Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Voll Blau

Cricket 2018

7 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

It gets worse... lol

Why would you need 15 players for a 16 over a side game anyway?! Great work for the bowlers, get well paid for bowling 2 or 3 overs and then sitting in the stands and not batting. We're certainly getting a long look into the dark, disturbing black hole that is Colin Graves mind. And guess what it's more messed up than any of us thought!  

Root's taken four for five to win the Roses match. Shame he doesn't back himself to bowl a bit more for England, I've always thought he's at least as capable as some of the spin options we've churned out in recent years - though hopefully that changes with the two Somerset lads getting a go now.

4 hours ago, TheyCallMeMrCarbohydrate said:

Colin Graves mind. And guess what it's more messed up than any of us thought!  

Somehow Graves was reappointed ECB Chairman on a 41-0 members count. 

Wasim Khan has been tasked with suggesting a 50 over competition in the new calendar. I've said for long, long time that the 50 over competition should be a knockout competition much like the FA Cup. The One Day Trophy final was a great event as was the inclusion of the minor counties in the early stages. 

21 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Somehow Graves was reappointed ECB Chairman on a 41-0 members count. 

Wasim Khan has been tasked with suggesting a 50 over competition in the new calendar. I've said for long, long time that the 50 over competition should be a knockout competition much like the FA Cup. The One Day Trophy final was a great event as was the inclusion of the minor counties in the early stages. 

Didn't we get knocked out by a minor county just before it got scrapped the first time? All I know is that the domestic cricket schedule has been a shambles ever since the advent of 20/20. You find something that the punters like ie. 20/20 on friday nights and then the players moan about switching formats every week. You go to playing it in a couple of weeks in June and it rains all the way through. You try and spread it out and then the championship gets pushed to the edges of the season.

I think if there was a way of keeping everybody happy we would have found it by now. 

Guest MattP
On 23/07/2018 at 13:30, TheyCallMeMrCarbohydrate said:

Absolutely brilliant. That's quite literally the best hat-trick it is possible to take in county cricket - Root, Williamson and Bairstow in the roses match. Impossible to top that I reckon!

12000 Test runs between them, the previous biggest was less than 3000.

16 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Oh my days, they actually hate cricket. lol

lol

Let's have the bowlers coming in on unicycles and two goal nets at midwicket. James Cordon and Jack Whitehall in goal and 10 runs if you score past then. 

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeMrCarbohydrate said:

Didn't we get knocked out by a minor county just before it got scrapped the first time? All I know is that the domestic cricket schedule has been a shambles ever since the advent of 20/20. You find something that the punters like ie. 20/20 on friday nights and then the players moan about switching formats every week. You go to playing it in a couple of weeks in June and it rains all the way through. You try and spread it out and then the championship gets pushed to the edges of the season.

I think if there was a way of keeping everybody happy we would have found it by now. 

Devon, I think it was?

• Like 1

Not keen on Rashid being recalled to the test squad. Do agree that he is probably our best spinner but sets a dangerous precedent, suggesting that you can not play county championship cricket and still get in the test squad. Will encourage players to drop down to white-ball only way more quickly, surely a bad thing.

Not sure on Porter either. Good player at championship level but not sure he's got that extra yard of pace you need on the international stage. His domestic success probably merits a call up though.

Guest MattP
3 hours ago, Osavo said:

Not keen on Rashid being recalled to the test squad. Do agree that he is probably our best spinner but sets a dangerous precedent, suggesting that you can not play county championship cricket and still get in the test squad. Will encourage players to drop down to white-ball only way more quickly, surely a bad thing.

Not sure on Porter either. Good player at championship level but not sure he's got that extra yard of pace you need on the international stage. His domestic success probably merits a call up though.

It's a horrible situation, even Yorkshire are annoyed by it, can you ever remember a county releasing a statement saying they are disappointed that their player has been called up for England? Terrible and the message it sends is appalling.

I don't think Porter will be good enough either, if the ball doesn't swing he could look miles out of his depth.

21 hours ago, Osavo said:

Lets quit the politics..

Rashid deserves more respect ,from the wide world OF cricket...

