Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

Russia 2018 - The World Cup thread

Got a feeling Maguire will be on the standby list and Cahill will go instead of him, unless Walker is one of two right backs as I think he's now being classed as a RCB which means Trent-Arnold will potentially be a wildcard in the 23 to challenge Trippier.

Leicester City trio Kasper Schmeichel, Yohan Benalouane and Adrien Silva could all be on their way to the World Cup after being named in the provisional squads for the respective countries.

49 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Got a feeling Maguire will be on the standby list and Cahill will go instead of him, unless Walker is one of two right backs as I think he's now being classed as a RCB which means Trent-Arnold will potentially be a wildcard in the 23 to challenge Trippier.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he takes nine defenders, five full-backs and four centre backs.

Maguire will surely get in, even if he takes three CB's, Stones, Maguire and Tarkowski are surely a certainty. If he does take four then on form Lascelles deserves a spot.

4 minutes ago, kingfox said:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he takes nine defenders, five full-backs and four centre backs.

Maguire will surely get in, even if he takes three CB's, Stones, Maguire and Tarkowski are surely a certainty. If he does take four then on form Lascelles deserves a spot.

You not think he'll take Jones and/or Cahill?

16 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

You not think he'll take Jones and/or Cahill?

maguire deffo goes. don’t think cahill does. with walker as a centre half option and dier “capable” of fitting in there we don’t need many more centre backs but we’ll probably stock pile them anyway and not take anyone exciting. 

Guest MattP

Southgate doesn't seem to be one for risk or surprises. 

I think he might go with Shelvey though, I doubt Wilshere makes it given what he has said about him in the past.

24 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Livermore and Welbeck in apparently lol

Just goes to show the lack of real depth we have. Would rather risk taking Wilshere over Livermore who is unlikely to feature. 

I don't get how you can not pick Wilshere but pick Lallana instead.

Wilshere might not be everyone's cup of tea but if Southgate's omitted him because he hasn't played much, then how can he pick Lallana who's played considerably less football and is probably more injury prone right now. Wilshere's played a lot of football this season by his standards. 

On 11/05/2018 at 18:59, RODNEY FERNIO said:

Hope we are due a decent World Cup overall the last three have been

very underwhelming with the South Africa one being the worst ever.

Really enjoyed the 1994 , 1998 and 2002 competitions.

Last good one from start to finish for me was France 98.

The last few have started off great but then the good games get few and far between from the quarter final stage onwards. 

The 2010 World Cup was appalling. Worst one I can ever remember. 

13 minutes ago, Blue ROI said:

Last good one from start to finish for me was France 98.

The last few have started off great but then the good games get few and far between from the quarter final stage onwards. 

The 2010 World Cup was appalling. Worst one I can ever remember. 

I agree to an extent. The 80s and 90s World Cups were far superior to the ones since, but 2006 had it's moments. At least it was held in a proper footballing country and compared to most in the last 30 years it finished with a bang. The final was very memorable, albeit for astonishing drama rather than brilliant football, and the Italy-Germany semi-final was good.

2002 will unfortunately always be remembered for the hosts fixing matches, much like 1978.

In defence of 2010, both Spain and Germany were great international sides and if either had won you couldn't have complained. World Cups like 1994, 2002 and 2006 didn't even have one great side. I do think it's one of the worst World Cups, but the last one on Brazil is arguably the worst. 3 of the 4 semi-finalists were very poor teams and the knockout stages were so boring it was untrue.

If Brazil hadn't got thrashed in that semi-final, considering all the entertaining teams that referees had cut down to get them that far, I think it would have been hands down the worst.

Absolutely ****ing criminal taking Livermore and Lallana and leaving Wilshere and Shelvey at home, if that is indeed the case. Livermore was a regular in a relegated team ffs, and didn't play well at all, how on earth can you justify picking him?!