Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
NorthfieldsFox

Surreal Experience seeing so many local born Liverpool fans in our city

Guest Markyblue
54 minutes ago, leicesterlad1989 said:

I think you are missing the point a bit @Markyblue I maybe speaking out of turn here but I think @Dr The Singh was merely implying that abuse from locals could have and quite clearly did in some cases put people off following their local team. Racism and attitudes were different in the 70's and 80's compared to how they are now, so yes this was a nationwide thing as you stated.

From a Leicester fan point of view, if local Asians were abused, it would be quite easy to go and support another team. If you were to pick another team then why not pick the best? As a 'glory fan' you are highly unlikely to attend many, if any games therefore you wouldn't see the abuse first hand at said club (Liverpool in this case).

However, I do believe were and still are more reasons for fans' to 'glory' support than just racism but it can't be denied that it was a factor in some cases.

I have not for one second said that back in the day there was not some racism at Leicester but what I am saying is even in the 80s there were Asian and black lads who were attending regular with white lads when the likes of Liverpool belive me had almost an entirely white support so they seem a strange bedfellow for Leicester Asians who had suffered abuse at city to support. What my point is that it's far more likely to be they fancied supporting a great team and not the poor one we were and the racism angle is a bit of a cop out for not supporting your local team.it has to be said as well there are now plenty of Asians who do support us and fair play to them.

15 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I reckon it might have been the same in many city centres in the U.K. tonight.

There were always a number of Liverpool fans in Leicestershire 35 years ago when I was a kid and the next generation are probably just following in their fathers footsteps.

Like Man Utd, Liverpool have a large fan base all across the country so my guess is what you saw in Leicester tonight isn't unique.

Yeah, when we were young Liverpool were the Man U of today.

I was born in 97 and right through school I knew more Liverpool ‘fans’ than Leicester. They weren’t even the best side about then. They would have most likely been too young to understand the gravity of Istanbul and it’s not as if they won a lot after that. Conversely, I only knew one United plastic from school which considering they were in a golden era you’d expect that it would have predominantly United plastics.

Currently, if younger fans don’t have a dad that’s particularly interested in taking them down the City then there’s no chance they can get into it because of ticket pricing and the lack of spare capacity.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Wookie said:

I was born in 97 and right through school I knew more Liverpool ‘fans’ than Leicester. They weren’t even the best side about then. They would have most likely been too young to understand the gravity of Istanbul and it’s not as if they won a lot after that. Conversely, I only knew one United plastic from school which considering they were in a golden era you’d expect that it would have predominantly United plastics.

Currently, if younger fans don’t have a dad that’s particularly interested in taking them down the City then there’s no chance they can get into it because of ticket pricing and the lack of spare capacity.

...and you can watch nearly every PL game or least highlights on the TV which would likely steer you to support a team that is successful or plays attractive football or has a player you particularly admire or because you like their kit/colours or just because they where the first team that you actually watched and enjoyed.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Markyblue said:

I have not for one second said that back in the day there was not some racism at Leicester but what I am saying is even in the 80s there were Asian and black lads who were attending regular with white lads when the likes of Liverpool belive me had almost an entirely white support so they seem a strange bedfellow for Leicester Asians who had suffered abuse at city to support. What my point is that it's far more likely to be they fancied supporting a great team and not the poor one we were and the racism angle is a bit of a cop out for not supporting your local team.it has to be said as well there are now plenty of Asians who do support us and fair play to them.

I was playing devils advocate between the two posts. Lets face it, every case is different. Some are just after glory and others may have different reasons. There's no definitive reason or answer.

Personally I couldn't give a flying fook who supports who and for what reason. I've always been proud being a Leicester fan, despite most of my school years during the 90's being surrounded by Liverpool and United fans. Never once cared about anyone else. You don't have to be from Leicester to support Leicester. If my Dad moved before I was born and I lived elsewhere, I'd still be a Leicester fan.

The only time I've felt annoyed is when we won the League. Seeing lads I knew from school now claiming they 'support' Leicester and some even managed to get tickets for the final few homes games.

As far as I am concerned, you pick a team and you stick by them. Same goes for the Liverpool fans mentioned in the OP. If Liverpool are their team, fine. If they class themselves as fans, fine. If they only watch them on TV, fine. But when Liverpool travel to Leicester, I'd rather not see them in the home end. Should Leicester taste glory again, I don't want to see them jumping on the bandwagon. Simple.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Wookie said:

I think this is spot on. If my Dad hadn't taken me to FS for that first game I wouldn't have given LCFC a second thought. And we were lucky that in those days you could just pitch up on the day and get a ticket.

Edited by SouthStandUpperTier
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Yeah, point, but they're still the club that people who've never been to an actual game support.

Now THAT is true. As the title has been shared about a bit recently you see more Man City and Chelsea fans slithering out of the woodwork. 

I'd absolutely hate it if LCFC became a magnet for thousands of hangers on in the Liverpool style.

I don't get it. Why would anyone support another cities football club ?? The name of the club is a giveaway, Liverpool, it's a city in North West of England that is not Leicester. They are someone elses club, nothing to do with us. It's why I would never refer to Manchester clubs as City and United.

One of the biggest things for me is that most of our crowd are either from Leicester, have a family connection with Leicester, or chose us not for wanting some sort of status amongst peers. The real Liverpool fans are probably just the same but all these wannabe's will never feel the pride in our respective clubs achievements as we do. When we go down the City we are amongst our own.

I have never fully understood why the towns of Market Bosworth and Ashby de la Zouch (local to me) are flooded with Liverpool 'fans' way above all others. I used to play football in Ashby and there were so many Liverpool replica shirts it was unreal. I guess it's the same with Man United 'fans' in Torquay, Tokyo and Trondheim!

