Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

Russia 2018 - The World Cup thread

Sorry if this has been started already, couldn't find a thread by searching.

I know there's a specific thread on Team England, this one's a more general one.

Events in Russia, injuries, suspensions, surprise nominations, fans' experiences, put it in here! :thumbup:

I'll start with bad news for Germany, as Manuel Neuer will highly likely miss the World Cup due to his longer-lasting ankle injury:

https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/05/09/bayern-munichs-manuel-neuer-admits-his-world-cup-spot-risk-ahead-return-injury

Big blow to France, with Laurent Koscielny now being out for six months after rupturing his achilles tendon in the Europa League semi-final against Atlético:

https://theshortfuse.sbnation.com/2018/5/8/17331350/arsenal-injury-update-premier-league-laurent-koscielny-out-six-months

Just now, MC Prussian said:

Sorry if this has been started already, couldn't find a thread by searching.

I know there's a specific thread on Team England, this one's a more general one.

Events in Russia, injuries, suspensions, surprise nominations, fans' experiences, put it in here! :thumbup:

I'll start with bad news for Germany, as Manuel Neuer will highly likely miss the World Cup due to his longer-lasting ankle injury:

https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/05/09/bayern-munichs-manuel-neuer-admits-his-world-cup-spot-risk-ahead-return-injury

Big blow to France, with Laurent Koscielny now being out for six months after rupturing his achilles tendon in the Europa League semi-final against Atlético:

https://theshortfuse.sbnation.com/2018/5/8/17331350/arsenal-injury-update-premier-league-laurent-koscielny-out-six-months

Laporte and Mmmtitties not bad centre back pairing tbf. 

1 minute ago, MC Prussian said:

Big fan of Laporte myself.

As for Umtiti, he's carrying a knee injury, but £52m and he's yours.

He out as well or just a knock? 

Varane handy, Lucas likely to go. Shambles if Zouma or Rami get anywhere near the pitch. 

If they can square it up at the back they're going to be terrifying. 

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

He out as well or just a knock? 

Varane handy, Lucas likely to go. Shambles if Zouma or Rami get anywhere near the pitch. 

If they can square it up at the back they're going to be terrifying. 

He has issues with his left knee going into the league match against Villarreal:

https://www.barcablaugranes.com/2018/5/8/17332078/samuel-umtiti-injury-doubt-news-la-liga-villarreal-barcelona

We'll have to wait and see whether that'll impact his national team chances.

Loads of our players to keep an eye out for, hopefully. 

England

Vardy

Maguire

Japan

Shinji

Portugal

Silva

Denmark

Kasper

Nigeria

Wilf (if fit)

Nacho

Musa (lol)

Tunisia

Benalouane (lol)

Any more?

I think we only had one player at Brazil and that was Riyad.

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

England

Vardy

Maguire

Japan

Shinji

Portugal

Silva

Denmark

Kasper

Nigeria

Wilf (if fit)

Nacho

Musa (lol)

Tunisia

Benalouane (lol)

Any more?

Shinji and Silva probably aren't getting in the squads

Edited by MrSpaM

1 hour ago, MrSpaM said:

Shinji and Silva probably aren't getting in the squads

I think Silva might actually make the squad. He's not in great form but at least he is starting regularly now for Leicester. Plus he was a big part in the team that won the Euros and he plays really well in the middle with Carvalho. He might not be an automatic starter, but I could see him making the squad.

Shinji I think is definitely on the outside looking in, which is a shame. 

I know it's around just a month away now, but failing to be excited about this competition - which is rare as normally enjoyed the build-up to past ones.

Have no expectations with England, but as long as they just go for it and none of the pedestrian-style rubbish who knows how far they can go.

54 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

I know it's around just a month away now, but failing to be excited about this competition - which is rare as normally enjoyed the build-up to past ones.

Have no expectations with England, but as long as they just go for it and none of the pedestrian-style rubbish who knows how far they can go.

WINNIT

Just booked my (long) bus from Gdansk to Kaliningrad for England vs Belgium and I can't wait. It's going to be brilliant. 

Russia, or not, potentially seeing two of our players playing for England at a World Cup is a dream. It's a shame Drinky didn't stay and make it three. 

18 hours ago, Craig said:

Just booked my (long) bus from Gdansk to Kaliningrad for England vs Belgium and I can't wait. It's going to be brilliant. 

Russia, or not, potentially seeing two of our players playing for England at a World Cup is a dream. It's a shame Drinky didn't stay and make it three. 

Expect some funny scenes during border control. Poland and Russia aren't best friends and are trying to impress each other with the most dominant display of power on the border.

I did travel to Kaliningrad by bus once a few years ago and got to see two very pretty, but grim, earnest blondes in uniform, one on each side of the border, checking our passports near Granowo/Mamonovo. I'll never forget that parade. :D

Edited by MC Prussian

15 minutes ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

Hope we are due a decent World Cup overall the last three have been

very underwhelming with the South Africa one being the worst ever.

Really enjoyed the 1994 , 1998 and 2002 competitions.

I think 94 was probably the most entertaining World Cup I've seen to be honest.

As an Englishman in a foreign country, and indeed one which takes great delight in our sporting failure, I have had a rough 20 years.

Come in England, for once, I need you to put in a performance to give me smugness rights.

Having said that, it's deffo ze Germans or Brazil again to win it.

17 hours ago, bovril said:

I think 94 was probably the most entertaining World Cup I've seen to be honest.

94 was a little too early for me and what with it being in the US and no home nation interest it doesn't really do it for me.

Personally I really enjoyed 2006. '98 and '02 were pretty good, too.

19 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

So according to report Joe Hart is not in the world cup squad, seems that Southgate has grown a pair hopefully a few others that are in form will be picked rather than the usual names.

Good, Nick Pope absolutely deserves to go (would even be a candidate to start if he had played a few games already).

Never subscribed to the view that Hart should go based on experience at major tournaments. His experience amounted to the sum of nothing in terms of success, and not as if he is a calming presence based on how riled up he used to get himself pre match.

• Like 1

On 09/05/2018 at 15:35, urban.spaceman said:

England

Vardy

Maguire

Japan

Shinji

Portugal

Silva

Denmark

Kasper

Nigeria

Wilf (if fit)

Nacho

Musa (lol)

Tunisia

Benalouane (lol)

Any more?

Benny,s in the provisional squad for Tunisia.