Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Larry_LCFC

**New** Puel In or Out - A simple Poll Mk 2

Puel In or Out? MK2  

597 members have voted

1. 1. Puel In or Out?

• In
    • Out

31 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

the background noises seem to indicate that the owners are likely to get rid at the end of the season.  

two things

1) they had better have someone lined up who will play football rather than hoofball or I wont be renewing my ST's at the existing level

2) some of the players may already know this and their performances have dropped off as a consequence 

When Puel is asking for more time, patience even he must suspect with his inside knowledge his time maybe up. The owners have tasted glory by winning the Premier League and its only natural they would like another crack, or at least get into European contention, top six finish, not a mid table side.

To win just 2 times out of the last 10 games against teams mostly from the lower end of the table isn't good enough. He obviously a very competent manager, but lacks those inspirational ideas and a magnet for the best talent available. The replacement choice is very limited, but I suspect our owners have already lined up a replacement, and that could be as usual a BIG surprise ! Benitez ???

I voted in both times but we have four games left.  We always lose to Arsenal and we have to play Spurs away.  Then we have two games against teams still playing for survival.  It is entirely possible that we don't win again this season leaving him with 4 wins from 21 games.  I fear for him if this is the case.

The only problem I have with the xG/chances created argument is that Southampton had the same issue last season - creating tons of chances but not being able to finish them. (I haven't looked it up but Puel quoted this when defending his tenure there). As someone mentioned earlier this may be partly due to the situations in game when these xGs are created - going for broke chasing an equaliser, or opposition having 10 men in their box by the time we get there. Southampton hasn't exactly regressed to the mean this season that you would expect if basing things on their last season's xG.

14 minutes ago, brucey said:

The only problem I have with the xG/chances created argument is that Southampton had the same issue last season - creating tons of chances but not being able to finish them. (I haven't looked it up but Puel quoted this when defending his tenure there). As someone mentioned earlier this may be partly due to the situations in game when these xGs are created - going for broke chasing an equaliser, or opposition having 10 men in their box by the time we get there. Southampton hasn't exactly regressed to the mean this season that you would expect if basing things on their last season's xG.

Yeah, got rid of the manager that had them creating all those chances didnt they :ph34r:

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Yeah, got rid of the manager that had them creating all those chances didnt they :ph34r:

People had been talking about our xG over the last few seasons which were under different managers too. I wonder how much it is influenced by player quality vs manager tactics.

1 hour ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Vardy scores more of his chances than Salah

If only we passed forwards more often instead of 100 passes in front of our own keeper, then he'd be on even more this season

45 minutes ago, cc_star said:

Vardy scores more of his chances than Salah

If only we passed forwards more often instead of 100 passes in front of our own keeper, then he'd be on even more this season

If a team is completely sat off you, as many have been for us recently, "passing forwards more" isn't as easy as it sounds. You have to work the spaces, pass around and drag players out of position to create room for the attacking players to move in to, unfortunately if you watch our front 3 (not including the second striker who often acts as a midfielder) then you will see many of them are static the vast majority of the time, so there is nowhere to pass to. The alternative is the hoofball we played under latter Ranieri and Shakespeare.

8 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

I've stated before that I do see the use of stats or certain indicators when it comes to judging the ability of individual qualities.

Why you start to mix the benefit of physical exercise and special training with the use of stats, I don't know. Training measures have an immediate effect on the players' fitness, if applied correctly.

The recent discussion on here circled/circles around the rise of new statistical gimmicks, such as "Expected Goals" and "Expected Goals Against", which I hadn't heard of up until this season (or the season before). I don't believe the hype surrounding it and stand firm on my point of view that they are merely a distraction and by no means indicative of how well a team will perform or has performed.

Analyzing your potential to score doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Either you score, or you don't.

From my perspective, we're entering a stage where we are overanalyzing football, and I don't believe the sport or spectator will profit from it.

I mix them not because they're functionally similar but because they're all innovations that are now commonplace in the game, as I expect xG will be. I don't think anybody had heard of it up until very recently because it's a very new metric and is likely always being tweaked for improvements. In reality, it's the good old-fashioned "we did more than enough to win that game" or "how on earth have we hung on for a result there?", except backed up by quantitative analysis. The general consensus, for example, is that we dominated away at Chelsea and should have emerged with more than a 0-0, whereas in the 2-0 win at Brighton we came up against pretty wasteful opposition and were flattered by the result a little - all of which is backed up by the xG for those games.

Again, nobody is claiming that it's a definitive measurement of a team's performance, just as things like possession and shots on target aren't. But they are a good indicator of chance creation/conversion. Given that creating and scoring goals is the entire objective of football, I don't understand what your problem is with trying to measure that. Analysing your potential to score quite obviously does matter, because I'd suggest that there probably is a link somewhere between your potential to score and potential to win. It's common sense for that type of analysis to be of interest to clubs, managers and staff, regardless of whether or not it's a particularly engaging thing for supporters to look at.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, st albans fox said:

the background noises seem to indicate that the owners are likely to get rid at the end of the season.  

two things

1) they had better have someone lined up who will play football rather than hoofball or I wont be renewing my ST's at the existing level

2) some of the players may already know this and their performances have dropped off as a consequence 

A hunch or are you ITK/heard (Chinese) whispers.

