Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Voll Blau

Cricket 2018

7 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Rashid and Stokes absolutely tearing it up.

Which spinner do you pick if you're going to have just one against the Aussies next summer? Guess it has to probably be Moeen but both Rashid and Leach have been good this tour.

Depends on the pitch really doesn't it. It's feasible that England could go with two spinners in at least one test. Barring a massive loss of form, Moeen will be one of them you'd imagine. I reckon Leach would be the other one though.

10 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Rashid and Stokes absolutely tearing it up.

Which spinner do you pick if you're going to have just one against the Aussies next summer? Guess it has to probably be Moeen but both Rashid and Leach have been good this tour.

Mo or Leach. Rashid doesn't have the control to be the sole spinner.

Great performance today but this lot are absolutely awful, I think Zimbabwe and Bangladesh would beat this Sri Lanka team. Impossible to replace Sangakarra, Jayawardena.

7 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

Depends on the pitch really doesn't it. It's feasible that England could go with two spinners in at least one test. Barring a massive loss of form, Moeen will be one of them you'd imagine. I reckon Leach would be the other one though.

4 minutes ago, MattP said:

Great performance today but this lot are absolutely awful, I think Zimbabwe and Bangladesh would beat this Sri Lanka team. Impossible to replace Sangakarra, Jayawardena.

Yeah, see where you're both coming from here. Moeen and Leach (when needed) it will likely be, then.

Just now, cambridgefox said:

I’ve been out and just looked at the score.

Thought the same.Where did that come from.

Shame I missed that as it’s a Saturday.

Sri Lanka were in total control at 173/1, we'd dropped a couple but they batted with ease at times. Their line up is a little threadbare though isn't it. Once England got a couple they just completely fell apart. After the tea break they were utterly abysmal.

One trrys to look at city...

what players do we need in the future,to get us consistently above 10,then into top 5-6..

2 of  young CBs to come into their own/New striker/2 top midfielders??

I suppose with England cricket...to get and stay nr01 for a good period....

Bairstow to make n03 his own!! An opener to score regular big runs,2 new Real fast Pace bowlers 1 to become regular,to threaten Jimmy ,Broady!!

Spinners to become Wclass.???

3 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Another impressive thing about the England team this series is how the spinners have all covered for each other...in each innings one has always delivered if the others couldn't. Very much like the one day batsmen.

I think I heard that this is the first time 3 England spinners have taken 12 or more wickets in the same series. They all chipped in, as you say.

Surprised that hadn't happened before in the days of Jim Laker and sticky dog wickets. Unless I misheard of course.

Very good series win although Sri Lanka were admittedly poor.

On the face of it an exception series win, around 50 years since the last England whitewash of the opposition on an overseas tour.  Sri Lanka really missing the class of Kumar Sangakkara and Mahala Jayawardene.  

Questions still remain around the opener and number three batting positions though.  I rate Bairstow in particular but he usually bats further down the order.  I won't believe that those positions are settled until the current incumbents have performed in a series against a decent pace attack.  Overall a very good result though.

On 26/11/2018 at 15:44, Crinklyfox said:

On the face of it an exception series win, around 50 years since the last England whitewash of the opposition on an overseas tour.  Sri Lanka really missing the class of Kumar Sangakkara and Mahala Jayawardene.  

Questions still remain around the opener and number three batting positions though.  I rate Bairstow in particular but he usually bats further down the order.  I won't believe that those positions are settled until the current incumbents have performed in a series against a decent pace attack.  Overall a very good result though.

I think Bairstow can be a decent option at 3 but we need openers that can stick around. Being 1 wicket down after a couple of overs exposes Bairstow (or Ali/Vince/Westley/Pope etc) to the new ball. This is why ideally we find a proper number 3 who is effectively a third opener and not push up a middle/lower order batsman. If we get a good first wicket partnership then having Bairstow come in to play aggressively would help build big innings. The problem is we so rarely do the first part.

On 24/11/2018 at 12:52, MattP said:

All 3 of our Spinners,have different releases,and deliberate different lines....Rashid this whole year,has taken the big wickets.

Rashid is a leg Spinner,so he will give  some respite for a batsman,but he is no less dangerous for it....

Alex Stewart only recently,gave a great analyse on the why and where fors on our 3 top spinners,arguing great points for all 3.

Best form..poor form. Saying Rashid from the 3 is the most difficult for batsman to pick,simple nature of the beast  facing leg spin..

And was adamant  enough to say,if you play 2 or 1 against the Aussie,you couldn't chose until you've seen the wicket...

Saying it you want containment..Moen and Leach,if you want guaranteed wickets,even if it's only 2-4,then Rashid...

2 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

All 3 of our Spinners,have different releases,and deliberate different lines....Rashid this whole year,has taken the big wickets.

Rashid is a leg Spinner,so he will give  some respite for a batsman,but he is no less dangerous for it....

Alex Stewart only recently,gave a great analyse on the why and where fors on our 3 top spinners,arguing great points for all 3.

Best form..poor form. Saying Rashid from the 3 is the most difficult for batsman to pick,simple nature of the beast  facing leg spin..

And was adamant  enough to say,if you play 2 or 1 against the Aussie,you couldn't chose until you've seen the wicket...

Saying it you want containment..Moen and Leach,if you want guaranteed wickets,even if it's only 2-4,then Rashid...

Moeen and Leach got 18 wickets each in Sri Lanka, Rashid got 11. Moeen and Leach also had a better average and economy rate than Rashid.

There is no argument left for Rashid anymore. He was lucky to play the third test.

We will only need one spinner against the Australians - maybe two for one test match at The Oval.

30 minutes ago, MattP said:

Moeen and Leach got 18 wickets each in Sri Lanka, Rashid got 11. Moeen and Leach also had a better average and economy rate than Rashid.

There is no argument left for Rashid anymore. He was lucky to play the third test.

We will only need one spinner against the Australians - maybe two for one test match at The Oval.

It seems you are determined to have your pound of flesh.....

14 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

It seems you are determined to have your pound of flesh.....

Just pointing out facts. 11 wickets in 3 tests in those conditions isn't great is it?

To be honest I don't know how they can justify dropping Leach now either - a young spinner comes in for his first four matches and has an average of 24 - that's seriously good and he has proved he can tie up an end while doing that.

Wouldn't surprise me if the choice between him and Ali comes down to the amount of right or left handers the Aussies have.

Leach might get the call on the basis they've bullied Ali into submission before, Ali might get the call because of the batting he offers as well.

3 minutes ago, MattP said:

Just pointing out facts. 11 wickets in 3 tests in those conditions isn't great is it?

To be honest I don't know how they can justify dropping Leach now either - a young spinner comes in for his first four matches and has an average of 24 - that's seriously good and he has proved he can tie up an end while doing that.

Wouldn't surprise me if the choice between him and Ali comes down to the amount of right or left handers the Aussies have.

Leach might get the call on the basis they've bullied Ali into submission before, Ali might get the call because of the batting he offers as well.

I could counter, Rashid taking the big wickets,enabled the other 2,to get the "easier". Wickets.

look I am neither for or against,I am just happy to follow the selectors choice...We have for the first time selector/selsectors who 

can look at the needs and show imagination,forethought and no longer bias!!!