Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
woznotwos

Mahrez to Man City shock

2 hours ago, Gerard said:

We've already lost Mahrez whether it be to Man City or his willingness to perform for the club. We can't afford not to sell him now, we're just haggling on price. Only four players have gone for £100m in the history of the game, two of them were teenagers and the other two were Neymar and Coutinho.

There isn't a massive scramble for Mahrez, as of today it's only Man City so we can't afford to sit tight and demand our price. He needs to be sold and I'd imagine that realisation has already hit us and we're resigned to selling him but still trying to squeeze as much money as possible. We're not in a position to play hardball.

Mahrez was, and still is better than Coutinho. 

He's under contract for two more seasons so yes, in fact, we are. Next summer might be different if Mahrez remains a Leicester player but we hold all the cards currently. Although I understand what you are saying with regards to Mahrez not wanting to play for us, but if we don't end up selling for one reason or another and Mahrez decides to be childish again then the only person who will be hurt by his actions is himself. Literally won't affect the club at all because he'd just get dropped out the first team squad. He's got to be careful he doesn't self destruct here because LCFC are firmly in the driving seat. 

Hopefully the owners DO play hardball just like a big club is supposed to. 

5 minutes ago, 4everfox said:

Mahrez was, and still is better than Coutinho. 

He's under contract for two more seasons so yes, in fact, we are. Next summer might be different if Mahrez remains a Leicester player but we hold all the cards currently. Although I understand what you are saying with regards to Mahrez not wanting to play for us, but if we don't end up selling for one reason or another and Mahrez decides to be childish again then the only person who will be hurt by his actions is himself. Literally won't affect the club at all because he'd just get dropped out the first team squad. He's got to be careful he doesn't self destruct here because LCFC are firmly in the driving seat. 

Hopefully the owners DO play hardball just like a big club is supposed to. 

This doesn't make sense to me.

In terms of affect there are no positives I can see as regards him not playing for the first team and/or him 'self-destructing'. There's a clear negative ones; we'd still be paying him a wage, and his value would be adversely affected. Indeed, the latter implies his value plummeting.

10 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

This doesn't make sense to me.

In terms of affect there are no positives I can see as regards him not playing for the first team and/or him 'self-destructing'. There's a clear negative ones; we'd still be paying him a wage, and his value would be adversely affected. Indeed, the latter implies his value plummeting.

He's got no choice but to respect the clubs wishes. If he plays up then the only clubs that will be interested in him next summer will be lesser clubs than Leicester and by then he will realise what a fool he has been, but it will be too late as he will have already committed career suicide. I personally don't care about his value plummeting if it means we start to get taken seriously, and we only have to sell him for 400 grand to break even anyway.

I'm more concerned with the club making a statement that our players cannot be bought for cheap then I am with the club making a quick sale to pocket 65 million (at least 30 million below market value that is). 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 4everfox said:

He's got no choice but to respect the clubs wishes. If he plays up then the only clubs that will be interested in him next summer will be lesser clubs than Leicester and by then he will realise what a fool he has been, but it will be too late as he will have already committed career suicide. I personally don't care about his value plummeting if it means we start to get taken seriously, and we only have to sell him for 400 grand to break even anyway.

I'm more concerned with the club making a statement that our players cannot be bought for cheap then I am with the club making a quick sale to pocket 65 million (at least 30 million below market value that is). 

Taking a £64.6million (plus wages) hit would certainly make a statement.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, 4everfox said:

Love this post and especially the fan who upvoted it.

Forward thinking.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, 4everfox said:

Nice of you to put principles over cash when it's not your £65m you're going to flush down the toilet.

16 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Nice of you to put principles over cash when it's not your £65m you're going to flush down the toilet.

We're not exactly short of cash anyway, no need to blow our load over 65 million when the player in question is worth a lot more than that in todays market. You don't see the other big clubs selling their best players for below market value.

It would be an outrage to sell a PFA Player of the Year winner for less than what Van Dijk for. 

39 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

Taking a £64.6million (plus wages) hit would certainly make a statement.

Sorry, how dare a Leicester fan expect to sell our best player for the going rate in the current market. How dare I. 

On 07/06/2018 at 21:04, wardyfox86 said:

You're missing my point, nobody beforehand could have predicted Kante, Mahrez and Vardy becoming world class.

I was only using those players as an example, but it only takes 3 or 4 of them to come good and we could have a few of the bigger teams looking over their shoulder. 

Consider your mindset in summer 2015, would you have been more, or less confident of us challenging top 6 than now?

Edit: I'm not saying we SHOULD be challenging, it's just for arguments sake. 

I knew mahrez was special when we were still in the championship.

vardy for sure had quality I seen it but not until the end of the great escape season I considered him top tier quality (before title win tho)

kante was evidently top draw way before we won the title.

It just took us to win the title before people outside of our community noticed it.

I also considered fuchs top tier as well but age has caught up with him, he has regressed.

