Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
woznotwos

Mahrez to Man City shock

1 hour ago, deep blue said:

Just 2 minor points of difference.  With the squad we're assembling I'd not put it beyond us to aim for Champs League (OK, maybe optimistic, but it's certainly the owners' ambition). Secondly, there'd be no dressing room problem if Mahrez were relegated from the squad;  this couldn't carry on indefinitely, but it might bring his head round to reality and apply himself.  He is on a contract, after all, which he was very willing to sign.

However, I accept that almost certainly he's gone so we have to move on.

Changing the subject, what could have been had we had a transfer window 2 years ago like this one is shaping out, especially if we'd been able to persuade Kante to stay for another year.  He was sensational today for France.

That's bad business on every level. We'd get a demotivated player who'll never perform at his highest level whilst paying his full wages. No one outside would be mad at him since they consider us to be the bad guys who priced him out of a move. We'll sell him then for less than we would get now. We must get rid this summer.

I highly doubt that Kante would have stayed. Even with a transfer of this quality. He knew it was a one off and Chelsea are by all means a much better prospect in the long term. 

3 hours ago, happy85 said:

Manchester City are very close to signing Riyad Mahrez from Leicester in a deal that should be worth around €75m (£65.7m). [Le Buteur]

Crikey, I can't get that exchange rate at the post office when I'm buying my Euros.

Mind you I am buying a tad less than $75m

3 hours ago, MCFC said:

Do we actually know exactly when City first declared their interest in Mahrez though? If it was actually the day before the window shut then obviously that's a problem but if it was more like mid-January then I'm not sure it's any less right or wrong than any other transfer. 

It was immediately after the final whistle when we lost 2-0 at King Power with Pep cuddling Riyad as he left the field  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, deep blue said:

Just 2 minor points of difference.  With the squad we're assembling I'd not put it beyond us to aim for Champs League (OK, maybe optimistic, but it's certainly the owners' ambition). Secondly, there'd be no dressing room problem if Mahrez were relegated from the squad;  this couldn't carry on indefinitely, but it might bring his head round to reality and apply himself.  He is on a contract, after all, which he was very willing to sign.

However, I accept that almost certainly he's gone so we have to move on.

Changing the subject, what could have been had we had a transfer window 2 years ago like this one is shaping out, especially if we'd been able to persuade Kante to stay for another year.  He was sensational today for France.

Kante or no Kante we would still have hit the skids.

The foundations that made the club great had been hacked away that summer.

4 hours ago, happy85 said:

Manchester City are very close to signing Riyad Mahrez from Leicester in a deal that should be worth around €75m (£65.7m). [Le Buteur]

£65m maybe a compromise upfront figure. Hopefully still with add-ons! 

Just want this done now. 

24 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

£65m maybe a compromise upfront figure. Hopefully still with add-ons! 

Just want this done now. 

I think everyone does including both clubs and Mahrez himself.

I'm pretty sure it will get done as Man City really want him and he would be toxic if he started pre season training here. You just wish we could lock all concerned parties in a room and they couldn't come out until it was all done. Some pride is going to have to be swallowed by everyone to get this done as it seems a battle of wills at the moment but if everyone wants it and the money being argued about is no more than £10m then it will surely happen.

I'm at peace with Mahrez going now as our road has come to and end with him. Also only Higuain will have gone for more money ever for someone of Mahrez's age, there's a lot to be said for selling players when they hit their peak value and that's why I was a strong advocate for selling Drinkwater.

Let him go and we move on.

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I think everyone does including both clubs and Mahrez himself.

I'm pretty sure it will get done as Man City really want him and he would be toxic if he started pre season training here. You just wish we could lock all concerned parties in a room and they couldn't come out until it was all done. Some pride is going to have to be swallowed by everyone to get this done as it seems a battle of wills at the moment but if everyone wants it and the money being argued about is no more than £10m then it will surely happen.

I'm at peace with Mahrez going now as our road has come to and end with him. Also only Higuain will have gone for more money ever for someone of Mahrez's age, there's a lot to be said for selling players when they hit their peak value and that's why I was a strong advocate for selling Drinkwater.

Let him go and we move on.

