Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AjcW

Wembley - Private Ownership

1 hour ago, SpazticChicken said:

Makes sense in a number of business ways but Wembley is supposed to be hallowed turf and we're prepared to flog it off to a Yank for that 5 mins of play per 4 hours(your regional national anthem brought to you by BepsiCo[lights go out as adverts play on the screens]), sport in body armor? Disgraceful

Though to be honest, it's been getting whored out since it was rebuilt with FA Cup semis and the completely flat qualifiers/friendlies England have been playing there. A return to not being tied down by giving the FA the money they'd make off of it in the next 25 odd years and having England tour the nation again with the huge number of quality stadia we have, in turn raising support for the national team around the country sounds better than what has been for the last 12 years or so.

Sounds to me like you want the best stadium in the country to be used about 10 times a year? Strange logic to me. 

So if the Jacksonville Jaguars move there, what will their name change to? Can't be London Jaguars or Wembley Jaguars, as that doesn't alliterate. I'd like to suggest the team is called the Jesus Christ why does it take 3 hours to get out of this flipping car park Jaguars, based on my own experiences of visiting Wembley.

3 hours ago, lildave3 said:

Sounds to me like you want the best stadium in the country to be used about 10 times a year? Strange logic to me. 

Biggest*

It's not really the best is it, surely? By any criteria? It's pretty awful for views and atmosphere.

I was really underwhelmed by it tbh.

5 hours ago, davieG said:

Yes but it'll be designed for athletics

So was Eastlands - and as far as ‘modern’ stadiums go I’d say that was the best of a bad bunch. 

Didnt realise you’d already fielded this response earlier on! 

Edited by Manini

6 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Biggest*

It's not really the best is it, surely? By any criteria? It's pretty awful for views and atmosphere.

I was really underwhelmed by it tbh.

Admittedly I've never been to the other candidates (Emirates/Old Trafford) but the first time I went there I thought it was amazing, and every time since I've felt the same. 

Don't really understand how it's awful for views? 

Edited by lildave3

6 hours ago, Manini said:

So was Eastlands - and as far as ‘modern’ stadiums go I’d say that was the best of a bad bunch. 

Didnt realise you’d already fielded this response earlier on! 

Construction cost £112 million (athletics stadium)
£22 million (football conversion)
£20 million (football fit-out)

43 minutes ago, lildave3 said:

Admittedly I've never been to the other candidates (Emirates/Old Trafford) but the first time I went there I thought it was amazing, and every time since I've felt the same. 

Don't really understand how it's awful for views? 

For the same reason it's awful for atmosphere, it's size demands such a shallow incline that you end up incredibly far back, it doesn't have the enclosed sensation of a steeper stadium. 

I sat at the front of the top tier for the charity shield and just wasn't impressed at all. I felt very disconnected from the action and everyone else. 

It's obviously a great piece of architecture but as a football stadium I don't really like it at all. 

Maybe it's a victim of its size, when you aim for that kind of capacity perhaps it'll never have that intense, almost claustrophobic kind of intimacy but I still personally wouldn't call it the best. 

Nor the Emirates anywhere close. You seem to equate modernity and size with "best" which just wouldn't be my criteria at all (and that's it, isn't it, we're completely just arguing our opinion tbf, there isn't really any "best.")

(nor am I the sort that claims Goodison or Selhurst are the best because they're "old English traditional grounds" btw) 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

For the same reason it's awful for atmosphere, it's size demands such a shallow incline that you end up incredibly far back, it doesn't have the enclosed sensation of a steeper stadium. 

I sat at the front of the top tier for the charity shield and just wasn't impressed at all. I felt very disconnected from the action and everyone else. 

It's obviously a great piece of architecture but as a football stadium I don't really like it at all. 

Maybe it's a victim of its size, when you aim for that kind of capacity perhaps it'll never have that intense, almost claustrophobic kind of intimacy but I still personally wouldn't call it the best. 

