Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
woznotwos

Mahrez to Man City shock

On 20/06/2018 at 12:30, The Doctor said:

You can't seriously claim that you didn't unsettle him though. Yeah he wanted to move, but he was still knuckling down and playing well, playing for the move until you came in and took the Michael.

Do we actually know exactly when City first declared their interest in Mahrez though? If it was actually the day before the window shut then obviously that's a problem but if it was more like mid-January then I'm not sure it's any less right or wrong than any other transfer. 

6 minutes ago, MCFC said:

Do we actually know exactly when City first declared their interest in Mahrez though? If it was actually the day before the window shut then obviously that's a problem but if it was more like mid-January then I'm not sure it's any less right or wrong than any other transfer. 

Declaring interest is a bit different to actually bidding though. Waiting until the day before the deadline to submit your opening bid isn't great.

6 minutes ago, MCFC said:

It was around the time we were winning back to back games and then didn’t win for about 10.

33 minutes ago, happy85 said:

Manchester City are very close to signing Riyad Mahrez from Leicester in a deal that should be worth around €75m (£65.7m). [Le Buteur]

How reliable are Le Buteur?

Edited by fox_favourite

1 hour ago, SheppyFox said:

Elyounoussi, Kvirkvelia, Plattenhardt please Mr Rudkin :) 

Assuming you’re being serious -- how much concern would you have about replacing at least half of the starting outfield players, especially in a World Cup year when the full squad may not be assembled until mid July?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SheppyFox said:

Such a great position we are in too for life without him, I feel confident that with 3 more signings we’ll be fully ready to assault the top 6, thanks to Rudkin and Puel, they’ve really done an excellent job so far this window. Oh and top and co for all their lovely money :) 

Steady of Sheps with those thanks - ’one swallow don’t make a summer’ and all that

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MCFC said:

57 minutes ago, Beechey said:

Declaring interest is a bit different to actually bidding though. Waiting until the day before the deadline to submit your opening bid isn't great.

IIRC the news first broke that Man City wanted Mahrez about 48 hours before the January window closed. At no point did Man City make an actual bid but they did enquire. Leicester wanted £95m but dropped it to £80m when Mahrez had a mardy on.

Guardiola also pleaded poverty saying Man City couldn't afford to pay such figures. lol

5 minutes ago, Gerard said:

IIRC the news first broke that Man City wanted Mahrez about 48 hours before the January window closed. At no point did Man City make an actual bid but they did enquire. Leicester wanted £95m but dropped it to £80m when Mahrez had a mardy on.

Guardiola also pleaded poverty saying Man City couldn't afford to pay such figures. lol

Shortly after dropping £60m on Laporte as well right?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, woznotwos said:

Really cannot believe there's not a cluster of clubs after his services and that there never really has been. Its perplexing .  

I think the deal between man city and us is done for all intensive purposes  and no point for other teams to show interest. This also makes sense with three way the club is spending without any sales yet. 

Just now, Beechey said:

Shortly after dropping £60m on Laporte as well right?

Correct or £57m to be exact IIRC. :thumbup:

That was his release clause from Athletic Bilbao and they stumped it up without drama for the 24 year old uncapped Frenchman who wasn't picked for the France squad.

Spending £75m for a Balon d'Or 7th placed finish and ex PFA POTY who has more goals and assists than anyone in the Premier League over the last three years is a pisstake apparently. :ermm:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, That_Dude said:

This is certainly true but he also wants to win titles, play the Champions League and that's exactly where we fall short at the moment. I have no doubt that we will aim for a regular european spot (Europa league most probably) in the future but I don't think that it will happen before 2 or 3 seasons at least, if we maintain a certain level of performances and keep on recruiting smartly that is.

It is not that simple in my opinion. The player is dead set to leave and certainly don't want to play for us anymore. He feels that he's done his part here and that we are shifting the goal posts at every transfer window.

