Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Claude Puel lays out his vision for Leicester City

13 hours ago, davieG said:

I waited so long to hear a manager says this. It seems forever that there has been no tie up between the 1st team squad and the rest of the club.

Long may it continue.

I'm in total agreement but surely that should always have been the case.

4 minutes ago, sylofox said:

I'm in total agreement but surely that should always have been the case.

You'd think so, but plenty of managers in this "be successful now" football world never even look beyond the 1st team and if they need replacements buy one.

It doesn't matter who the manager is the club should have a common playing philosophy across all teams and that doesn't mean 442 or 433 etc, formations need to be flexible within an over all concept. How anyone can be against employing players that are comfortable on the ball and can make a decent pass under pressure is beyond me.

Sure we won the league without that but it's not sustainable as many have said it was the perfect storm.

Yes we are a bit laboured at the moment but if people can't see that that is not the aim then their dislike of Puel is somewhat clouding their vision. I'm sure Puel would love us to, on the back of comfortable possession get the ball forward quicker but that comes with confidence and is only apparent at the moment when the team becomes desperate.

I can see that the team currently lacks momentum but I believe that will improve with better players in all positions including the bench and if Puel can deliver that then great if not we get someone else in who believes in the same approach.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

You'd think so, but plenty of managers in this "be successful now" football world never even look beyond the 1st team and if they need replacements buy one.

It doesn't matter who the manager is the club should have a common playing philosophy across all teams and that doesn't mean 442 or 433 etc, formations need to be flexible within an over all concept. How anyone can be against employing players that are comfortable on the ball and can make a decent pass under pressure is beyond me.

Sure we won the league without that but it's not sustainable as many have said it was the perfect storm.

Yes we are a bit laboured at the moment but if people can't see that that is not the aim then their dislike of Puel is somewhat clouding their vision. I'm sure Puel would love us to, on the back of comfortable possession get the ball forward quicker but that comes with confidence and is only apparent at the moment when the team becomes desperate.

I can see that the team currently lacks momentum but I believe that will improve with better players in all positions including the bench and if Puel can deliver that then great if not we get someone else in who believes in the same approach.

You say if... but do you think he can deliver? 

1 minute ago, foxinsocks said:

You say if... but do you think he can deliver? 

If I knew that I'd be having a go on the lottery which is what football is.

A lot will depend on how he changes the team in the summer we all know new signings can be hit or miss despite the players pedigree. But if he isn't I'm sure based on previous managerial changes the owners will react.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, davieG said:

If I knew that I'd be having a go on the lottery which is what football is.

A lot will depend on how he changes the team in the summer we all know new signings can be hit or miss despite the players pedigree. But if he isn't I'm sure based on previous managerial changes the owners will react.

I hope he can... just as you do.  On balance i think not. ...and if it were down to me i wouldn't give him the chance... but i can see its a gray area.

I know some will say we cant keep burning thru managers... but we cant say "he is poor but we keep him on coz we dont want to sack too many managers"

If i am right the problem stemmed from his hiring.  We seem to select from the unemployed managers available .  We should decide the type of team we want to be and then go out and tempt the manager who will take us there.

I have seen enough to think giving puel the key to the war chest is unwise.  I guess it will happen.  I hope i am wrong.

Edited by foxinsocks
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

You do realise how the existing under 23s play? The team with a centre back as their top goalscorer. 

Get him in the first team quickly, because we sure as Hell need one who can score. I'm tired of seeing Morgan and Maguire coming forward and doing nothing.

We need another Walsh.

12 hours ago, EnglishOxide said:

1. Puel didn't really say that, or certainly nothing of the sort in a derogatory way.

2. We were shit when he came in, doing nothing but lumping the ball and inviting pressure on our defence, just like the back end of last season and pre Shakespeare honeymoon period under Claudio.

And we are not sh*t now ?

14 hours ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

he’s the weakest manager I’ve ever seen mate. Established players in the dressing room tell the media how he’s making the atmosphere at the club worse, few days later he invites the Daily Mail and his best mate Glenn Hoddle around to tell him how great he is. Pathetic. Ranieri would never have done that.

What, the established players who turned on Ranieri and got him sacked?

4 hours ago, m4DD0gg said:

Oh yeh cos I forgot you go to every game and see the rows of empty seats. 

Doesn't take a genius to realise that 2.2% of the stadium capacity is around 700 seats. So yes, there will be some empty seats. Absolute madness, isn't it? Not sure how we're still functioning as a club.

How did Man City win the league with their stadium only 97.5% full? Nothing makes sense anymore!