Nor the Emirates anywhere close. You seem to equate modernity and size with "best" which just wouldn't be my criteria at all (and that's it, isn't it, we're completely just arguing our opinion tbf, there isn't really any "best.")

(nor am I the sort that claims Goodison or Selhurst are the best because they're "old English traditional grounds" btw) 

Fair views. It's the only stadium I've been to in my adult life where I've got to the top of the stairs from the concourse and thought 'wow' the first time I attended. 

1 hour ago, lildave3 said:

Fair views. It's the only stadium I've been to in my adult life where I've got to the top of the stairs from the concourse and thought 'wow' the first time I attended. 

Yeah I can understand that, like I said it's definitely impressive architecturally. 

I just think as a venue to watch football it's a bit naff. I'll get all the old accusations of bias I'm sure but the Millennium Stadium is an infinitely better sporting venue for me. It generally tops most fan and player lists of favourite stadiums within rugby. Most English will begrudgingly admit its a better stadium and atmosphere than Twickenham. 

Old Trafford, even St James Park, Signal Iduna on the continent, these grounds that might give you less by way of facilities or personal space but have you shoved right on top of the action - they're definitely more my preference. 

Bit of an edit - slightly smaller but actually one of my favourite stadiums of the last few years was Parken, that was brilliant. Its relatively new, reasonably big and still felt like an old style football stadium. 

Edited by Finnegan

53 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Yeah I can understand that, like I said it's definitely impressive architecturally. 

I just think as a venue to watch football it's a bit naff. I'll get all the old accusations of bias I'm sure but the Millennium Stadium is an infinitely better sporting venue for me. It generally tops most fan and player lists of favourite stadiums within rugby. Most English will begrudgingly admit its a better stadium and atmosphere than Twickenham. 

Old Trafford, even St James Park, Signal Iduna on the continent, these grounds that might give you less by way of facilities or personal space but have you shoved right on top of the action - they're definitely more my preference. 

Bit of an edit - slightly smaller but actually one of my favourite stadiums of the last few years was Parken, that was brilliant. Its relatively new, reasonably big and still felt like an old style football stadium. 

You managed longer than I expected before mentioning millennium! Couldn't comment as I've only been outside it, never in. Not a big fan of Twickenham though it's incredibly dated. 

I didnt like st james either, I don't know how you can comment on the bad views at Wembley and then say Newcastle is better! Admittedly I've only ever been in the away end in the gods but jesus that shit is high.

• Haha 1

I think this is great news. It will give the Football Association enough funds to build a brand new 120K all seater stadium at St George's Park near Burton-upon-Trent.

Vacating London as many other businesses are doing will be good for football, good for fans and make accessibility to a more centralised location in England the best thing since Wembley was built. We don't need Wembley and all the hassle of travelling to and from them a nightmare. This is a "goalden" opportunity for the footballing authorities to do something right for a change.

4 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

I think this is great news. It will give the Football Association enough funds to build a brand new 120K all seater stadium at St George's Park near Burton-upon-Trent.

Vacating London as many other businesses are doing will be good for football, good for fans and make accessibility to a more centralised location in England the best thing since Wembley was built. We don't need Wembley and all the hassle of travelling to and from them a nightmare. This is a "goalden" opportunity for the footballing authorities to do something right for a change.

I doubt they'll build anything like that, they already suggested most of it being spent on a nationwide set of all weather pitches.

It all worked so well when Wembley was privately owned.  For example in the '66 world cup Uruguay played France at White City because the owners refused to cancel the greyhound meeting!

How soon will be before the Cup final has to be moved because some more lucrative (for Kahn) event comes along

4 hours ago, lildave3 said:

Funny that, It had the opposite affect on me, I thought 'is this it?'  the old Wembley impressed me more, maybe its an age thing.

Apart from the terrible atmosphere those awful hospitality areas and the terrible way they redesigned the steps added to my disappointment.