It doesn't matter if he's right or wrong (he's wrong), I'm firmly convinced that we'll face a major crisis in the dressing room. If we keep playing asking for a price not one will actually pay. It will reflect badly on us and any player wanting to come here will think twice about it or will insist about having a release clause in their contract. 

Our team is shaping up nicely and we do not need that. 

I enjoyed watching him play but I'm quite fed up with this circus. Take the 70M or so and let's move on.

Just 2 minor points of difference.  With the squad we're assembling I'd not put it beyond us to aim for Champs League (OK, maybe optimistic, but it's certainly the owners' ambition). Secondly, there'd be no dressing room problem if Mahrez were relegated from the squad;  this couldn't carry on indefinitely, but it might bring his head round to reality and apply himself.  He is on a contract, after all, which he was very willing to sign.

However, I accept that almost certainly he's gone so we have to move on.

Changing the subject, what could have been had we had a transfer window 2 years ago like this one is shaping out, especially if we'd been able to persuade Kante to stay for another year.  He was sensational today for France.

28 minutes ago, deep blue said:

Just 2 minor points of difference.  With the squad we're assembling I'd not put it beyond us to aim for Champs League (OK, maybe optimistic, but it's certainly the owners' ambition). Secondly, there'd be no dressing room problem if Mahrez were relegated from the squad;  this couldn't carry on indefinitely, but it might bring his head round to reality and apply himself.  He is on a contract, after all, which he was very willing to sign.

However, I accept that almost certainly he's gone so we have to move on.

Changing the subject, what could have been had we had a transfer window 2 years ago like this one is shaping out, especially if we'd been able to persuade Kante to stay for another year.  He was sensational today for France.

We have signed a centre back from a relegated team, a promising untested 21 year old and a rightback who is being keep out of Portugal team by Cedric...., we are more than likely selling one of our best players and you think we could challenge for the Champions League?

Decent signings, but even 6th or 7th would be a great achievement, unless we bring in a couple of top quality players with the Mahrez money. 

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 1

If he's going I want it done ASAP so we can reorganise.

If he's staying I want us to refuse all offers now and tell him ASAP so he gets over it by August.

Edited by Guest

7 hours ago, turtmcfly said:

Can you point out which bit of what he wrote is wrong based on current market conditions? He's made three points AFAICS;

He's worth what a club will buy him for

No one has tabled a bid anywhere near £90M

Roma have made a bid (of up to £40m)

The latter two seem to be points of fact, which have nothing to do with 'market conditions'. 

The first point pretty much describes market conditions.

Current market conditions would suggest a player who's had the most goals and assists in the past 3 seasons should be going for a premium fee, whilst other transfers (as I've previously mentioned) suggests the fee should be north of £75m considering sales such as Coutinho, Van Dijk, Fred etc.

I can expect you guys don't think he's worth £90m, that's your opinion. But our owners hopefully aren't as stupid and realise these are mad times we live in and they needn't be mugged off.

20 minutes ago, toddybad said:

If he's going I want it done ASAP so we can reorganise.

If he's staying I want us to refuse all offers now and tell him ASAP so he gets over it by  ...  Christmas ...    if we’re lucky !

Sorted.

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

Correct or £57m to be exact IIRC. :thumbup:

That was his release clause from Athletic Bilbao and they stumped it up without drama for the 24 year old uncapped Frenchman who wasn't picked for the France squad.

Spending £75m for a Balon d'Or 7th placed finish and ex PFA POTY who has more goals and assists than anyone in the Premier League over the last three years is a pisstake apparently. :ermm:

This is what is so confusing. 

Why don't they just pay us the fcking money and have this whole sorry saga over? 

He wants to go, £75m is reasonable given recent transfers and no-one will think they are getting mugged off for it, especially after the fact when he is tearing it up in a team full of match winners where he'll have more freedom.

IMO there is no way this would be happening if Mahrez was playing for a "big club". I don't want him to be here sulking but they are trying to bully us. Fvck em.

• Like 1