2