Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Jamie Vardy

20 hours ago, Uncle Monty said:

Oh he'll deffo get some game time then.

22 hours ago, CarbonVirtine said:

I'm inclined to agree. It's not looking as though he even features in Plan B. I think he might be the 'Plans gone tits up, last roll of the dice' option.

Same here.

I really hope he smashes a penalty in , if we're involved in a shoot out.

There's no way he'll refuse  - given the opportunity

• Like 1

He just doesn't look as though he fits in with England on or off the pitch to me.

The TV pundits and journos can't wait to have a pop at him. When you think of the out and out carp we've had play for England over the last few years and hardly a murmur against some of the Spurs and Liverpool duds.

I always hope that the feeling of awkwardness he has with England puts him off for signing for a top 6 club as the prejudice he faces with England would/could be replicated by any of the top 6.

Give him a good extended contract to complete his top level playing days with us. The man is a legend.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mod hero said:

Why would England play Kane at number 10? He scores 40 odd goals a season at number 9.

Cos he takes 200-odd chances to get that number, and England don't create that many. Play Vardy at 9 and he'll put at least one of the two chances he gets away, and Kane can sniff about and use the space JV will leave. 

It wont happen, but if we understood the difference in tactics required between playing for a Top 6 Prem club and a second tier international side then it would...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

Cos he takes 200-odd chances to get that number, and England don't create that many. Play Vardy at 9 and he'll put at least one of the two chances he gets away, and Kane can sniff about and use the space JV will leave. 

It wont happen, but if we understood the difference in tactics required between playing for a Top 6 Prem club and a second tier international side then it would...

As much as I dislike the guy, Harry Kane is arguably world class and is a better all round player than Vardy. Forget the fact that Vardy is a legend for Leicester for one minute.

you only had to see the game against Costa Rica the other night to see Vardys performance. 

For Vardy to start for England they would have to completely change the style they play and they don’t really have the players to play like Leicester do/did

Edited by mod hero
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, mod hero said:

As much as I dislike the guy, Harry Kane is arguably world class and is a better all round player than Vardy. Forget the fact that Vardy is a legend for Leicester for one minute.

you only had to see the game against Costa Rica the other night to see Vardys performance. 

For Vardy to start for England they would have to completely change the style they play and they don’t really have the players to play like Leicester do/did

Vardy is the more clinical finisher, based on chances converted in the PL last season.

The idea that Vardy can only score playing ‘to his strengths in the counter attack’ is out dated, and has been totally disproven under the tactics employed over the last season with Puel.

He won’t start, but he should do imo in tandem with Kane. 

18 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Vardy is the more clinical finisher, based on chances converted in the PL last season.

The idea that Vardy can only score playing ‘to his strengths in the counter attack’ is out dated, and has been totally disproven under the tactics employed over the last season with Puel.

He won’t start, but he should do imo in tandem with Kane. 

Has Vardy ever played well as 2? Those tactics are out dated. Can’t think of any team who play with 2 out and out strikers.

1 minute ago, mod hero said:

Has Vardy ever played well as 2? Those tactics are out dated. Can’t think of any team who play with 2 out and out strikers.

As has been said by others playing exactly the same format as everyone else, makes no sense to me.

Its too late now, but teams operating systems that are different to the opposition, or those who are ‘breaking the mould’, playing their own game to suit their most potent players historically perform well.

4 hours ago, mod hero said:

Why would England play Kane at number 10? He scores 40 odd goals a season at number 9.

If Vardy had as many chances, in as many games, he'd have 40+.

David Platt played midfield centre and scored plenty. Position isn't all that if you're good enough.

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

lol 

She’s quite funny that lady, I’ve seen her do a few things and she plays the dry, very matter of fact thing off quite well. Vardy is just one of us as well isn’t he really lol 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm yet to see an international team or even a recognised domestic team play with two strikers like Kane and Vardy, it just doesn't happen. Not when both play on the last man. Yes, Vardy can be asked to play different roles up front but truth be told he's always wasted if he's anything other than being the focal point in a fast and direct team. Kane has many attributes at leading the line and finishing, pace he doesnt really have and with the way England look to play it's sometimes frustrating.

Vardy is Kane's back up. Welbeck and Rashford can't lead the line effectively and their goalscoring records just aren't reliable enough to be our centre forward, however they can both play as a 2nd striker, be that out wide or in behind and that's why they're likely to start over Vardy if Kane is playing. As Kane is now captain it really is a case of Vardy being the understudy who may barely get a chance but I've a feeling he's got a story left to write and it's likely to come in the latter stages. 

Welbeck is a bit of a clown but to be fair to him he's performed better for England than he does at club level so I've no complaints about him being in the squad, likewise Rashford is a talent who is capable of sparking something for England. There is definitely times when he is the better option to start alongside Kane or even Vardy is Kane isn't to play. 

If this makes it look like Vardy is 4th choice then so be it, but really he's 2nd choice to play the number 9 and Rashford is 2nd choice and Welbeck 3rd choice to play a support role behind Kane and the 1st choice appears to be Raheem Sterling. I can't really argue with what Southgate is doing, I really think he's slowly building something with England but we have seen many false dawns before and then it's chopped and changed.

Vardy will do the business when he's needed. He'll get 15-20 mins vs Tunisia and/or Panama and if we're going for it vs Belgium he's likely to be needed. We're likely to face tight knockout games against any of the potential last 16 opposition should we get there and when defences are tired as extra time looms, then there's no other player in the world you'd want to unleash than Vardy. Chill (not Chilwell)

Elegant and articulate comment Ric

• Like 1

What other national teams have two strikers that have scored 20+ goals each??

Vardy is one of England’s best players, he should be starting alongside Kane.

In the words of Mike Bassett England should be playing 4 4 fuching 2! 

We all know what's going to happen. It's 0-0 v Germany in a tight game with 20 minutes to go. Southgate looks to bench for a solution up front and the answer is obvious to him. Sterling comes off....and on comes Danny Welbeck.

• Haha 3

Im sorry to say it but I really don't enjoy seeing Jamie play for Eng. He looks so inhibited and restricted. It's like he's been over coached and all the natural instincts taken out of him. He rarely recieves the early ball he thrives on a is so peripheral. It frustrates the feck out of me, so can't imagine what Jamie feels. He could be lethal for Eng, but currently we will only see a fraction of his talent. Shame!!