Jump to content

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, lildave3 said:

He was isolated for the majority of 2018. 

Still hit 13 in all competitions this calendar year...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, linemakers said:

The only playmakers we have are Wiltshire and Shelby, should of taken one of them. We had wingbacks but can only remember Trippier being the only one to cross the ball. Think in the Croatia game we had one cross from open play

which is why he is inept, as he couldn’t change the system when we needed to

 

lol 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Still hit 13 in all competitions this calendar year...

Exactly, he was fantastic. Never claimed otherwise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stadt said:

lol 

 

 

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

lol 

 

Yep I think it’s funny as well and sad that we only have those two in the Prem. I think Maddison could well do it in the future if he keeps progressing as he is 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, linemakers said:

 

Yep I think it’s funny as well and sad that we only have those two in the Prem. I think Maddison could well do it in the future if he keeps progressing as he is 

I don’t know who Wiltshire and Shelby are. Did you mean Shelvey and Wilshere? lol 

Edited by Stadt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Stadt said:

I don’t know who Wiltshire and Shelby are. Did you mean Shelvey and Wilshere? lol 

 

 

11 minutes ago, Stadt said:

I don’t know who Wiltshire and Shelby are. Did you mean Shelvey and Wilshere? lol 

 

Of coarse I forgot those two as well. Bloody phone lol

teach me four knot reeding wot I putt

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, weller54 said:

Maddison,  Chilwell, Barnes.. 

Doubt Gray will make the grade! 

what are you basing Barnes on? he's shown less than Gray who seems to be the new U21 captain for England

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/07/2018 at 21:23, yorkie1999 said:

Southgate is just another yes man for the fa and there’s been many many of them down the years. Tactically inept.

Whilst pressure washing the drive yesterday I got to thinking about Jamie Vardy - maybe it was a crumbled bit of tarmac that appeared, under pressure, which resembled his face. Anyway, and I'm sure the more astute members of this forum have perceived the huge problem Southgate and a succession of City managers have come up against (and commented on it)....but this isn't ineptness as much as the paucity of creative midfielders able to bring Vardy's talents into play.

Southgate, I believe, has commented on this, and he's right. Don't blame Southgate for the problem the FA and the big broadcasters' money has created - that is, the recruitment of creative midfielders from the four corners of the earth - rather than from the four corners of the British Isles. Southgate has to work to bring in the results by fielding those most likely to create the highest percentage of goal scoring opportunities. If the only player who, even partially fits the mould of creative midfielder is Alli, the man with an apparent phobia about passing to Vardy, then Vardy was always going to be the second option.

When Mahrez was fully committed to playing ninety-minutes of every game then the fireworks happened - consistent goal scoring and some incredible goals. Anyone blaming either Southgate, Vardy and, currently Puel, for the lone wolf waiting patiently and often ultimately unsuccessfully, for the killer pass, is misperceiving what's going on. We can blame the FA for its spineless acquiescence in selling its soul to mammon and until they put British players first, then, unless some genius is unearthed and manages to shove his head up through the ranks of the Hazards, de Bruynes and Özils then it will be same old, same old.

As for City, we're pinning our hopes on Maddison, but it may be that, arguably, one of the two best English striker of his generation will never reach the pinnacle of fame he deserves - because there's no one in either the English or City sides capable of feeding him the passes he needs. Puel can either accept that he has a player whose loyalty to City, laudable though it is, presents him with a half-problem he cannot solve or endeavour to create tactics and train the players which can provide a solution.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Gerbold said:

Whilst pressure washing the drive yesterday I got to thinking about Jamie Vardy - maybe it was a crumbled bit of tarmac that appeared, under pressure, which resembled his face. Anyway, and I'm sure the more astute members of this forum have perceived the huge problem Southgate and a succession of City managers have come up against (and commented on it)....but this isn't ineptness as much as the paucity of creative midfielders able to bring Vardy's talents into play.

