Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AjcW

Wembley - Private Ownership

4 minutes ago, rachhere said:

So so anti this. Should always be our national stadium. I know people aren't happy about the new Wembley having lost it's identity, but things are only going to get worse this way and it will just become another generic stadium... For a start, how long will it take for them to rename it... 

Flex-N-Gate Stadium Wembley - Done!

Could be being very short sighted here but, while it's a shame to think that our national stadium is going to be owned by someone else, it could inadvertently work out well for football couldn't it? 

To be honest I don't think there's much soul to lose here. Wembley is pretty soulless.

1 minute ago, Dan LCFC said:

Could be being very short sighted here but, while it's a shame to think that our national stadium is going to be owned by someone else, it could inadvertently work out well for football couldn't it? 

To be honest I don't think there's much soul to lose here. Wembley is pretty soulless.

Seem to remember them saying something similar about selling the railways... 

17 minutes ago, rachhere said:

Seem to remember them saying something similar about selling the railways... 

its a bit different to the railways!

I honestly cant see the issue as long as the money gets pumped back into grass roots.

45 minutes ago, davieG said:

The old Wembley was originally known as the Empire Stadium

From wiki - The Empire Stadium was built in exactly 300 days at the cost of £750,000. Described as the world's greatest sporting arena, it was ready only four days before the "White Horse" Final in 1923. The FA had not considered admission by ticket, grossly underestimating the number of fans who arrived at the 104 gates on match ...

Thank you for educating me 

• Haha 1

Just now, goose2010 said:

its a bit different to the railways!

I honestly cant see the issue as long as the money gets pumped back into grass roots.

The point being that you can think short term and think about the money that would come from it all, but in reality there will be nothing to show after a few years.

1 minute ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Would be a disgrace and shows the FA has no respect to their own football tradion IMO. Why does every asset in this country have to be sold to the highest bidder?

I'll answer that question for a tenner (or best offer)

I remember back in the early 00's there was talk about having a national stadium built in the midlands near Birmingham which was actually backed by Sven at the time. Mainly due to the fact they were thinking of the upcoming St Georges Park being based just down the road in Burton. But once again the Londoners got there way. To be honest I wouldn't be too sad to see England playing away from wembley, the atmosphere there is awful. Take it round the country again.

One thing to mention is the Commonwealth Stadium in Birmingham is being built and of course once the Commonwealth Games is completed in 2022 the venue will be vacant for someone?

Edited by Leicesterpool

12 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

I remember back in the early 00's there was talk about having a national stadium built in the midlands near Birmingham which was actually backed by Sven at the time. Mainly due to the fact they were thinking of the upcoming St Georges Park being based just down the road in Burton. But once again the Londoners got there way. To be honest I wouldn't be too sad to see England playing away from wembley, the atmosphere there is awful. Take it round the country again.

One thing to mention is the Commonwealth Stadium in Birmingham is being built and of course once the Commonwealth Games is completed in 2022 the venue will be vacant for someone?

Yes but it'll be designed for athletics

6 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

True but so was the London Stadium and originally the Etihad. 

Yes and it's cost millions to alter both of them.

Makes sense in a number of business ways but Wembley is supposed to be hallowed turf and we're prepared to flog it off to a Yank for that 5 mins of play per 4 hours(your regional national anthem brought to you by BepsiCo[lights go out as adverts play on the screens]), sport in body armor? Disgraceful

Though to be honest, it's been getting whored out since it was rebuilt with FA Cup semis and the completely flat qualifiers/friendlies England have been playing there. A return to not being tied down by giving the FA the money they'd make off of it in the next 25 odd years and having England tour the nation again with the huge number of quality stadia we have, in turn raising support for the national team around the country sounds better than what has been for the last 12 years or so.

Makes sense to me, always felt it was strange The FA renting out the ground to Premier League clubs, at least it can be totally business deals now. Also, if I'm correct, doesn't it mean that FA Cup Semi-Finals will no longer be played at Wembley?:schmike:

1 minute ago, davieG said:

According to news reports the FA have only owned Wembley for 19 years so it was something new anyway.

Many international teams don't have a stadium, the likes as Spain for example. I think there would be a better atmosphere at England games if the fixtures were spread out across the country.