Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Voll Blau

Cricket 2018

17 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Lyon was quality. Did well with a pitch that wouldn't do too much and manufactured some good bowling out of it.

Wonder how different the game would have been if we'd have had Ashwin playing!

You'd have to assume Ashwin would have made a significant difference, especially with his extra bounce.

As for Lyon, bit of an unsung hero really. Dogged batsman and a better than decent bowler. Interesting finale to come (it's a three test series isn't it?)

4 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

You'd have to assume Ashwin would have made a significant difference, especially with his extra bounce.

As for Lyon, bit of an unsung hero really. Dogged batsman and a better than decent bowler. Interesting finale to come (it's a three test series isn't it?)

4 :) (although I've never understood and even number of series!).

Next one starts on Christmas Day (11.30pm British time) for the traditional Melbourne Boxing Day test and then 2nd Jan in Sydney. 

• Thanks 1

Are there any first class cricket commentators in English language major broadcasting that weren't first class cricketers? 

Watching the MCG game and it's Hussey, Gilchrist and Waugh. Obviously on sky its nearly always ex players. 

Only just dawned on me that cricket doesn't seem to have the Journalist Commentator with ex Pro pundit format as most other sports. 

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Are there any first class cricket commentators in English language major broadcasting that weren't first class cricketers? 

Watching the MCG game and it's Hussey, Gilchrist and Waugh. Obviously on sky its nearly always ex players. 

Only just dawned on me that cricket doesn't seem to have the Journalist Commentator with ex Pro pundit format as most other sports. 

The only one I can think of is Harsha Bhogle. He used to do a lot of the IPL stuff.

10 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Charles Colville on Sky, and a couple on TMS I think. Dan Norcross started out just by doing his own commentary online.

Looks like South Africa v Pakistan is going to be the more interesting Boxing Day Test judging by the state of this pitch. I don't much care for them, but the Saffers' attack is a joy to watch when it's on top with the ball.

23 minutes ago, Bert said:

Tim Paine with some great sledging behind the stumps. 

Great to see Cooky with a deserved knighthood. 

Was just about to mention Paine's vocals, sat here giggling to myself. He's been funny all tour. I've heard it said (half jokingly) before that Matthew Wade used to be in the side more because he was annoying than because he was good with glove or bat. 

Do wicketkeepers have a reputation in cricket a bit like scrum halves in rugby? The gob shites of the team? 

I suppose they're well placed for it. 

5 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Was just about to mention Paine's vocals, sat here giggling to myself. He's been funny all tour. I've heard it said (half jokingly) before that Matthew Wade used to be in the side more because he was annoying than because he was good with glove or bat. 

Do wicketkeepers have a reputation in cricket a bit like scrum halves in rugby? The gob shites of the team? 

I suppose they're well placed for it. 

Small, often slight but sometimes stacked, good hands and reaction speed and a very big mouth?

Yeah, that's about right.

7 hours ago, Izzy said:

How sad for Strauss to lose his wife so young. Tragic :(

RIP.

Ruth Strauss, the wife of former England captain and director of cricket Andrew Strauss, has died at the age of 46 as a result of a rare lung cancer.

She was diagnosed with the disease in December 2017, and her husband stepped down from his role at the ECB in October after three and a half years.

They had two sons - Sam, 13, and Luca, 10 - after marrying in 2003.

Andrew Strauss said it gave the family "huge comfort" that his wife had died in Australia, where she was born.

In a statement, he also said the family would be launching a foundation to help others affected by cancer.

"It is with great sadness and immense grief that we have to announce that Ruth passed away today as a result of her rare lung cancer," he said.

"Sam, Luca and I will miss her terribly.

"Anyone who has met Ruth will know how loving, caring and passionately protective she was of her family and it gives us huge comfort that she was in Australia, the land of her birth, surrounded by those who love her, in her final moments.

"We would like to send our heartfelt thanks to those that have helped with her treatment over the last 12 months, in particular the wonderful team at University College Hospital in London.

"Ruth desperately wanted to help those affected by this terrible disease and we will be launching a foundation in due course to raise much needed funds to aid research and also to offer support to patients and their families."

Tom Harrison, chief executive of the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB), said: "Ruth was an extraordinary and inspirational person and will be greatly missed by everyone whose life she touched, including her many friends in cricket.

"Our love, thoughts and prayers are with Andrew and their two sons, Sam and Luca, at this extremely difficult time."

I like Pant tbh, he might be young and his keeping in swinging conditions leaves a bit to be desired, but I think he has a top attitude and at times his batting is excellent. Reckon he'll be India's first choice keeper for a few years now. That sledging to Paine was brilliant lol

On 29/12/2018 at 23:31, davieG said:

RIP.

Ruth Strauss, the wife of former England captain and director of cricket Andrew Strauss, has died at the age of 46 as a result of a rare lung cancer.

She was diagnosed with the disease in December 2017, and her husband stepped down from his role at the ECB in October after three and a half years.

They had two sons - Sam, 13, and Luca, 10 - after marrying in 2003.

Andrew Strauss said it gave the family "huge comfort" that his wife had died in Australia, where she was born.

In a statement, he also said the family would be launching a foundation to help others affected by cancer.

"It is with great sadness and immense grief that we have to announce that Ruth passed away today as a result of her rare lung cancer," he said.

"Sam, Luca and I will miss her terribly.

"Anyone who has met Ruth will know how loving, caring and passionately protective she was of her family and it gives us huge comfort that she was in Australia, the land of her birth, surrounded by those who love her, in her final moments.

"We would like to send our heartfelt thanks to those that have helped with her treatment over the last 12 months, in particular the wonderful team at University College Hospital in London.

"Ruth desperately wanted to help those affected by this terrible disease and we will be launching a foundation in due course to raise much needed funds to aid research and also to offer support to patients and their families."

Tom Harrison, chief executive of the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB), said: "Ruth was an extraordinary and inspirational person and will be greatly missed by everyone whose life she touched, including her many friends in cricket.

"Our love, thoughts and prayers are with Andrew and their two sons, Sam and Luca, at this extremely difficult time."

Noo!!!  What a damn shame..she seemed to be a great wife to a top sportsman..

I can remember the camera  shot,of her delight seeing her man get his first international hundred.....

RIP  ...Ruth Strauss..

Want to say,has a stalwart England cricket supporter..

India have found a great Wclass pace  bowling attack...Bumrah,and Sharma,plus great back-up....

They Could well turn out to be as good as....Anderson-Broad era!!!

I do enjoy watching India..England did well in winning the last series..:)