Southgate, I believe, has commented on this, and he's right. Don't blame Southgate for the problem the FA and the big broadcasters' money has created - that is, the recruitment of creative midfielders from the four corners of the earth - rather than from the four corners of the British Isles. Southgate has to work to bring in the results by fielding those most likely to create the highest percentage of goal scoring opportunities. If the only player who, even partially fits the mould of creative midfielder is Alli, the man with an apparent phobia about passing to Vardy, then Vardy was always going to be the second option.

When Mahrez was fully committed to playing ninety-minutes of every game then the fireworks happened - consistent goal scoring and some incredible goals. Anyone blaming either Southgate, Vardy and, currently Puel, for the lone wolf waiting patiently and often ultimately unsuccessfully, for the killer pass, is misperceiving what's going on. We can blame the FA for its spineless acquiescence in selling its soul to mammon and until they put British players first, then, unless some genius is unearthed and manages to shove his head up through the ranks of the Hazards, de Bruynes and Özils then it will be same old, same old.

As for City, we're pinning our hopes on Maddison, but it may be that, arguably, one of the two best English striker of his generation will never reach the pinnacle of fame he deserves - because there's no one in either the English or City sides capable of feeding him the passes he needs. Puel can either accept that he has a player whose loyalty to City, laudable though it is, presents him with a half-problem he cannot solve or endeavour to create tactics and train the players which can provide a solution.

The creator is only one part of the current problem for Vardy for club and country, the other problem is how chances are created for him when the opposition sit deep. To forge a one on one or for Vardy to get the ball on the run and to get a shot off is increasingly difficult in a heavy possession based system where the oppositions team is afforded the luxury of setting itself every time an attack is launched by us. His record against the better teams in this league is merely because we get more opportunity to counter attack against a higher line of defence and give Vardy that freedom to break the lines and he'll have a field day. He's adapting his game now to become more clinical in the fewer chances he gets, he'll still score goals against teams that allow us all of the ball but in terms of his style of play differing it's not so different to it's ever been he just knows know to be ruthless when the chances come his way. Another creative player to Maddison wouldn't go a miss though because when we do get the ball in space we still need that ball threading through, Maddison looks ideal to link up well and Ghezzal has shown signs of great promise in this league already, it would be great to see him notch another 20 league goals this season and push towards the 100 PL goal landmark for us.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm hoping we see a bit more of the old Vardy, now that he can focus fully on his club football and has had this mini break of 3 games. I know he is older and also evolving into a different type of striker due to his age and the evolution of our style, but I'd still like him to close down like he used to and really hassle defenders into mistakes and make those runs into channels or look for the ball over the top or through the middle. Even with our new style, there are still opportunities for that type of play and on his day, he can be almost unplayable when buzzing about like he used to. I expect him to score tomorrow :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

The creator is only one part of the current problem for Vardy for club and country, the other problem is how chances are created for him when the opposition sit deep. To forge a one on one or for Vardy to get the ball on the run and to get a shot off is increasingly difficult in a heavy possession based system where the oppositions team is afforded the luxury of setting itself every time an attack is launched by us. His record against the better teams in this league is merely because we get more opportunity to counter attack against a higher line of defence and give Vardy that freedom to break the lines and he'll have a field day.

Exactly this.

The best teams have a way of unlocking any defence but recruiting those players who give that kind of service costs the proverbial silly money. City, for one season at least, benefited from a Mahrez who was fully 'there' - and could flummox any defence. I'm still hoping that Puel is tactically astute enough to optimise the potential we all know Vardy possesses. Could be that Ghezzal is one of the solutions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Vardy could be effective in tightly-packed situations using the wall pass, but this needs good understanding between himself and the provider, and the provider has to be very special in his ability to pick and play that final ball. Maddison looks the player for that provider role, and hopefully we will see some of that kind of tactic developing as they play together more.

