1 minute ago, Voll Blau said:

Hmmmm, interesting plan but by contrast I'd argue this gives them a great opportunity to actually try and learn and improve their defensive abilities. We're unlikely to get whatever India set, so why not go out with the mindset of wanting to prove everyone wrong after the first innings. Be as boring as you can, leave anything you don't need to play at and just see how long you can stay out in the middle for. Even if we end up getting bowled out in the end, I think the public will appreciate our order showcasing a bit of grit. Attack is the best form of defence sometimes, but if it doesn't come off people tend to only remember whichever shots end up costing you your wicket.

I totally agree but they won't do that. They've had so many opportunities to in the recent past and still haven't really even attempted it. They'll get out to a mish mash of edges and mistimed drives, as they usually do. That's really the only reason I think they should attack from the off as there's probably more chance of doing something that way (though it's an extremely long shot).

I'd love them to show grit and lose by batting out a day and a half and being 260 for 9 after 135 overs (but all evidence is to the contrary). It would show that they're capable of a long rearguard action which could be useful if they're chasing 300 in a day and a bit in the future. I just don't see it happening as I really don't think they're capable of it. 

1 hour ago, Max Wall said:

I totally agree but they won't do that. They've had so many opportunities to in the recent past and still haven't really even attempted it. They'll get out to a mish mash of edges and mistimed drives, as they usually do. That's really the only reason I think they should attack from the off as there's probably more chance of doing something that way (though it's an extremely long shot).

I'd love them to show grit and lose by batting out a day and a half and being 260 for 9 after 135 overs (but all evidence is to the contrary). It would show that they're capable of a long rearguard action which could be useful if they're chasing 300 in a day and a bit in the future. I just don't see it happening as I really don't think they're capable of it. 

Yeah, I agree with you that they're probably incapable of it - but they're never going to learn and build on these kind of experiences if they don't try. Again though, with this squad they'd probably see implementing such a negative game plan as an admission of defeat anyway and end up getting out in half the time.