Just want rid of the soft cvnt now

anyone who doesn’t want to play for Leicester can just fvck off

On 20/06/2018 at 22:31, StevieB said:

That's target 1/2 done 

Screenshot_20180620-223013.png

Apparently that's fake news

Both deals have been equally stuck for about 2 months, for the exact same reason. 15m difference in valuations, an attempt to make it up with a plus player deal, which is no longer of interest. Man City don't want to be seen any more as a free spending club, which is understandable as they can attract the best players now without necessarily overspending. But we don't want to be seen as a club selling below market value. A standoff - they're not desperate to buy and we're not desperate to sell. Napoli aren't massively desperate either by the looks of things. All parties are that stubborn, I wouldn't be so sure of any party eventually giving in.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

An unhappy player with a shit attitude? Really? 

Yeah let's just roll over and let them tickle our tummies. 

Pay his price he goes it's as simple as that, otherwise clubs can get to fvck. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, weller54 said:

This is longer drawn out than Suzie and Vicente's engagement!! 

This was only protracted due to Suzie digging her high heels in with Rudkin over her Image Rights.  Playboy were offering  more than the Mercury and The Sun.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Ashley said:

Riyad’s remaining contract is worth 10 million plus loyalty bonus. at some point, our valuation being too high will mean that it’s financially sensible for him to buy himself out of it (even after taxes).  Contrast to coutinho who still had around five years left on his new contract worth about 9 mill per year. 

You cant compare apples and oranges, even when they both seem to be apples. Without more than one club willing to pay 60m+, his salary and contract length becomes relevant. The deal should get done and we will mostly feel we haven’t got fair value - the club know what they can get and are just trying to squeeze whatever they can out of Man City. 

Btw, we really need to do something with wilf. If he doesn’t sign an improved deal after the World Cup then I suspect the writing is on the wall re his future.

EDIT: someone will let me know if I have this wrong on the basis that three years needs to have elapsed from when the contract was originally signed. I’m not sure either way now! 

Edited by st albans fox

If I was selling my house say for £100k there’s no way I would sell to someone that was offering £75k.

or if I went to buy a new car that had £10k in the window I don’t think the dealership would accept £7500

I for 1 am happy the we ain’t selling him cheaply. If he stays he stays, if he’s not playing to a high standard let him play with the u23’s. It’s not like we are gonna take a loss on him if he runs his contract out as we have had our money’s worth out of him compared to what we paid for him. We ain’t gonna take a financial loss on him as nobody has bid what we believe he is worth. 

Is there not any law against malicious bidding if you're not going to actually bother getting anywhere near someone's valuation? 

I mean what's really the difference between what City are doing and tapping up? 

They've TECHNICALLY bid but its absolute nonsense they know we aren't going to accept that unsettles the player. They're obviously hoping he sulks and we're forced to sell him cheap but on what level is that actually ethical? 

I can take the "just business" argument when you're not messing around with people's lives but ffs. 

7 hours ago, Stevosevic said:

I would absolutely love it if we kept Mahrez lol

Is there anything to suggest he's changed his mind and wants to stay?

Has he seen our incoming signings and thought to himself maybe we're onto something good here?

Maybe he's realised the grass may not be greener and he's onto a good thing here and might not be guaranteed a start at Man City?

I dunno. But if he's had a change of heart and decides to 100% commit his future to us then would we all forgive him?

He's pissed me off big time with his antics and I was all set for him to leave for the right money, but I still think we're a better team with a happy and committed Mahrez in it..

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Ashley said:

No I understand that side of things Ash and totally agree, however there does come a point where potentially he will disrupt the team spirit? Not that we should sell him at any price but maybe meet in the middle somewhere?

11 minutes ago, Blue fox LE2 said:

If I was selling my house say for £100k there’s no way I would sell to someone that was offering £75k.

or if I went to buy a new car that had £10k in the window I don’t think the dealership would accept £7500

I for 1 am happy the we ain’t selling him cheaply. If he stays he stays, if he’s not playing to a high standard let him play with the u23’s. It’s not like we are gonna take a loss on him if he runs his contract out as we have had our money’s worth out of him compared to what we paid for him. We ain’t gonna take a financial loss on him as nobody has bid what we believe he is worth. 

How about if you knew you had to give me the house for nothing in two years time?

• Like 2