Edited by Beechey
  • Like 1

Good to hear.  We need to establish a proper identity that runs right through the entire club, at all levels.  I feel like Puel is a "long term manager" who the owners think can slowly evolve our club and I hope he gets time to do this.  I actually think our owners signed Ranieri for the same reason but then he accidentally went and won the league. Keep the faith.  X

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 2

what generally happens to managers with long term visions of how they want the team to play and often use the words or phrases like " we have a long term plan" or "I have a vision of how i want the team to play".

Yes it takes time to evolve the team to play in a completely different style but you also have to keep up performances and results while trying to change and adapt to how you want the team to play. it depends a lot on if you have the players and the right recruitment to get the players you want that can play to the style you want.

Mixed opinion on this...

Yes, we needed to become better at breaking teams down.

But if the intention is to change the style of the reserves and academy in line with what we've seen recently then we need to have the players good enough to play that style. As we've seen with the first team, if you ask the likes of Morgan and Simpson to play this style then they struggle. How many technically brilliant players have we brought through our academy in the last 20 years?

If the intention is to develop better players then that's going to take 5 to 10 years for us to see the effect. Many clubs have tried to change their style away from what made them successful (Stoke, West Brom, Swansea to name a few) and have looked worse for doing it.

It seems that possession-based football is back in vogue thanks to Guardiola. Something which doesn't take into account the fact that he's a one-off and that success has come for others (us winning the league, Atletico being one of the strongest teams in Europe and Burnley getting 7th) by trying at style which suits their players and isn't about keeping the ball for the sake of the possession stats.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

You do realise how the existing under 23s play? The team with a centre back as their top goalscorer. 

Yes, would expect anything else with Steve Beaglehole in charge....

You have seen the first team play? CP bring the same style to the youth setup feels me we no optimism!

Great idea, wrong people to implement it! 

16 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

Somebody's angling for a (new) contract in the summer... :ph34r:

Let's hope Puel sticks to his word or is allowed to stick to his words, because our academy record on the whole is pretty much laughable.

I do, however, understand that many clubs are angling for talent - clubs like Manchester City or United are hoarding them, yet fail to give them a chance.

So, there's competition to get really good talent on board. Scouting and developing are tough businesses, because there are so many factors involved.

Still... I've seen great things of Harvey Barnes at Barnsley, yet he continues to rot in the U23s for now. I wonder whether Raul Uche will come back and better from his spell at Réal Bétis B. And Choudhory only got promoted due to our CM shortage and it remains to be seen how well he can adapt to PL life. What's with Josh Knight?

Then there's Elliott Moore and Callum Elder. Where will they fit in next season?

There's a lot of clearing out in our squad to do. We have too many first team squad players who are in the way of the talented younger players. We've made far too many big purchases of players who aren't automatic choices for our first XI. Young players like Barnes, Choudhury and Knight have been given a chance and the likes of Uche and Elder may never be good enough.

Puel has only had one January transfer window so far and I get the impression that he'll want to clear a lot of the older squad players out when there is a talented young player in the U23's who is capable of filling that role and has potential to be a PL player. 

I think Puel will spend the club's money a lot more wiser than it has been in the last couple of years. He'll want to clear out a lot of the older squad players and only bring in players who are either going to be automatic first team players or young players with potential. In his ideal world the squad players will be academy graduates, young players he has brought into the club or older players on their way down. I expect to see much fewer players supplementing the squad that cost big money which is a big problem for us.

Nothing wrong with investing in and backing the youngsters, but it’s a concern if he’s drumming the same crap into them that he’s projected onto the first team players.

We need players thinking keeping the ball is the aim the game like we need a hole in the head.

17 hours ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Puel wants us to become a pound shop Arsenal by buying and developing players with nothing about them whatsoever. We used to bring in players who fought for the shirt like Vardy, Huth, Drinkwater, Ulloa, Morgan ect. Puel wants players like the ones he brought in at Southampton who are cowards like him and who hide so they can’t tell the media how weak he is.

OK, I'll rise....

Firstly what is your definition of "cowards" in this sentence?

Also, what evidence do you have that Puel and his Southampton players fit this definition?

Finally, didn't quite a few Southampton players tell the media and hence kinda ruin your argument?

Sorry, I just like to get facts straight in my head.

Thanks so much.

X

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Bboy said:

Listen people, I've read this forum every single day for about 5 years without fail.

And yet you seem so reasonable, and still in full possession of your faculties.  Probably forgot you even have a Caps Lock key.

What’s your secret?