12 minutes ago, 4everfox said:

We're not exactly short of cash anyway, no need to blow our load over 65 million when the player in question is worth a lot more than that in todays market. You don't see the other big clubs selling their best players for below market value.

It would be an outrage to sell a PFA Player of the Year winner for less than what Van Dijk for. 

£65m is probably what we can spend net over the next three years to break even, it's huge money that we can't afford to throw away.

Just now, Gerard said:

£65m is probably what we can spend net over the next three years to break even, it's huge money that we can't afford to throw away.

Yeah but 65 million is not what Mahrez is worth. If he goes for that, they've had our pants down. 

On 19/06/2018 at 14:06, Markyblue said:

I feel that it's getting to the point now where for the benefit of everyone he needs to go. If we get a few million less that will be balanced by knowing where we stand squad wise hanging on for more money might hurt us in the long run.dont care if pep gets a bargain we need this to end and fast.

That sends a message tho, that all a player needs to do is moan and we will sell just in case it harms squad morale.  A very dangerous message to send.

Any sale has to be a good business and management decision, in the current market 60 million in my own view is too low of a value for mahrez.  Also his value to our club is potentially worth 100s of millions over the course of the remainer of his contract, when he hasnt played we have had relegation form, how much do you value not getting relegated? put a figure on it.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

And if we do as you suggest and chuck away the best part of 70 million quid, we've pulled our own pants down, sat on a rusty spike and shouted 'that'll ****ing show you'.

Sorry but big clubs don't sell their best player for less than what they're worth, and if that's what we aspire to be (which I hope we do) then we need to stick to our guns and demand a figure which is fair for this club in comparison to what the big clubs sell for. Can't agree with you or this small time mentality that plagues this football club. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, 4everfox said:

Sorry but big clubs don't sell their best player for less than what they're worth, and if that's what we aspire to be (which I hope we do) then we need to stick to our guns and demand a figure which is fair for this club in comparison to what the big clubs sell for. Can't agree with you or this small time mentality that plagues this football club. 

your house is only worth what someone will pay for it.  show me the clubs queuing up to pay 60m+ for riyad ????

Just now, st albans fox said:

your house is only worth what someone will pay for it.  show me the clubs queuing up to pay 60m+ for riyad ????

I'm not trying to sell my house though and as far as I remember, the club have never actively tried to sell Mahrez either. He's clearly not for sale and if you wanted to buy my house, I can assure you it would cost well above its market value since I have no desire to sell.

5 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Exactly. Spot on. There’s no point comparing Van Dyke with Mahrez. Who’s to say Liverpool got ripped off, and Man City got it about right?

2 hours ago, 4everfox said:

Actually, I am.....

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

It's not though is it. If your house was worth a million quid but someone was only willing to pay 500 grand for it, it would still be worth a million quid, whether you accepted that 500 grand is another argument. Besides, Leicester value Mahrez at £75 million (or more like £90 million), which is part of the assets of the club, add all the assets up and that's what the club is worth. If we sold him for £65 million, the club is worth £10 million quid less than it was than before we sold him, and the shareholders and owners ain't going to want to see that on the books, are they.  

13 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

It's not though is it. If your house was worth a million quid but someone was only willing to pay 500 grand for it, it would still be worth a million quid, whether you accepted that 500 grand is another argument. Besides, Leicester value Mahrez at £75 million (or more like £90 million), which is part of the assets of the club, add all the assets up and that's what the club is worth. If we sold him for £65 million, the club is worth £10 million quid less than it was than before we sold him, and the shareholders and owners ain't going to want to see that on the books, are they.  

This is simply not correct. Players (assets as you rightly call them) are valued by offers and the clubs valuations. Houses are valued by independent bodies, and are subject to market conditions. 

Just now, FoxinNotts said:

This is simply not correct. Players (assets as you rightly call them) are valued by offers and the clubs valuations. Houses are valued by independent bodies, and are subject to market conditions. 

We obviously value Mahrez at £75+ million, or we would have sold him for what man city have offered, and if your house has been valued at £1 million quid but someone put an offer in for 500 grand, Is it worth a £1million or £500 grand? How is this not correct.

1 minute ago, yorkie1999 said:

We obviously value Mahrez at £75+ million, or we would have sold him for what man city have offered, and if your house has been valued at £1 million quid but someone put an offer in for 500 grand, Is it worth a £1million or £500 grand? How is this not correct.

Sorry, I was being abit harsh and probably  not reading things thoroughly enough. 

The point I guess I was making is that the word “worth” is subjective in the case of a footballer, as guidance on the price is not given by a third party, as it is on a house.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 4everfox said:

I'm not trying to sell my house though and as far as I remember, the club have never actively tried to sell Mahrez either. He's clearly not for sale and if you wanted to buy my house, I can assure you it would cost well above its market value since I have no desire to sell.

Mate, your house is currently skulking around St. Margaret's Bus Station with its patio doors wide open and a sign saying 'bum the dog for free' on the front door.

• Haha 2