Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FoxesDeb

Moving Abroad

It's ironic really because I've just secured the job I've wanted for a while, but I'm so sick of living here, and the time is probably as good as it's ever going to be to make the move. But I can't afford to move in the hope of securing a new job, I need something definite before I do it. 

24 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

What's the best way to do this? It would be within the EU, do you need to move first and then find a job, or will people employ you before you actually make the move?

How many languages do you speak?  It's hard to get a job in many sectors unless you have a passable ability to speak the language of the country.  I've known perfectly competent people move then struggle.  I don't have any wish to crush your dream but it's worth being prepared.

I've worked in many countries in Europe on a temporary basis - some counties teach English as a second language and it's fairly widely understood, others you really need the local language.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

What's the best way to do this? It would be within the EU, do you need to move first and then find a job, or will people employ you before you actually make the move?

Intention to learn the language,even when one is starting out.

Because of Brexit, many companies might have,2nd thoughts, because of future  travel/work visas,and

the present unknown quantities.Many Europeans have the advantage,of being able to speak 2 languages,

So that gives then a competitive edge...just leaning on the negatives that is.

But there are also  1000s of positives and advantages. If you want it,go for it,but not with trepidation,

but belief and that old companion commitment. 

Where would be preferable,and what choice or choices for work,are you willing to step into.

What are your work skills. 

Do the simple queries 1st,Chose  a country, look then on Google, Jobs in/or living in  'xxxxxx' for English/Brits.

Go on site to the UK Organisations, within that country,use the UK/British embassy sites,and yes

use the words woman/female occasionally in your search.

Oh countries in Africa and China itself,will ASK alot for Just English native speakers,to Teach.

No certificates needed.

To give you a General taste look at www.Jobs.goabroad.com. then chose your country..

I have always worked,travelled and lived,abroad since my teenage Years,but mainly since I was

23yrs old...Eventually settling in Germany .Now 64 and early retirement.

If your single,close your eyes and jump.If Attached much depends on partners attitude,Charakter

and open thoughts. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

The problem is that the job I've got now is in England! 

I knew someone who lived in Slovakia or somewhere like that and worked here in England.  He was born and bred in England but met, married and had kids with a woman from Europe. His work were really flexible with him and let him work 12 hours per day for 2 and a half weeks with just a couple of days off, then he went back to his wife and children for 10 days or something like that.  He stayed with other family members whilst here. He did it for 3 or 4 years and last month he finally quit and moved over there permanently in a beautiful home with land. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FoxesDeb said:

Malta 

Language not an issue and I'd imagine with being a former overseas territory it will be easier than most countries as a non EU passport holder to move. You probably know more than I do though lol

I've done both, that is moving to a country with a job secured and moving with absolutely no plan.

It is a little bit more exciting throwing caution to the wind, but it can get a little overwhelming too. When you move country there's a lot of things you have to get to grips with quickly and it's nice to have the most important things in the bag. If it's a relatively short-term contract (like one year) you can always bin it later when you've had time to settle and look for better things. It's important to have something on the cards, at least.

EDIT: I've had a moment to remember how shit it was sitting in a hostel for a week looking for a job and apartment. Don't do that, have something sorted.

Edited by Asha
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Do a bit of research on Digital Nomads and related jobs. Loads of people choose to live abroad and work via the internet - It's possible to earn 'UK' wages whilst enjoying the benefits of experiencing living in different countries   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Go to Malta, you will love it there.

Edited by Happy Fox

1 hour ago, Crinklyfox said:

How many languages do you speak?  It's hard to get a job in many sectors unless you have a passable ability to speak the language of the country.  I've known perfectly competent people move then struggle.  I don't have any wish to crush your dream but it's worth being prepared.

I've worked in many countries in Europe on a temporary basis - some counties teach English as a second language and it's fairly widely understood, others you really need the local language.

Claude has managed to deceive a few people in this country.

1 hour ago, Milo said:

Do a bit of research on Digital Nomads and related jobs. Loads of people choose to live abroad and work via the internet - It's possible to earn 'UK' wages whilst enjoying the benefits of experiencing living in different countries   

When i had a good look into it a few years back, most people calling themselves digital nomads seemed to be doing things like youtubing, blogging, affiliate marketing, matched betting, poker and the like. All things from which making a good sustainable income is going to be very difficult. I'm sure there's a few people who have successfully taken their existing career and skills exclusively online, but the key part of that is having the skills in the first place. 

• Like 1

If you have a skilled job now, you might send out your CV to companies who could employ you.and see what kind of response you get.

Alternatively you could research which British based companies operate where you want to live and approach them.

Both are low risk and will give you a feel for the job market.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Malta 

First of all I'd say if you want to do , just do it. Then there are no regrets. 

Malta is a good choice as you'll be fine speaking English, though personally I found it a bit packed.

You'll be able to get a job teaching English for a private school. Pay won't be great but it'll give you the chance to see how much you like the place and the life (and the warm weather).

If you have any skills there is also the possibility of setting up on your own, property is affordable and entrepreneurship is valued.

You can find work online but I'd suggest going over there for a couple of weeks touring around and asking people about work in areas you like.

Enjoy. it's a great experience.

Malta 

Not sure what your area of expertice is Deb, but one of my ex clients are based in Malta - Corinthia Hotels.

Their 5 star flagship hotel is in London but their Head Office is in Malta. They all speak good English and are always looking for talent.

Here's their website FWIW

https://www.corinthia.com/en/about-us/careers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I wish I were in a position to even think of this. I'd love to live in France or Italy. I'm hoping what's going on doesn't wreck any chance of that in the future. Good luck to you if you do it!

I've spent enough time in Malta over the last couple of years to know that it's where I want to be. I love Italy too, and it's not far away ? Just need to be brave and make the leap, before I'm too old. Might need to see if the Corinthia need any help with their customer relations ?

• Like 1