5 hours ago, Wookie said:

We’re of similar ages (give or take a couple of years) and I think this just about sums it up. We were a bit young to understand the MON era really, the cup wins etc - so there wasn’t really anything to draw you in to city APART from the promotion back to the prem in 03 and a parent, uncle, whoever making an effort to take you. I’m a Leicester fan because my dad brought me up a Leicester fan but if that’s not the case for other people, of course they’re going to choose teams from a young age who are good and stick with them. 

I think the title win will have done its bit in capturing the hearts and minds of a few young fans who will hopefully stay with us for life. Leeds have fans from all over the country because of their golden history, I’m not saying we were anywhere near that level but it usually takes a memory, or a certain something positive to draw young fans in. 

6 hours ago, leicesterlad1989 said:

I was playing devils advocate between the two posts. Lets face it, every case is different. Some are just after glory and others may have different reasons. There's no definitive reason or answer.

Personally I couldn't give a flying fook who supports who and for what reason. I've always been proud being a Leicester fan, despite most of my school years during the 90's being surrounded by Liverpool and United fans. Never once cared about anyone else. You don't have to be from Leicester to support Leicester. If my Dad moved before I was born and I lived elsewhere, I'd still be a Leicester fan.

The only time I've felt annoyed is when we won the League. Seeing lads I knew from school now claiming they 'support' Leicester and some even managed to get tickets for the final few homes games.

As far as I am concerned, you pick a team and you stick by them. Same goes for the Liverpool fans mentioned in the OP. If Liverpool are their team, fine. If they class themselves as fans, fine. If they only watch them on TV, fine. But when Liverpool travel to Leicester, I'd rather not see them in the home end. Should Leicester taste glory again, I don't want to see them jumping on the bandwagon. Simple.

True. I support Leicester because I went to Leicester University and I went to see us reasonably often during that time. However I had liked them in the years prior to that. I live in Cardiff and both my boys, both born and bred in the city, support Cardiff City, which I think is right, even though my older boy also went to Leicester University!

South Wales is full of Liverpool and Manchester United fans. I did have a soft spot for United growing up because of George Best but I don't get this glory supporting, less so as I've got older. Why any youngster growing up in Leicester would support anyone else than the Foxes nowadays is strange to me.

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd
  • Like 1

As a child, I was a Liverpool fan, doing the old glory hunting thing in the late 70s, early 80s.

Always wanted Liverpool to beat Leicester - and bloody Leicester had a good record against them.

Got towards the late 80s and realised if they played each other again, I'd want Leicester to win.

My dear old dad let me make my own choices / mistakes with football.
Falling in love with LCFC was a slow, organic process for me.

PS. I don't give a shiit about Liverpool these days and haven't for a long time.

On 24/04/2018 at 22:26, st albans fox said:

This is true and I also think that a disproportionate percentage of Asian sub continent origin fans are Liverpool supporters (or more likely the children of Liverpool supporters). Quite why that’s the case I’m not sure but it’s going to be more relevant in Leicester than Bournemouth !

Afraid you are spot on about Asian kids. I grew up in Leicester during the 70’s and 80’s and that first generation of other Indian kids mostly supported Liverpool as they were always In the European Cup and had played the equivalent of ‘sexy’ football in those days. Their kids have just followed suit. You’ll be glad to hear I wasn’t one of them always followed City and the rollercoaster ride. Really thought Jock Wallace could have worked wonders with the right backing:scarf::scarf:

3 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

As a child, I was a Liverpool fan, doing the old glory hunting thing in the late 70s, early 80s.

Always wanted Liverpool to beat Leicester - and bloody Leicester had a good record against them.

Got towards the late 80s and realised if they played each other again, I'd want Leicester to win.

My dear old dad let me make my own choices / mistakes with football.
Falling in love with LCFC was a slow, organic process for me.

PS. I don't give a shiit about Liverpool these days and haven't for a long time.

That’s a revelation ! 

‘My name’s Geoff and I used to be a redman’

Your old man shouldn’t have played fast and loose like that! 

I always thought the club you really identified with as a kid was impossible to lose from your system .....  anyone else have this ‘slow organic’ experience of change ?

4 hours ago, st albans fox said:

That’s a revelation ! 

‘My name’s Geoff and I used to be a redman’

Your old man shouldn’t have played fast and loose like that! 

I always thought the club you really identified with as a kid was impossible to lose from your system .....  anyone else have this ‘slow organic’ experience of change ?

It's not something which has ever been a secret tbf.

My dad was very chilled out and wasn't one for brainwashing.

I was so young the red stuff just left the system pretty quickly.

First LCFC game aged 7, started going more and more, it was a slow-burning addiction.

22 hours ago, Saxondale said:

Yep same all over. I find it laughable when you go into a Leicestershire pub and see loads of idiots cheering on Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd or Chelsea. Even worse is when these 'fans' mock their local side.

What these people don't understand is the genuine connection people like us have with our club. It's their loss. They will never actually know what it feels like to be a real football fan. It's that simple.

That's what winds me up. They're actively shooting their own city in the foot.

Definite sign of weakness if you ask me.

8 hours ago, Wookie said:

I know a few lads that have been enlightened too, the feeling of supporting a team in the flesh whether they're euroshopper or world class can't be beaten.

When I started at high school I was sat next to this Man Utd fan. The usual glory hunting backstory. This was when we were in League One.

One weekend, tickets were cheap for one of our games, told him about it and told him to go. He did.

Naturally we drifted a bit over time.

Then one afternoon walking to the City Ground for the FA Cup game in 2012, I bump into him and he gives me a can he had spare. He saw the light.

• Like 1