Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bald reynard

Papy Mendy - coming back ?

Guest MattP
5 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Had great stats before joining us and was cruelly unlucky with his injury.  None of us know whether he is good enough or not but it seems silly not to have a good look at him in pre-season ad give him a chance.  Once assessed he either becomes part of the team or we sell him on.  Either option is better than simply moving on because some people think he was sh1t against Millwall.  X

Didn't we try to move him on last summer?

I seem to remember his agent coming out saying we had shown him no respect.

1 minute ago, MattP said:

May have slipped your mind but we have a different manager now. We may also have another new manager by preseason training. lol lol 

5 minutes ago, MattP said:

Not sure, possibly but I suppose that was a different set up/manager?  Not saying we will make it just that we should at least have a look at him?

Guest MattP
Just now, RumbleFox said:

Not sure, possibly but I suppose that was a different set up/manager?  Not saying we will make it just that we should at least have a look at him?

To be honest I've seen enough but if he gets another go of course he'll get my full support.

Guest MattP
2 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

If you can judge a player after one full game and three partial games you are a better man than me.  X

Seven games in all for us.

If Nice aren't even bothering to extend his time there that probably tells us something, we will hopefully aiming be a bit better than this in the summer.

If we do start the season with Mendy in midfielder I won't be the only one thinking it's a bit strange. 

7 minutes ago, MattP said:

Seven games in all for us.

If Nice aren't even bothering to extend his time there that probably tells us something, we will hopefully aiming be a bit better than this in the summer.

If we do start the season with Mendy in midfielder I won't be the only one thinking it's a bit strange. 

OK, my bad.  Still, 7 games is pretty good, you should consider being a scout maybe?  Regarding the highlighted section, please do not give straw men arguments, we are both above it.  I merely said let's look at him nowhere did I say "I love him let's play him from the start no matter what".  X

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 1

Guest MattP
8 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

OK, my bad.  Still, 7 games is pretty good, you should consider being a scout maybe?  Regarding the highlighted section, please do not give straw men arguments, we are both above it.  I merely said let's look at him nowhere did I say "I love him let's play him from the start no matter what".  X

7 games is usually enough time, you'll get a few oddities and usually those you miss will show their talent elsewhere. Vardy is an obvious call but one should always remember the extenuating circumstances of the level of football he was rising to in such a short space of time.

You could tell well before 7 games players like Kante and Maguire were going to be pretty good signings.

2 minutes ago, MattP said:

7 games is usually enough time, you'll get a few oddities and usually those you miss will show their talent elsewhere. Vardy is an obvious call but one should always remember the extenuating circumstances of the level of football he was rising to in such a short space of time.

You could tell well before 7 games players like Kante and Maguire were going to be pretty good signings.

Not disagreeing but, as you point out, it is clearly to early to rule him out completely else Vardy would have been on the scrap heap.  We obviously see things differently but I am coming from a "let's see" viewpoint and you seem to claim some form of knowledge which I am not confident enough to assert.  You may very well be right but I think he deserves at least a pre-season.  X

Apparently he was our first choice ahead of Kante, better distribution and cool calm player. I feel he was just downright unlucky and think he should get another chance, don’t think any player came out of that Millwall debacle with any credit, I even missed my telly when I went to boot it. If we arrange some decent pre season games (division 1 & 2 teams) give him & Kaputska a go..... :thumbup:

2 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Do we know why ?? Is it due to poor form or fitness ?? Or something else ??

From the little I've read in the French press, a bit of both.

Suffered from an unspecified injury in the last few weeks, only come back as an unused substitute for two games in a row.

OGC Nice record with Nice when playing: Three wins, four draws, seven defeats.

OGC Nice record with Mendy on the bench (and not playing): Seven wins, two draws, one defeat.

So, apparently they play better without him than with him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

if he hasn’t managed to pin down a place in nice’s first team then he isn’t good enough for ours. 

cant see much more to discuss. 

Albrighton wasn't good enough for Villa, Simpson QPR, Huth Stoke, Mahrez in and out of a league two french team etc. Other teams opinions aren't the be all end all. A manager being able to get the best out of someone and having them fit your system where others didn't can make a player. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Albrighton wasn't good enough for Villa, Simpson QPR, Huth Stoke, Mahrez in and out of a league two french team etc. Other teams opinions aren't the be all end all. A manager being able to get the best out of someone and having them fit your system where others didn't can make a player. 

not sure about Riyad being in and out but the other examples are mainly managers not rating those players within the playing structure they wanted to implement.  Nice knew mendy and they brought him back in on loan for the season.  None of the managers who allowed huth, albrighton and Simpson to leave were the ones who brought them into the club.