He was pushed,aside over many years of selection.

People should celebrate his,or ans players selection,when they are at the

Peak of their Form,no matter what age and past missed chances...its never too late.

Leave the lad to do his job,  such stupid point scoring,making him out to be an 'example to made of'

Just to get punditry pts for themselves.....FFS. Support out players you English mentally dickheads.

Its Sport,not Brexit..celebrate and support out sportman.  We have a major depressing issue in

British Sport,where ex-players,sports Journalist,Joe bloggs and his dog,go out on a limb,to deny

another person right to be just normally selected for his country ...when diving/ going Into nonsense irrelevant dialogue and immature rhetoric.

Rashid has done nothing wrong,other than becoming another player,who starting to realise the years

Of potential a bit later in his career.....Hes not a Problem Diva,but some have again decided to

Throwing  out their Voodoo doll out of the pram,just to denounce a guy getting his Chance....shame on you all!!!

12 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Lets quit the politics..

Peak of their Form,no matter what age and past missed chances...its never too late.

Leave the lad to do his job,  such stupid point scoring,making him out to be an 'example to made of'

Just to get punditry pts for themselves.....FFS. Support out players you English mentally dickheads.

Its Sport,not Brexit..celebrate and support out sportman.  We have a major depressing issue in

British Sport,where ex-players,sports Journalist,Joe bloggs and his dog,go out on a limb,to deny

another person right to be just normally selected for his country ...when diving/ going Into nonsense irrelevant dialogue and immature rhetoric.

Rashid has done nothing wrong,other than becoming another player,who starting to realise the years

Of potential a bit later in his career.....Hes not a Problem Diva,but some have again decided to

Throwing  out their Voodoo doll out of the pram,just to denounce a guy getting his Chance....shame on you all!!!

Aside from the likes of Vaughan et al trying to keep themselves in the media spotlight, to me there hasn't been much vitriol aimed at Rashid has there? The frustration is aimed at the ECB, not Rashid.

I agree he was ostracised for too long, but this does set a dangerous precedent.  

Guest MattP
1 hour ago, fuchsntf said:

Lets quit the politics..

Not a problem diva? The guy said he had no interest in red ball cricket anymore and then snuck in a quote that wanted a chance at a recall after one superb delivery.

I couldn't think of a better definition of a cricketing diva.

The ECB have let down the fans, County cricket, Yorkshire CCC and all the players committed to that system. 

RIght or wrong it’s put a hell of a lot pressure on Rashid to perform, and I’m not convinced he’ll do it. 

He shouldn’t be picked if you’ve put yourself unavailable for county cricket but all of this just emphasises the lack of quality in the county game. 

In Rashid's defence, he didn't ask to be selected. The picking and choosing of the cricket you play doesn't sit right with me but I doubt Rashid felt he was going to play Test cricket. He has bowled well with the white ball but Tests are a different game altogether and the lack of first-class cricket could be an issue.

Can understand Yorkshire's annoyance.

3 minutes ago, Corky said:

In Rashid's defence, he didn't ask to be selected. The picking and choosing of the cricket you play doesn't sit right with me but I doubt Rashid felt he was going to play Test cricket. He has bowled well with the white ball but Tests are a different game altogether and the lack of first-class cricket could be an issue.

Can understand Yorkshire's annoyance.

I can absolutely understand Yorkshire's annoyance. 

As for Rashid. The poor bloke gets asked to play and whatever he responds with is probably going to upset the majority. I can only imagine how many people (not to mention all the newspapers and media) would have criticised him harshly had he said no. The bloke really couldn't win. The move towards many playing one type of cricket is understandable though. Bowlers finish their careers with all kinds of problems with their body, spinners included, so it shouldn't be a surprise that many take the lucrative white ball route.

Whether the decision by the ECB is correct or not is a little more complex. I can totally see why it doesn't sit well with people but I do believe you should select the best players to win the game in every sport. The onus is then on them to prove the selectors to be correct. Ultimately, performance is the only barometer and if they keep taking 5fers in test cricket whilst only playing white ball county cricket, England, or any country would be mad to drop them.

I wish him luck, the spotlight will most certainly be on him.