Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
woznotwos

Mahrez to Man City shock

3 minutes ago, woznotwos said:

Really cannot believe there's not a cluster of clubs after his services and that there never really has been. Its perplexing .  

Don't think he has helped himself with the transfer requests and sulks. Also, his inconsistency will be a real concern for clubs when asked to spend £60m upwards.

Obviously we are all a bit biased and know how great he can be, but from the outside, I can see why there isn't exactly a queue for him. 

A lot of clubs may not be that interested in trying to match or get in a bidding war with Man City either. 

4 minutes ago, woznotwos said:

Really cannot believe there's not a cluster of clubs after his services and that there never really has been. Its perplexing .  

Or maybe some FT posters see what they want to see and not what's actually out there.

I think the deafening sound of non-interest by teams throughout Europe is evidence of that.

19 minutes ago, FIF said:

Or maybe some FT posters see what they want to see and not what's actually out there.

I think the deafening sound of non-interest by teams throughout Europe is evidence of that.

There is probably less than 6-7 clubs outside of the premier league that can afford to pay 75M for a player...You can say what you want about his attitude, yeah he's not perfect, yeah he's thrown his toys out of the pram a number of times but to doubt his ability is stupid and delusional, Man city could sign anyone they want yet they have tried to sign him 2 windows in a row. 

30 minutes ago, mikey54 said:

105 pages on and I can’t remember having seen anything but speculative press and media crap.

Nothing from either club or Mahrez himself.

His cheeks are puffing out a bit so I expect the dummy to be ejected any time soon ...    :)

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

We are talking about the Zaha that plays for Palace right?

Appearances 143
Goals 22
Assists

Yeh the one with 9 goals and 3 assists in the Prem last season.

Same one Spurs are trying to sign. 

The one valued at over £50m 

Better than Mahrez? nope, but bang average to me is a player like James McArthur or even our very own Andy King. 

Certainly not a player with 9 goals, 3 assists and a genuine game changer, that all Premier League defences struggle to deal with. 

3 hours ago, Gerard said:

I love Mahrez, I'm sure some of his detractors on here would moan about Messi if he played for us. The season when we won the title he was probably the third best player in the world that season behind the obvious two. 

He needs to leave though both for his sake and Leicester's, our time together was beautiful but it's now over. If the difference in valuation between the two clubs is £10m or under then it will get done eventually. Either Mahrez will have to give up his "loyalty bonus" or signing on fee or both clubs are just going to have to suck it up and pay/receive a few million more than they would like. I don't think anyone walks away from a deal this big over a few million quid. I wouldn't be surprised if it's more of a battle of wills now than about the money. 

I don't agree that he needs to leave.  I imagine that part of his frustration has been playing within a team where he has to have defensive duties and where so often he gets the ball without options to help him.  The prospects for next season are very different if our new signings step up to the mark.  An attacking RB to give him support and (probably) reduce his defensive duties, both that same RB and Maddison to give promise of better service and support, and a better defence so that Mahrez & Vardy don't have to look back and see our defence giving away stupid goals ( which must be demotivating). Add to that the realistic expectation that we will not be flirting with relegation again but will be challenging for European places.  There are genuine reasons for him to be enthusiastic about staying with us.

Another opinion trotted out on here (not by Gerard) is that Mahrez is only worth what suitors are willing to pay.  This would be true if we were trying to get rid of him, but not in the current situation where we don't want to sell.  He is worth what we are prepared to accept for him.  The ball is in our court as he is under contract.  I accept the argument that it is not a good idea to keep an unhappy player, but that is the prerogative of our owners to decide. It is not beyond the bounds of possibility that they could bring him round to the idea of staying by recruiting well (we have started well in that) and by offering him an improved contract.  If this didn't work then he can be demoted if he had a strop, which would be an unhappy situation but possibly within the owners' gift given their riches, and it might shock him into a reality check and change his mentality for the better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FIF said:

FIF, we get it.  Most of us on here are conflicted about Mahrez.  His strike in February brought me (like many) to the “out” side.  But my feeling that the best resolution for the club is to sell him, does not discolor my appreciation for what I have watched for four years, backed by an ocean of statistics and popular opinion.