18 minutes ago, Matt said:

I’m not ITK on this - doesn’t help that I haven’t made the last two home games to get up to date on any ‘gossip’.

just going from what I’ve read from a few I trust plus nursey seems to have confirmed that puel’s publicity drive recently has come from him rather than the club. I thought it was the club trying to explain the long term plan but apparently not. 

would be a disappointment to me but I trust they will only do it if they have a bloody good option to bring in. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I’m not ITK on this - doesn’t help that I haven’t made the last two home games to get up to date on any ‘gossip’.

just going from what I’ve read from a few I trust plus nursey seems to have confirmed that puel’s publicity drive recently has come from him rather than the club. I thought it was the club trying to explain the long term plan but apparently not. 

would be a disappointment to me but I trust they will only do it if they have a bloody good option to bring in. 

Abrasive has confirmed it, I think its fair to say he is on his way out, but we won't announce it till the season has ended.

6 hours ago, murphy said:

I voted in both times but we have four games left.  We always lose to Arsenal and we have to play Spurs away.  Then we have two games against teams still playing for survival.  It is entirely possible that we don't win again this season leaving him with 4 wins from 21 games.  I fear for him if this is the case.

He's 100% gone in this case.

3 hours ago, Matt said:

My girlfriend is from Shanghai and she has whispered SFA about Puel being Toast.  So this could be just a hunch?

• Like 1

imo it is not so important whether the Foxes will be 7th, 8th or 12th in the end. For me it's important so see inspired and fast football which gives me the feeling that the players enjoy the system they play and are eager to go for the next goal. For months, I haven't felt that any more. Regrettably, Monsieur Puel's system is all but appealing since the draw against Chelsea. I have the feeling that most of the players have lost their joy playing football. I ask myself why Southampton sacked Monsieur Puel after only one season. The team finished eighth in 2016/2017. And they won only 1 out of the last 8 games. And in the back round table they were only on position 13. It went steadily downhill. Exactly the same has happened under Puel's rule in Leicester since February. Therefore, imo the owners should not entrust him millions of pounds to create a team for the new season according to his personal liking. It would be a waste of money and bad for the club....No later than after the Palace match there will be again posts saying - Puel out

• Like 1

On 25/04/2018 at 18:37, st albans fox said:

You would hope they would have options but they never do! My worry is who they would bring in next time! 

Puels stats for 2nd season are quite good so maybe he’s just the opposite of Ranieri lol 

Edited by chapero82

2 minutes ago, chapero82 said:

You would hope they would have options but they never do! My worry is who they would bring in next time! 

Puels stars fir 2nd season are quite good so maybe he’s just the opposite of Ranieri lol 

stats don't count any more

seriously, if he's gone then I bloody hope its because they have someone better and not as a reaction to the last half dozen home results.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

stats don't count any more

seriously, if he's gone then I bloody hope its because they have someone better and not as a reaction to the last half dozen home results.

Only positive about them already decided (if true), they can start the search now and put out some feelers who might be available/interested, before the summer break. 

I'll be disappointed if the recruitment process eats well into the summer break, as we can't afford to waste time and the new guy needs to assess the squad and bring in his own players. I really hope it is someone who is reasonably familiar with the club and squad and the league and what's needed, as this summer is very important with a number of the old guard needing replacing! 

I must admit, I am more excited at the prospect of a change than I am if Puel was to stay. I actually voted for him to have more time, but would be nice to have a manager that I can make it through his interviews without nodding off! 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Only positive about them already decided (if true), they can start the search now and put out some feelers who might be available/interested, before the summer break. 

I'll be disappointed if the recruitment process eats well into the summer break, as we can't afford to waste time and the new guy needs to assess the squad and bring in his own players. I really hope it is someone who is reasonably familiar with the club and squad and the league and what's needed, as this summer is very important with a number of the old guard needing replacing! 

I must admit, I am more excited at the prospect of a change than I am if Puel was to stay. I actually voted for him to have more time, but would be nice to have a manager that I can make it through his interviews without nodding off! 

that can only be Appleton, Shakespeare, ranieri or pearson !  I would expect all of those to take us down next season.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

that can only be Appleton, Shakespeare, ranieri or pearson !  I would expect all of those to take us down next season.

I meant in the sense that they know the league and have maybe come up against us before and so have a decent understanding of our players and strengths/weaknesses etc. 

It's not a decider of success of course, I just think that this squad needs a massive overhaul this summer and we might benefit from someone who is more familiar with us as opposed to a foreign coach who has never worked in the Prem or came up against us. 

Maybe keeping Appleton in the new management team could help, but I do think we may have pandered to this squad for too long now, and we need a complete new management and backroom staff to really shake things up

Really thought we'd make the semi-final of the FA Cup and the EFL Cup (the former competition especially). Were quite unlucky in both, as the players seemed to care about trying to get as far as they can in them.

Since being knocked out of them, and with the league position situation now, the near-ending of the season seems laboured and the feeling that the players realise there is largely nothing to play for Europe-wise and haven't really appeared to have given their all in recent games.

Hence just feels under-whelming and also slightly let down.

Edited by Wymeswold fox
  • Like 1