 

I can't think of any other striker (well, maybe Aguera) who comes close to Vardy in terms of alertness, sharpness, directness, aggression, singleminded determination and speed off the spot - all qualities that ideally suit this tactic, and Vardy has them all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vardy would benefit from us playing at a higher tempo, difference between quality possession side and averages ones is the ability to vary the pace of play.

 

Are first instinct to play backwards, we need to be a bit more forward thinking.

 

Also we need to commit more numbers.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, deep blue said:

I think Vardy could be effective in tightly-packed situations using the wall pass, but this needs good understanding between himself and the provider, and the provider has to be very special in his ability to pick and play that final ball. Maddison looks the player for that provider role, and hopefully we will see some of that kind of tactic developing as they play together more.

 

I can't think of any other striker (well, maybe Aguera) who comes close to Vardy in terms of alertness, sharpness, directness, aggression, singleminded determination and speed off the spot - all qualities that ideally suit this tactic, and Vardy has them all.

Vardy can score in tightly packed situations but let’s be honest his real skill is his pace and touch on the shoulder of the last defender. The less we play like this, the less Vardy will score comparatively to seasons when we have played on the counter.

 

I actually think Puel is trying to play on the counter and then if the option isn’t there to hold possession and play ‘possession based football’ around the final third.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Swan Lesta said:

Vardy can score in tightly packed situations but let’s be honest his real skill is his pace and touch on the shoulder of the last defender. The less we play like this, the less Vardy will score comparatively to seasons when we have played on the counter.

 

I actually think Puel is trying to play on the counter and then if the option isn’t there to hold possession and play ‘possession based football’ around the final third.

Yeah I wondered this given our slow starts.  Whether the tactic is to soak up pressure for a bit and try and hit on the counter then grow into the game and start having more possession as the opposition tire?  Or maybe we are just sh1te at starting matches, not sure.  As for Vardy I do think the very best players evolve their games as they get older and Vardy will not always be the fastest player on the pitch so he might need to tweak the way he plays anyway.  The good thing is Vardy does seem to learn and improve each season so hopefully he can evolve as we do as a team.  X

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Yeah I wondered this given our slow starts.  Whether the tactic is to soak up pressure for a bit and try and hit on the counter then grow into the game and start having more possession as the opposition tire?  Or maybe we are just sh1te at starting matches, not sure.  As for Vardy I do think the very best players evolve their games as they get older and Vardy will not always be the fastest player on the pitch so he might need to tweak the way he plays anyway.  The good thing is Vardy does seem to learn and improve each season so hopefully he can evolve as we do as a team.  X

In that Nice article in the Puel in thread it said Puel used to effectively play the counter attack. It seemed strange to me at the time.

 

Is it possible Puel is failing to play the counter with the team who became world famous with that tactic?

 

I guess we no longer push teams out wide, are focusing on keeping possession and Ndidi often gives the ball away. But still.

 

Here's hoping for a better start today anyway!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Foxxed said:

In that Nice article in the Puel in thread it said Puel used to effectively play the counter attack. It seemed strange to me at the time.

 

Is it possible Puel is failing to play the counter with the team who became world famous with that tactic?

 

I guess we no longer push teams out wide, are focusing on keeping possession and Ndidi often gives the ball away. But still.

 

Here's hoping for a better start today anyway!

I think there are two main ways to play the counter attack. 

 

Pre-Puel, we played on the counter with longer passes into Vardy and Mahrez. We sat very deep as a team and exploded out when we regained possession, either with a long direct ball over the top or into the channels, or with a direct runner like Mahrez or Okazaki. This was obviously highly successful for us then.

 

Puel now, also plays a counter attacking style, but IMO, it is much more possession based and requires lots of quick, short passes and many players having a touch and a role. It is still considered a counter attack, but is less direct in terms of distant a ball is passed or how long an individual player holds onto the ball. 

 

IMO Vardy is better suited to the former counter attack style, but with his age and how rounded he has become as a striker, he is more than capable of doing well in this new system too. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×