You write intelligent prose, you can frame a good argument, and you truly support our club.  But your every football related thought appears to short-circuit to Mahrez.  How many unrelated threads have you inserted a Mahrez tirade into? 

It’s not for me to tell you what to post (nor to speak for the forum), but I do believe your “Mahrez is crap” crusade has become quixotic and costs you respect here.  (Which may not be your concern TBF.)

Assuming he does go to Oil City, we’ll all get a new perspective on Riyad’s quality.  But insofar as I will be paying attention, it will be to enjoy a club playing world-class entertainment football -- not because I have an ax to grind.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, deep blue said:

I don't agree that he needs to leave.  I imagine that part of his frustration has been playing within a team where he has to have defensive duties and where so often he gets the ball without options to help him.  The prospects for next season are very different if our new signings step up to the mark.  An attacking RB to give him support and (probably) reduce his defensive duties, both that same RB and Maddison to give promise of better service and support, and a better defence so that Mahrez & Vardy don't have to look back and see our defence giving away stupid goals ( which must be demotivating). Add to that the realistic expectation that we will not be flirting with relegation again but will be challenging for European places.  There are genuine reasons for him to be enthusiastic about staying with us.

Another opinion trotted out on here (not by Gerard) is that Mahrez is only worth what suitors are willing to pay.  This would be true if we were trying to get rid of him, but not in the current situation where we don't want to sell.  He is worth what we are prepared to accept for him.  The ball is in our court as he is under contract.  I accept the argument that it is not a good idea to keep an unhappy player, but that is the prerogative of our owners to decide. It is not beyond the bounds of possibility that they could bring him round to the idea of staying by recruiting well (we have started well in that) and by offering him an improved contract.  If this didn't work then he can be demoted if he had a strop, which would be an unhappy situation but possibly within the owners' gift given their riches, and it might shock him into a reality check and change his mentality for the better.

He may not need to, but he definitely wants to and we can't blame him for wanting to move to the Premier League Champions and a team that should dominate the League for a while, on top of make a real push in the Champions League. It is a no brainer really for Mahrez. It would be a huge step up for him and a great move. 

Staying here with less defensive duties and pushing for a Europa League place will be of no interest to him now. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, deep blue said:

This is certainly true but he also wants to win titles, play the Champions League and that's exactly where we fall short at the moment. I have no doubt that we will aim for a regular european spot (Europa league most probably) in the future but I don't think that it will happen before 2 or 3 seasons at least, if we maintain a certain level of performances and keep on recruiting smartly that is.

It is not that simple in my opinion. The player is dead set to leave and certainly don't want to play for us anymore. He feels that he's done his part here and that we are shifting the goal posts at every transfer window.

It doesn't matter if he's right or wrong (he's wrong), I'm firmly convinced that we'll face a major crisis in the dressing room if we keep playing asking for a price no one will actually pay. It will reflect badly on us and any player wanting to come here will think twice about it or insist on having a release clause in their contract. 

Our team is shaping up nicely and we do not need that. 

I enjoyed watching him play but I'm quite fed up with this circus. Take the 70M or so, and let's move on.

Edited by That_Dude
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lineker's Left Foot said:

Me too.  Of course will miss him and what an honour to watch; but finally we can plan for life without Mahrez 

Such a great position we are in too for life without him, I feel confident that with 3 more signings we’ll be fully ready to assault the top 6, thanks to Rudkin and Puel, they’ve really done an excellent job so far this window. Oh and top and co for all their lovely money :) 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SheppyFox said:

Such a great position we are in too for life without him, I feel confident that with 3 more signings we’ll be fully ready to assault the top 6, thanks to Rudkin and Puel, they’ve really done an excellent job so far this window. Oh and top and co for all their lovely money :) 

Sheppy ready to declare that he is sated and City are locked and loaded ...

After only 3 more signings that is ...  lol

CandyStore.JPG.42c5ae50f60845ebde7d1003ef6f90ce.JPG

• Like 1