Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

Russia 2018 - The World Cup thread

16 hours ago, Blue ROI said:

10 players from the club involved is staggering.

Would have been great for Ireland involved only for Eriksen but Leicester adds a bit of interest. If there was one more player I could have said I will be supporting Leicester City's XI!

And Christensen and Bendtner :scarf:

Any of Kanté/Fernandes/Kramaric/Kane/Lingard can kind of be counted as the 11th Leicester man :P:ph34r:

It's a World Cup tradition that there must always be a "Group of Death".

But which one is it this time? Harder than usual to identify.

I'd say Group D: Argentina, Croatia, Nigeria & Iceland, all of whom can have realistic hopes of qualifying

There's also Group E (Brazil, Switzerland, Serbia & Costa Rica), Group F (Germany, Mexico, Sweden & S. Korea) or Group H (Colombia, Poland, Japan & Senegal).

All the others have a team with little apparent chance of qualifying: Saudi, Iran, Australia, Panama

Thoughts?

Guest MattP

Group H certainly the tightest, feasible any of the four could win it.

Isn't really anything I'd say is a "group of death" this time though. D looks the toughest but I don't think Nigeria or Iceland will trouble the other two sides. 

16 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I'd say Group D: Argentina, Croatia, Nigeria & Iceland, all of whom can have realistic hopes of qualifying

There's also Group E (Brazil, Switzerland, Serbia & Costa Rica), Group F (Germany, Mexico, Sweden & S. Korea) or Group H (Colombia, Poland, Japan & Senegal).

All the others have a team with little apparent chance of qualifying: Saudi, Iran, Australia, Panama

Thoughts?

All groups are more or less balanced. I'd agree that group D is the most evenly matched on paper. Based on pedigree and history, Group E and F are the strongest overall.

Belgium/England and Spain/Portugal being grouped together also means there is higher potential for upsets in those groups.

28 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Thoughts?

The two tightest groups will be D&H, but I wouldn't say there's a standout group of death. Think Croatia will win D and Senegal might surprise a few from H. You'd expect Brazil and Germany to win their respective groups and could make a case for any of the others to come runner up. 

3 hours ago, shen said:

And Christensen and Bendtner :scarf:

Any of Kanté/Fernandes/Kramaric/Kane/Lingard can kind of be counted as the 11th Leicester man :P:ph34r:

Oh right.. That thing 

C0Xd3NwXgAEVR_z.jpg

Was good in a way that the Danes demolished us. The Henry incident in 2009 was a bit embarrassing. 

Best of luck. Roligans are always good! Hummel kit is top notch too. 

Have good memories watching Denmark in 1998.

Kramaric or kante can fight it our for number 11!

Edited by Blue ROI

2 hours ago, Blue ROI said:

Oh right.. That thing 

C0Xd3NwXgAEVR_z.jpg

Was good in a way that the Danes demolished us. The Henry incident in 2009 was a bit embarrassing. 

Best of luck. Roligans are always good! Hummel kit is top notch too. 

Have good memories watching Denmark in 1998.

Kramaric or kante can fight it our for number 11!

Loved watching the Danes at Mexico 86. Jesper Olsen, Michael Laudrup. They won all three group games (well - one was against Scotland so that doesn't count), but they also beat Uruguay and West Germany before getting spanked in the L16

Edited by stripeyfox
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Loved watching the Danes at Mexico 86. Jesper Olsen, Michael Laudrup. They won all three group games (well - one was against Scotland so that doesn't count), but they also beat Uruguay and West Germany before getting spanked in the L16

It's the big "What If" football story in Denmark. They knew beforehand, going into the game against Germany, that the winner of that game would face Spain in the knockout round and the second placed team would get a far easier tie.

The Danish team was far too proud and emotionally invested to speculate in losing against Germany; The Germans probably speculated just like they infamously did with the Austrians before.

Many believe Denmark had a squad that could go on and win the tournament, but they paid the price for their inexperience, naïvety and over-confidence.

11 minutes ago, shen said:

It's the big "What If" football story in Denmark. They knew beforehand, going into the game against Germany, that the winner of that game would face Spain in the knockout round and the second placed team would get a far easier tie.

The Danish team was far too proud and emotionally invested to speculate in losing against Germany; The Germans probably speculated just like they infamously did with the Austrians before.

Many believe Denmark had a squad that could go on and win the tournament, but they paid the price for their inexperience, naïvety and over-confidence.

Mexico 86 was a fabulous tournament. It was the first World Cup I was really into (I was 13 at the time). Mexico was a far away, hot and exotic country. The TV pictured conveyed the blistering heat and bright sun drenched pitches. 

We saw Josimar and the emergence of the South Koreans. England stuttering start before finding their groove against Poland and Paraguay. The Hand of God and the utter brilliance of Maradona in the space of four minutes. Brazil's heartbreaking penalty defeat by France.

• Like 1

It’s World Cup eve. And I’m really excited, firstly because it’s football and I really want and need to watch football.

and secondly because it’s the greatest football tournament ever, If we do well it’s a bonus and the fact we have a good chance of seeing two Lcfc played involved is even better. I can’t wait

????????

Will be surprised if none of Germany, France or Spain will be in the final.

Will be in the minority saying this, but have a feeling England will do well (making the semi-final would be a big achievement, and a Mark of good progress).

12 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Will be surprised if none of Germany, France or Spain will be in the final.

Will be in the minority saying this, but have a feeling England will do well (making the semi-final would be a big achievement, and a Mark of good progress).

I honestly haven't got a clue how England will do. 

We could just as easily go out in the group stages as reach the quarter finals I reckon.

We're such a young team and a lack of experience could ultimately cost us, but then again youthful exuberance might be in our favour.

Who knows :dunno:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I honestly haven't got a clue how England will do. 

We could just as easily go out in the group stages as reach the quarter finals I reckon.

We're such a young team and a lack of experience could ultimately cost us, but then again youthful exuberance might be in our favour.

Who knows :dunno:

I refuse to get my hopes up. But they do seem relaxed and happy. The media seem to be broadly behind Southgate. We should easily qualify from the group...

• Like 1